Turn on thread page Beta

Rubbish Rep watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Better to just allow everyone to set their status title to something of their own choice; like most boards do.
    we used to...but it was getting silly, so the function was removed.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    we used to...but it was getting silly, so the function was removed.

love Katy ***
    not for some though eh katy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    It's power gone mad!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    An even easier solution is to get rid of it. There will be no arguments about rep, no threads about rep and less divisions. I can't see any disadvantages to removing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    An even easier solution is to get rid of it. There will be no arguments about rep, no threads about rep and less divisions. I can't see any disadvantages to removing it.
    Yes, it accomplishes nothing, and only serves as a means for the brain-dead to advocate themselves. Removing it would be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It's nice to have an extra interactive element there and of course it is nice to compliment someone for a worthy post. There's always PMs for that though; I say get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I think the system should be removed completely. I'm sure everyone can build up their own opinions on the people posting and whether they are an asset to the board or just a pain in the arse without the assistance of a few gems.
    i'm gunna agree here, you can have been here for 7 months and have 1 gem still, they serve no purpose. Good rep is for when you like someones post, or agree with their point. But it's not like there is one good thing said a day,it's just whoever's post you see first. It seems like a very outdated system to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    It's nice to have an extra interactive element there and of course it is nice to compliment someone for a worthy post. There's always PMs for that though; I say get rid of it.
    One could just publicy declare "that was a very well worded post and you have presented your intellect and contributed to this forum" or something along the lines of that. That way everyone on the forum would acknowledge the compliment and the quality of the post. Instead of the one person that you are repping.

If Mr White who has all those gems wants to get rid of rep then it's obviously a good thing. Most members just say it's through jealousy to get rid of the system - so Mr White declaring his point proves it's not about jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    However, if we must keep the system, i would agree with the rollover sugesstion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I could just publicy say "that was a very well worded post and you have presented your intellect and contributed to this forum" or something along the lines of that. That way everyone on the forum would acknowledge the compliment and the quality of the post. Instead of the one person that you are repping.
    Doesn't seem very productive to fill the forums up with compliments about peoples' posts.

Nice post though G4ry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If Mr White who has all those gems wants to get rid of rep then it's obviously a good thing. Most members just say it's through jealousy to get rid of the system - so Mr White declaring his point proves it's not about jealousy.
    As long as you don't get rid of my lovely, lovely post-count (my precious...), I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    One could just publicy declare "that was a very well worded post and you have presented your intellect and contributed to this forum" or something along the lines of that. That way everyone on the forum would acknowledge the compliment and the quality of the post. Instead of the one person that you are repping.
    I know that I much prefer someone replying to a post with something like "I completely agree, well said", than being +ve repped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    i said the function was removed....that applied to everyone...i just had the control to be important enough to have my name remain! :P

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the idea of the rep system because people should be able to give rep to people such as pencil queen who are helpful and informative, but it is so open to abuse here that I think it should go, due to things like rep deals and certain members of the forum having far more rep than they genuinely deserve.

ReputationRep:
    Should we start up a petition for d then? Seeing as it's now more popular than previous occasions when we have discussed removing the rep system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    due to things like rep deals and certain members of the forum having far more rep than they genuinely deserve.
    *cough* bono! *cough*

ReputationRep:
    I certainly dont think that most of the newer members would agree to get rid of it. Its not really a problem with rep thats just the tip of the iceberg its the forum as a whole.

If I could find a similar active forum I would personally have left by now because of the decline of interesting people to talk to and the increase in moaning threads and nonesense posts are really putting me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Should we start up a petition for d then? Seeing as it's now more popular than previous occasions when we have discussed removing the rep system.
    There's not much point, AHS-3, d can not change such a central aspect of the system. You will have to wait for VB3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    *cough* bono! *cough*
    pardon?? did you say bono?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    There's not much point, AHS-3, d can not change such a central aspect of the system. You will have to wait for VB3.
    It's not like you to speak technical. I'm sure he'd be able to change it, as i've never seen it on other forums and they must have ran this version of VB at some time or another. We can always create a petition to let d know and when he upgrades then he can make the necessary chanes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.