The Student Room Group

Chris Huhne pleads guilty and stepping down as a MP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rlw31
It was a stupid thing to do of course, but I still don't see why you'd feel sorry for him because of that. He tried to cheat his way out of a relatively minor punishment and now he's getting his comeuppance, even if it is 10 years later.

Also, he came within a whisker of being the Leader in 2007. If he had won I think this would have come out much sooner.
(edited 11 years ago)
How did he ever think he would get away with it. Such a shame and waste of a good MP, if he had just took the points and lost his license he would not have lost his career.
Original post by AgentSushi
How did he ever think he would get away with it. Such a shame and waste of a good MP, if he had just took the points and lost his license he would not have lost his career.

It's very easy to get away with someone taking points from you. He trusted his wife and didn't ever anticipate that she would tell anyone what they had done. I think it was quite a nasty thing for her to do. I hope he doesn't go to prison for it.
Reply 23
LOL

I predict Private Eye digging into the story mercilessly. Must buy the latest issue!
Original post by jacketpotato
I feel sorry for the guy. He was wrong to do what he did, but at the end of the day he has lost his career and is facing jail over a few speeding points.

As with most political scandals, he's lost his career not because of what he did (speeding in this case) but because of lying about it.
Reply 25
Original post by jacketpotato
It was definitely a very stupid thing to do, but to be honest I think we can all do stupid things sometimes especially when we are under stress. The incident happened 10 years ago.

We can all do stupid things, but most people own up to them and take the consequences. That Huhne and his wife clearly showed a high degree of calculation in their attempt to pervert the course of justice only worsens the fact that it has taken ten years and irrefutable evidence before Huhne has admitted wrongdoing. On top of the more recent MP expenses scandals it's no wonder there has been a complete erosion of trust in these apparent servants of the people.

The only feasible response is at least a six month jail sentence, to remind such MPs that they are not above the law, and perhaps go some way to giving faith in the political and legal system back to the people.
Reply 26
Original post by 122025278
I wouldn't be so sure he has substantial mitigating cirumstances.

I think the judge was pretty clear when he said that a man of Huhne's background can be under no illusions as to the likely sentence that he will receive. Given this, a jail sentence seems highly likely, and any mitigating circumstances will only reduce such a sentence from the maximum allowed - not remove it all together.
Original post by ArtGoblin
He trusted his wife and didn't ever anticipate that she would tell anyone what they had done. I think it was quite a nasty thing for her to do.

People who need to trust their partner to keep their mouth shut shouldn't publicly humiliate them. They get annoyed if a 26 year marriage is ended by you telling the media you've been having an affair.

It's landed her in trouble too, but if he hadn't had the affair, I suspect the secret would have been kept.
Original post by Tycho
any mitigating circumstances will only reduce such a sentence from the maximum allowed

.. which is of course life imprisonment.
Original post by unprinted
People who need to trust their partner to keep their mouth shut shouldn't publicly humiliate them. They get annoyed if a 26 year marriage is ended by you telling the media you've been having an affair.

It's landed her in trouble too, but if he hadn't had the affair, I suspect the secret would have been kept.

It just seems so petty though. I understand she must have been very hurt by what he did, but taking revenge in that way was a really mean thing to do. She did it just to get back at him, with no benefit to anyone, not even herself. The whole incident is a waste of time and money, just so she could see him suffer.
He hasn't been sentenced yet. Anything you say here could influence the court.

Yes, because all judges encourage the jury to look up the trial online :rolleyes:
Reply 31
It just seems so petty though. I understand she must have been very hurt by what he did, but taking revenge in that way was a really mean thing to do. She did it just to get back at him, with no benefit to anyone, not even herself. The whole incident is a waste of time and money, just so she could see him suffer.

:s-smilie:
Theres nothing petty about perverting the course of justice .
Reply 32

Pretty sure perverting the course of justice is a major issue, and rightly so.
(edited 11 years ago)
It just seems so petty though. I understand she must have been very hurt by what he did, but taking revenge in that way was a really mean thing to do. She did it just to get back at him, with no benefit to anyone, not even herself.

I suspect that when she talked, she either didn't think she would get into trouble or, more likely, didn't care. See Congreve :smile: although the gender of the scorned partner doesn't much matter - there are plenty of men who have killed their ex and their kids.
Original post by Tycho
I think the judge was pretty clear when he said that a man of Huhne's background can be under no illusions as to the likely sentence that he will receive. Given this, a jail sentence seems highly likely, and any mitigating circumstances will only reduce such a sentence from the maximum allowed - not remove it all together.

They always say that though. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a suspended sentence.

Even if he does go down, we'll be sending a multi-millionaire to an open prison for a few weeks (as he'll serve half his sentence at very most). Once he's there he'll probably enjoy not having the stress of politics, rolling out of bed late, the taxpayer feeding him, clothing him and putting a roof over his head. Might even find it an interesting experience, like Archer did. He'll be going home at weekends.

Holiday camp.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't be so sure he has substantial mitigating cirumstances.

Like what?
Reply 37
CH: I do hope your exams are going okay, despite everything over the last few weeks. Thinking of you, love you, Dad. PS It’s grandad’s birthday today.

PH: Don’t text me you fat piece of ****.

Favourite line. Huhne deserves much more than he'll get, the lying bastard.
Original post by meenu89
Also, he came within a whisker of being the Leader in 2007. If he had won I think this would have come out much sooner.

Actually he won the leadership contest, shame he conceded before the missing 1300 postal votes turned up :biggrin:.

Disgusting those texts have been printed in the media, only one section is relevant at all the rest didn't need to be brought out like this.
Reply 39
Of course one doesn't know WHY he has pleaded guilty to the offence. IS he guilty or is he hoping that the sentance against his ex wife will be more lenient?
On the radio they were saying that his lawyers were saying that the paperwork presented to the court was irregular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending