Reply 20
*babyjane*
what is the full name???

Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics
:eek:
Reply 22
*babyjane*
:eek:

yea amazing, but how about SCORE from ucl - Statistics,Computing,Operational Research and Economics.
Reply 23
In my opinion the G5 have the only reputation advantage within the top 12-15 or 'higher tier' universities for any subject.

A 2.1 or first in Economics from any of the following is much the same and it will be the extras that graduates have completed that will set them apart.

*Warwick
*Bath
*Nottingham
*York
*Durham
*Bristol
*Manchester
Reply 24
For a start I am of the opinion that Cambridge and LSE are more or less equivalent for Economics and many would say LSE is better (if only because they attract some bloody intelligent foreign students)
Oxford is nowhere for Economics.

For third I would say Warwick and UCL equal. There is very little between them. Both have 5* research ratings and good teaching stats. I am at Warwick studying Economics and I would say at least 1/3 of the year got internships with top investment banks. We also have loads of ex Oxbridge lecturers with BIG reputations. (end of shameless plug of my university)

After that I would say Nottingham.

Bristol really doesn't have a very good reputation for Economics and neither has York. Durham is better than one would think as although the research department is rubbish and they have very few big names, the teaching is excellent.
Reply 25
Saxman
For a start I am of the opinion that Cambridge and LSE are more or less equivalent for Economics and many would say LSE is better (if only because they attract some bloody intelligent foreign students)
Oxford is nowhere for Economics.

For third I would say Warwick and UCL equal. There is very little between them. Both have 5* research ratings and good teaching stats. I am at Warwick studying Economics and I would say at least 1/3 of the year got internships with top investment banks. We also have loads of ex Oxbridge lecturers with BIG reputations. (end of shameless plug of my university)

After that I would say Nottingham.

Bristol really doesn't have a very good reputation for Economics and neither has York. Durham is better than one would think as although the research department is rubbish and they have very few big names, the teaching is excellent.

Oxford is nowhere for Economics?? I thought there are some very sound economists at oxford? :confused:
Reply 26
uni of lesta is 15th for economics is it considered as a "good" uni for an average student?
Reply 27
gunner123
uni of lesta is 15th for economics is it considered as a "good" uni for an average student?

if its 15th yea ofcoursse it is good for an average student :wink:
Reply 28
cool :biggrin:
deianra
Unless you have a Chemistry teacher like mine who refuses to predict As unless you get at least 20 marks over the boundary. Pah.

Really? I'd have been prediced two As, two Bs if my teachers were like that :cool:
W.A.S Hewins
This is all slightly off-key. To begin with it seems to be terribly parochial and based on short-term league tables. There is no consideration of the long term impact these places have or have not made. Only LSE and UCL here have made any big real world impact. Bath, York and Nottingham owe their prominence mainly to domestic league tables.

In any caser the premiss is all wrong: it should really be: 'where is the best place outside LSE and Cambridge?' (This is on the basis of historical performance, real world impact and national as well as international reatings, over many years, not just ten..)

Ah, outside LSE and cambridge worldwide? You'd have to stick Harvard down there, but then Yale had Irvine Fisher...ooh, thats hard. Don't know if Yale rates well for economics...does it?

I'd love to go to Harvard postgrad, though undergrad would be a bit daunting.
TheWolf
ucl 1st and bath so high might be the controversial thing - dunno about bath, but i do rate ucl's economic department very highly,not better than lse tho i guess :confused:

Times rating's dodgy, but not as dodgy as the guardian's... Hmm there should be an employer's rating table!!! That would be useful, anyone know where I can find one?
Reply 32
Mysticmin
Times rating's dodgy, but not as dodgy as the guardian's... Hmm there should be an employer's rating table!!! That would be useful, anyone know where I can find one?

ahh ive got the employer's table dont understand it at all UMIST is ranked 2nd and lse is ranked 23rd :confused:
TheWolf
ahh ive got the employer's table dont understand it at all UMIST is ranked 2nd and lse is ranked 23rd :confused:

Ah...er...hmm, maybe it's not so useful then lol. Anyway if you get a first from a reputable uni you're set up for life apparently.
Reply 34
Mysticmin
Ah...er...hmm, maybe it's not so useful then lol. Anyway if you get a first from a reputable uni you're set up for life apparently.

yea its very strange lse ranked 23rd, ucl 21st, york 29th..etc anyways here is the University rankings: the table of tables, very useful - no need to look up all the different tables ever again :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/graphics/2003/06/27/unibigpic.jpg
TheWolf
yea its very strange lse ranked 23rd, ucl 21st, york 29th..etc anyways here is the University rankings: the table of tables, very useful - no need to look up all the different tables ever again :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/graphics/2003/06/27/unibigpic.jpg

That is ONE dodgy table, its almost convincing me to trot off to warwick instead. i suspect we need to figure out how on earth they compiled the employers table.
Reply 36
Mysticmin
That is ONE dodgy table, its almost convincing me to trot off to warwick instead. i suspect we need to figure out how on earth they compiled the employers table.

i think that at lse and ucl there are alot of strange subjects eg scandanavian subjects which maybe on average make them less employable? But surely other universities have strange subjects like that
TheWolf
i think that at lse and ucl there are alot of strange subjects eg scandanavian subjects which maybe on average make them less employable? But surely other universities have strange subjects like that

UCL has considerably a lot more than LSE: just look through their prospectus, i don't know how the hell those departments get funding. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Mysticmin
UCL has considerably a lot more than LSE: just look through their prospectus, i don't know how the hell those departments get funding. :rolleyes:

i must say speech sciences and speech communication sounds irresistible :cool:
TheWolf
i must say speech sciences and speech communication sounds irresistible :cool:

If I could do any degree, I'd do Classics. Not quite Speech Sciences but that does sound interesting. You get to learn about, er, speech!

Latest

Trending

Trending