Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I remember there is a similar post about this a while ago but cant find it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    I remember there is a similar post about this a while ago but cant find it now
    1.LSE
    2.UCL
    3.Warwick
    4.Nottingham
    5.York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    1.LSE
    2.UCL
    3.Warwick
    4.Nottingham
    5.York
    I'd agree with that. Bath, Durham, Essex, Manchester and Southampton are worth considering too.

ReputationRep:
    yea bath, durham,manchester, bristol are all pushing 5th place - tempted to put nottingham 3rd because of the aaa requirements, but i think the warwick economics departments better

yea bath, durham,manchester, bristol are all pushing 5th place - tempted to put nottingham 3rd because of the aaa requirements, but i think the warwick economics departments better
    You could be controvertial and group them together!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You could be controvertial and group them together!!!
    :eek: how extreme

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Warwick should be third because of the 5* research rating, but I might be biased. Bristol doesn't have a great reputation for research in Economics, with only a 4 in RAE. As for the entry requirements, it would be very difficult to get an offer from the LSE, UCL, Warwick or Nottingham without being predicted three A's, whatever the standard offer. Durham, Nottingham and Warwick all have higher entry standards than UCL despite it stating AAA requirements.

ReputationRep:
    for universities e.g. lse ucl...etc who require 3as, do they need both predicted 3as and also 3as at AS? or do they just want a predicted 3 as?

ReputationRep:
    for universities e.g. lse ucl...etc who require 3as, do they need both predicted 3as and also 3as at AS? or do they just want a predicted 3 as?
    I think being predicted AAA is more important than AS results. I know some schools don't even include AS results on the UCAS form unless students are not continuing the subject to A2. They're more likely to base their decision on predicted grades, personal statement, teacher references and possibly GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I think being predicted AAA is more important than AS results. I know some schools don't even include AS results on the UCAS form unless students are not continuing the subject to A2. They're more likely to base their decision on predicted grades, personal statement, teacher references and possibly GCSE grades.
    ahh ok cus i, not that confident to get 3as first time round...anyways - where are you studying at the mo? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    according to the Times guide 2004....

UCL
    LSE
    Warwk
    Nott
    Bath

controversial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaSTle OUtsiDeR)
    according to the Times guide 2004....

UCL
    LSE
    Warwk
    Nott
    Bath

controversial?
    ucl 1st and bath so high might be the controversial thing - dunno about bath, but i do rate ucl's economic department very highly,not better than lse tho i guess :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ucl 1st and bath so high might be the controversial thing - dunno about bath, but i do rate ucl's economic department very highly,not better than lse tho i guess :confused:
    Disagree about UCL being first and Bath. York should be there, and LSE is better than UCL. Agree with:

1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. Warwick
    4. Nottingham
    5. York

Though I'd want to put Durham somewhere in there...

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok cus i, not that confident to get 3as first time round...anyways - where are you studying at the mo? :cool:
    I wouldn't worry if you don't get three A's at AS, I had to retake a few modules to get them. Just make sure you're predicted AAA for A2!

I'm currently on a gap year working in an accounts department to get work experience in finance and to increase my funds for September. Should be going travelling in Europe this summer, but not totally organised yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to use experience to get better placements in London outside term time next year. I'm not even sure what I'm studying yet though. I'm still waiting for a reply for MORSE and not sure whether I'd choose that ahead of Economics or not if I get an offer. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    1.LSE
    2/3 - UCL/Warwick...

i don't think Bristol has a good Economics department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I wouldn't worry if you don't get three A's at AS, I had to retake a few modules to get them. Just make sure you're predicted AAA for A2!

I'm currently on a gap year working in an accounts department work experience in finance and to increase my funds for September. Should be going travelling in Europe this summer, but not totally organised yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to use experience to get better placements in London outside term time next year. I'm not even sure what I'm studying yet though. I'm still waiting for a reply for MORSE and not sure whether I'd choose that ahead of Economics or not if I get an offer. What do you think?
    for me ill do economics, but ONLY because i find MORSE a verrrry hardcore subject the full name is even better anyways the teacher will probably base their a2 predictions by the AS score? i guess if you get a high b theyll still predict you an a....

ReputationRep:
    for me ill do economics, but ONLY because i find MORSE a verrrry hardcore subject the full name is even better anyways the teacher will probably base their a2 predictions by the AS score? i guess if you get a high b theyll still predict you an a....
    A2 predictions probably will be based on AS results, but teachers will consider performance in lessons too. I was almost certainly going to accept my Economics offer until my MORSE interview day, where they sold the course very well. No idea what you mean by 'hardcore'!

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    A2 predictions probably will be based on AS results, but teachers will consider performance in lessons too. I was almost certainly going to accept my Economics offer until my MORSE interview day, where they sold the course very well. No idea what you mean by 'hardcore'!

:confused:
    #

lol i was jus saying that it sounds incredibly extremely difficult

ReputationRep:
    1.LSE
    2.UCL
    3.Warwick
    4.Nottingham
    5.York
    This is all slightly off-key. To begin with it seems to be terribly parochial and based on short-term league tables. There is no consideration of the long term impact these places have or have not made. Only LSE and UCL here have made any big real world impact. Bath, York and Nottingham owe their prominence mainly to domestic league tables.

In any caser the premiss is all wrong: it should really be: 'where is the best place outside LSE and Cambridge?' (This is on the basis of historical performance, real world impact and national as well as international reatings, over many years, not just ten..)

ReputationRep:
    what is the full name???

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2005

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.