Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me?

I need to know if a Graduate Teacher Programme is the equivelant to a PGCE and which one would be better to do?

ReputationRep:
    "I need to know if a Graduate Teacher Programme is the equivalent to a PGCE and which one would be better to do?"

Hi Julie! Well, they both award you QTS (Qualified teacher status) at the end of it, but it depends what suits you personally, and/or the schools that support you on the GTP. I've found its easier to find information about the PGCE as well as people who have taken that route, as there are much fewer places available for the GTP, and it is becoming more and more competitive (certainly in my neck of the woods).

The GTP allows those with appropriate maturity (There used to be an age limit of over 24 yrs) and experience to be employed as unqualified teachers in schools and follow an individual training programme, with release for university-based studies, whereas the PGCE is based at university and allow you to put learnt theory into practice afterwards.

In the employment-based training route, trainees get real hands-on experience from day one and assume responsibility at an early stage in their teaching career. Therefore applicants will need to prove that they are highly organised and self-driven. Because of the nature of the GTP you may come across negative opinions relating to the amount of support available. It all depends on the school, their funding and how they approach the scheme.

There is also the financial side to consider. As a student (ie: on the PGCE) I believe you get a grant of about £6000, whereas on the GTP you are employed as an unqualified teacher and can therefore expect to receive a bit more!

The only other thing I can think of is that although you can become an NQT as a result of both routes, obviously the paperwork at the end of it all will differ as the GTP is not a post graduate qualification.

There are loads of websites that will be able to give you information in more detail - have a quick search....but I hope this may help in some way. Personally I prefer the GTP having already spent several years at university, but I know others who would find it much easier to just stay on one extra year and then put it into practice in school.

Good luck!

Maria

ReputationRep:
    Thanx for your advice Maria, it helps

ReputationRep:
    Okay, heres the thing......

I've recently been offered a post in a secondary school on The Graduate Teacher Programme which I really want to do. The school that has offered me this post spread the GTP over two years opposed to one cos they feel that there is a lot of work involved and they feel that having a years teaching experience prior to the course is more ideal.
    Funnily enough this school was also the secondary school I went to when I was younger!!
    The problem is this.....
    I have my BA (Hons) Music Degree, I have my English Language GCSE but I only achieved a D in my Maths GCSE!!!!
    I know that it is a Government requirement to have the maths and I'm due to start an evening course for the Maths GCSE at my local college in September of this year.
    The school obviously know about the maths because I included that in my application, do you think they'll still offer me the post?
    Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do and as they have extended the course of the GTP surely I could do it while studying for my maths and gain the GCSE before the second year starts. I really don't want to miss this opportunity.
    Advice please!!!!
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    YAY, another Muso. What sort of music degree do you have? Are you gonna be a music teacher?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliew44)
    Okay, heres the thing......

I've recently been offered a post in a secondary school on The Graduate Teacher Programme which I really want to do. The school that has offered me this post spread the GTP over two years opposed to one cos they feel that there is a lot of work involved and they feel that having a years teaching experience prior to the course is more ideal.
    Funnily enough this school was also the secondary school I went to when I was younger!!
    The problem is this.....
    I have my BA (Hons) Music Degree, I have my English Language GCSE but I only achieved a D in my Maths GCSE!!!!
    I know that it is a Government requirement to have the maths and I'm due to start an evening course for the Maths GCSE at my local college in September of this year.
    The school obviously know about the maths because I included that in my application, do you think they'll still offer me the post?
    Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do and as they have extended the course of the GTP surely I could do it while studying for my maths and gain the GCSE before the second year starts. I really don't want to miss this opportunity.
    Advice please!!!!
    Thanks.
    because you included your maths GCSE in your appilcation then yes they should be aware of it, i'd suggest giving the school a ring or asking if you can come in and see the head to discuss it (but i would imagine as long as you have GCSE maths by the trime you are qualified it would be ok, but you should check)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music with Honours and boy was it hard although lots of fun!!!!

Yes I do wanna a be a Music Teacher (Secondary) but silly little things keep getting in the way like not having a Maths Gcse!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    because you included your maths GCSE in your appilcation then yes they should be aware of it, i'd suggest giving the school a ring or asking if you can come in and see the head to discuss it (but i would imagine as long as you have GCSE maths by the trime you are qualified it would be ok, but you should check)

lou xxx
    Thanks for the advice, I hope it will be ok.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.