The Student Room Group

I want to study Mental Health Nursing at Cardiff..

Hey guys
Has anybody gone on to do Mental Health Nursing, after doing an Access course? I've applied to do an access course at college to allow me to study Mental Health Nursing at Uni(preferably Cardiff uni). I was just wondering if anybody has gone down the 'access' path, studying Nursing? I've read on several uni websites, that if you apply after doing an access course, that GCSE's arent taken into consideration(doesn't affect me either way), but do you think it's harder to get in, after doing an access course rather than Alevels?
Reply 1
I'm doing my access course now will be applying for Mental Health in Swansea (pref), Uni of South Wales and Cardiff for sept 2014 intake. Definitely don't think its any harder to get in as I know many people who have done it and gone on to do MH and Adult nursing. Just aim to get as many distinctions as you can as although Swansea and USW want a minimum of 6x Distinction and 33 x merits, Cardiff have just raised their threshold to 27 x D so no doubt in the future the others will raise theirs! Have you got any nursing experience? Try and get some voluntary work or even better get a HCA job. Are you living in Cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ah, awesome! Are you enjoying the access course? I start mine in September & then start applying for uni in October for the September 2014 intake. Yeah, I'm a volunteer at a local psychiatric unit :-) & I have personal experience, which will hopefully be beneficial. I attended the MH Nursing day at Cardiff uni last month, and they said that they won't be giving preference to people with relevant experience, because it's too difficult to get experience. But either way, hopefully the vunteering pays off!
No, not any more. I'm from Barry originally, but moved to Gloucester in March :-) How about you?
Reply 3
Yeah i love It looking forward to starting yr.2! Not doing too bad either, got 24 out of a possible 30 distinctions available this term so I'm well chuffed, not bad for someone who's been out of education for 12 years! I'm in Neath, I've worked for a couple of the mental health hospitals with both adult acute and elderly patients in Neath and Swansea as a HCSW. Hoping to go to Cardiff open day on 5th July, got Swansea on 29th June then USW on 6th July. The only thing with Swansea is y2 and 3 are in Carmarthen so I think I need to weigh up my options regarding travelling times and distances vs the Uni I like the look of the best if that makes sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending