Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in lower 6th and hoping (and praying) that I get into Cambridge. However, I am entertaining the possibility that that just might not happen..... so, other good unis.

I know which are generally considered to be good ones (Bristol, York, East Anglia, Edinburgh etc) but what I want to know is which are the nest by reputation - which won't I be ridiculed for going to. E.g. I thought Durham was good, but I've heard people laugh at here. Could I have a list of which of the redbricks have good reputations amongst students?

P.s. I'm hoping to read philosophy, if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    bristol, york, manchester, lse, bath, warwick, nottingham, imperial (don't think they do philosophy tho :confused: ), ucl, kcl, durham, exeter, st andrews.....etc

a good degree from anyone of these places is highly regarded.

durham university seems to be a marmite sort of place, you either love it or hate it. lots of people on this site tend to ridicule it because it tries to make out its as good as oxbridge when this is clearly not the case. but it's still a good university, i've got it as my insurance choice as i was impressed by the department tremendously when i went to visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    bristol, york, manchester, lse, bath, warwick, nottingham, imperial (don't think they do philosophy tho :confused: )
    Of course Imperial don't do Philosophy as it's for sciences only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Of course Imperial don't do Philosophy as it's for sciences only.
    having no desire to go to imperial myself i don't know what courses it does, i just know the uni has a good rep.

ReputationRep:
    bristol, york, manchester, lse, bath, warwick, nottingham, imperial (don't think they do philosophy tho :confused: ), ucl, kcl, durham, exeter, st andrews.....etc

a good degree from anyone of these places is highly regarded.

durham university seems to be a marmite sort of place, you either love it or hate it. lots of people on this site tend to ridicule it because it tries to make out its as good as oxbridge when this is clearly not the case. but it's still a good university, i've got it as my insurance choice as i was impressed by the department tremendously when i went to visit.
    Thanks very much for the list, that's fabbo.
    As far as Durham goes.... I'm really not sure whether to apply. Naturally it's not as good as Oxbridge, but is it as good as the others you've listed?

ReputationRep:
    uni reputations go something like this...
    1st tier: oxbridge
    2nd tier: lse, imperial
    3rd tier: ucl, warwick, nottingham, bristol
    4th tier: york, bath, manchester, st.andrews, durham, kcl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Thanks very much for the list, that's fabbo.
    As far as Durham goes.... I'm really not sure whether to apply. Naturally it's not as good as Oxbridge, but is it as good as the others you've listed?
    i think that employers perceptions of durham would rank it equally with the others on my list for reputation. as an academic university however, it is probably lagging behind some of the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, many thanks.
    Do people agree with this?

ReputationRep:
    i think that employers perceptions of durham would rank it equally with the others on my list for reputation. as an academic university however, it is probably lagging behind some of the others.
    Well, I'm going for academics first so that probably won't be on my shortlist.

Do people agree with this?
    In general yes, I'd probably relegate Warwick to the fourth group and also include Bath and Loughborough in there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    Yes, i'd roughly agree with this.

However, for philosophy specifically, you should be looking at Oxford, perhaps Cambridge, Warwick, LSE and King's.

Durham is also good for philosophy, I really wouldn't worry about rep there. It isn't the best outside of Oxbridge, and I think a lot of the Durham bashing comes in response to people claiming it is. It is still a very good uni.

Others that are good for philosophy specifically: York, Sheffield, Essex, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol. UEA is also good for philosophy, though I think you're overestimating its overall reputation..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    UEA is also good for philosophy, though I think you're overestimating its overall reputation..
    Really? I thought it was pretty good..... would a good degree from there be taken less seriously than one from, say, York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    I think that you may be sticking your neck out a little with your third/fourth tier choices: for example Nottingham has become very successful recently, but older people would think of it as a respectable but not premier league institution. Also a Scottish person would probably want Edinburgh and St Andrews in the third tier, as they are the best in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I thought it was pretty good..... would a good degree from there be taken less seriously than one from, say, York?
    It seems to have a fairly solid reputation, but it wouldn't usually be considered a potential second choice after Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    its interesting that some unis like Bristol and Durham have a higher reputation with employers than their results sometimes deserve... which is a good thing for me

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty good; a very solid, respectable uni.

You'll rarely find it in the typical considerations of the top 15 though.

As for if it is going to be taken seriously, I doubt there is *that* much difference, there are so many other factors in play.

As for making your decision now, though, I'd definitely discriminate. East Anglia comes 32nd in the Telegraph Table of tables and for philosophy has an A level entry score of 19.3 (just under BCC). York, on the other hand, comes 8th and has an A level points score of 25.6 (ABB).

They are both quite significant differences, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

As for making your decision now, though, I'd definitely discriminate. East Anglia comes 32nd in the Telegraph Table of tables and for philosophy has an A level entry score of 19.3 (just under BCC). York, on the other hand, comes 8th and has an A level points score of 25.6 (ABB).

They are both quite significant differences, IMO.
    If you look at the guardian league table UEA is 12th overall and 9th for philosophy. York is 6th overall, but only 14th for philosophy. In the Sunday Times league table it's 18th overall and about 12th(i think..) for philosophy. League tables vary hugely...

(Original post by Chris_)
    If you look at the guardian league table UEA is 12th overall and 9th for philosophy. York is 6th overall, but only 14th for philosophy. In the Sunday Times league table it's 18th overall and about 12th(i think..) for philosophy. League tables vary hugely...
    Once again proving that UEA is grossely under-rated!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Once again proving that UEA is grossely under-rated!!!
    Of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    That sounds rather a load of arse to me. Imperial is hardly in a league of it's own when it only offers such a limited range of subjects. More sensible would be something like:

1. Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial (at least for the particular things they do best)
    2. Durham, York, Exeter, KCL, UCL, Bristol, etc.
    3. Nottingham, Warwick, that kind of place, etc.
    4. You wouldn't be looking here if you want to go to Cambridge.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.