Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    If you look at the guardian league table UEA is 12th overall and 9th for philosophy. York is 6th overall, but only 14th for philosophy. In the Sunday Times league table it's 18th overall and about 12th(i think..) for philosophy. League tables vary hugely...
    Yeah, they do, and I wouldn't pay much attention to them at all. The figures I quoted are from the table compiled by the Telegraph which includes the info from the Telegraph, Guardian, Times, Sunday Times and FT. It is the only general table I'd pay much attention to, simply because taken individually, the others vary quite a lot, and some of them are pretty bizarre in what factors they use (Guardian particularly guilty here I'm afraid). So that's the best measure of general rep, IMO, rather than eg just the Guardian or Sunday Times.

Yes, it makes sense that UEA would do better in the philosophy tables than overall; it does have a good philosophy department. Two caveats here though. Firstly, however good the department, a lot of your learning is going to come from interaction with other students. Entry grades of < BCC really aren't a good sign in that respect, especially given how much lower those are in comparison to eg, York. Secondly, the original post was asking about the respect a degree would have. That is going to come almost entirely from that general rep of the university, not individual departments.

Look, I'm not anti-UEA, it's a good uni. Leekey, yeah, it may well be underrated, however the poster was asking about general reputation, and the league table position and A level entry scores are symptomatic of a reputation that says "good, not great". Whether that reputation is justified or not is another point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    2. Durham, York, Exeter, KCL, UCL, Bristol, etc.
    3. Nottingham, Warwick, that kind of place, etc.
    LMFAO....Durham, Exeter and KCL rated above Warwick and Nottingham...can I ask what measure you're using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Yes, i'd roughly agree with this.

However, for philosophy specifically, you should be looking at Oxford, perhaps Cambridge, Warwick, LSE and King's.

Durham is also good for philosophy, I really wouldn't worry about rep there. It isn't the best outside of Oxbridge, and I think a lot of the Durham bashing comes in response to people claiming it is. It is still a very good uni.

Others that are good for philosophy specifically: York, Sheffield, Essex, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol. UEA is also good for philosophy, though I think you're overestimating its overall reputation..
    I mean this respectfully: can you tell us why Durham's a 'very good uni', perhaps by citing at least three different academic performance indicators?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    I mean this respectfully: can you tell us why Durham's a 'very good uni', perhaps by citing at least three different academic performance indicators?
    Majority of RAE scores 5 or 5*.
    A level entry score of 25 or above.
    Large majority of departments rated excellent by the QAA.

Those don't make it excellent, but they do make it "very good" IMO.

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO....Durham, Exeter and KCL rated above Warwick and Nottingham...can I ask what measure you're using?
    Amount of concrete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    Amount of concrete.
    Fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i'd roughly agree with this.

However, for philosophy specifically, you should be looking at Oxford, perhaps Cambridge, Warwick, LSE and King's.

Durham is also good for philosophy, I really wouldn't worry about rep there. It isn't the best outside of Oxbridge, and I think a lot of the Durham bashing comes in response to people claiming it is. It is still a very good uni.

Others that are good for philosophy specifically: York, Sheffield, Essex, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol. UEA is also good for philosophy, though I think you're overestimating its overall reputation..
    I agree with most of your list, apart from Oxford. It doesn't offer a Philosophy degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirki)
    I agree with most of your list, apart from Oxford. It doesn't offer a Philosophy degree!
    Well yeah, although that doesn't stop it being the best place in the country for philosophy.

TBH, if I was determined to do just philosophy, I'd still sign up one of the joint courses at Oxford, after the first year you get a lot of freedom of your choice of papers. Apparently, out of 8, you could do 6 philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    when people create uni rep lists, not many people put down royal holloway. where would place royal holloway in terms of reputation using the tier system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    when people create uni rep lists, not many people put down royal holloway. where would place royal holloway in terms of reputation using the tier system?
    id rank royal holloway around 20

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, although that doesn't stop it being the best place in the country for philosophy.

TBH, if I was determined to do just philosophy, I'd still sign up one of the joint courses at Oxford, after the first year you get a lot of freedom of your choice of papers. Apparently, out of 8, you could do 6 philosophy.
    Very true. Oxford's philosophy department is the largest outside America (and certainly one of the most influential these days). Phil @ Cam is just soooooo 20th century
    I am able to skew my degree very much towards the philosophy side of things. I will be taking five papers in philosophy and three in theology, although two of the theology papers have a heavy philosophical basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    hmm...it's another one that is very underrated. In terms of rep, probably 20-30, although that doesn't do many of its departments credit.

It's just that no one has ever heard of it!

ReputationRep:
    hmm...it's another one that is very underrated. In terms of rep, probably 20-30, although that doesn't do many of its departments credit.

It's just that no one has ever heard of it!
    yeh its quite sad really. its going to b my first choice (over UCL!) hopefully in the future more and more people start to credit the uni....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    yeh its quite sad really. its going to b my first choice (over UCL!) hopefully in the future more and more people start to credit the uni....
    any reasons why you chose it over ucl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    any reasons why you chose it over ucl?
    i prefer the place better. i like the lifestyle at rh more than the cosmo lifestyle of london. i lived a cosmo london life too long and want change...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    i prefer the place better. i like the lifestyle at rh more than the cosmo lifestyle of london. i lived a cosmo london life too long and want change...lol
    oh yeh: 65% girls, 35% boys (i think)....yeppppyyyy! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, many thanks.
    Do people agree with this?
    Yeh i pretty much agree with it. Id probably bump Durham up a category; I know many people here dont like it and maybe for good reason, but it does a have a good reputation, and since that is all your asking for, I would move it up one. Apart from that Id agree.

ReputationRep:
    i would move durham up one too...hmm i hope im making the right choice, coz im putting it as my firm choice, and declining imperial, warwick, manchester, and nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Very true. Oxford's philosophy department is the largest outside America (and certainly one of the most influential these days). Phil @ Cam is just soooooo 20th century
    I am able to skew my degree very much towards the philosophy side of things. I will be taking five papers in philosophy and three in theology, although two of the theology papers have a heavy philosophical basis.
    hildebeast! You're reading philthe at Oxford? Please can I talk to you about it? If you're willing to have a chat and tell me useful stuff, PM me. I'd be scarily grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Majority of RAE scores 5 or 5*.
    A level entry score of 25 or above.
    Large majority of departments rated excellent by the QAA.

Those don't make it excellent, but they do make it "very good" IMO.
    Thanks for the data, but most departments, in most traditional universities, were ultimately rated 'excellent' (22-24 points)by the QAA-this grade inflation was one reason why they scrapped the subject reviews and its accompanying methodology; in fact the percentage of Durham departments graded excellent, even by this measure, puts it well outside the top 20, since 1995-even Newcastle, with 69% excellent, does better..

It doesn't get in the top 10 for research, especially when you factor in the percentage of its academics it actually submitted to the RAE and the A Level entry score of 25 is good but not that good, and is a long way behind the Oxbridge/LSE marker of around 29 points, even johny -come -lately Warwick manages 26 points..

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.