Turn on thread page Beta

Top 5 universities for Economics (excluding Oxbridge) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Not quite Speech Sciences but that does sound interesting. You get to learn about, er, speech!
    too academic for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    too academic for me
    Not as good as Gender and Communication studies at anglia poly :cool: Me and my friends had an ongoing joke pre-cambrige that if we didn't get in there was also anglia poly, in the same place, so we could still pretend to go to cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    dont you love it when they still say 'there are excellent job opportunities and career prospects for students with the Certificate to Practise as a speecch and language therapist' It could be useful though i guess :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    HI. Im thinking of applying to do economics at uni, but i dont do maths a-level....will this work against me in getting in the decent unis??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bag)
    HI. Im thinking of applying to do economics at uni, but i dont do maths a-level....will this work against me in getting in the decent unis??
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is, you could try some unis offering BAs in economics such as nottingham and York, but nottingham could be a bit wobbly in that respect. But no maths means no UCL, no Cambridge, no LSE for straight economics. The problem lies in that the further you go with economics, the more quanititative the subject gets and economists like to model situations with mathematic models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bag)
    im pretty sure that all the top 10 universities need maths for a-level? I was just looking thru the manchester university thing, and require you to have a B at a-level maths i think. The overall requirement is ABB but its abc if you do economics a-level how cool is that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is, you could try some unis offering BAs in economics such as nottingham and York, but nottingham could be a bit wobbly in that respect. But no maths means no UCL, no Cambridge, no LSE for straight economics. The problem lies in that the further you go with economics, the more quanititative the subject gets and economists like to model situations with mathematic models.
    Unless you go for PPE at Oxford. That's always a possibility as they're quite No-Maths-Happy and offer tutoring to non-Maths people.

ReputationRep:
    i do economics a-level though...would that make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bag)
    i do economics a-level though...would that make any difference?
    if you dont do maths alevel, i think it would be better to do a joint economics course, with economics as a side subject is the only alternative. e.g. geography and economics not economics with geography, as anything with economics in front needs maths a-level (for the top 10 unis we are talking about) Just looking at the lse prospectus now, if you do geography and economics, ie you do more geog than econ, it says that 'gcse pass at grade a in maths is expected; as or a level maths also preferred'

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks alot everyone.x

ReputationRep:
    1. Harvard
    2. LSE

Don't know about the final three but am thinking UCL? Yale? Princeton? Warwick? Where does Bocconi fit in the table?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    1. Harvard
    2. LSE

Don't know about the final three but am thinking UCL? Yale? Princeton? Warwick? Where does Bocconi fit in the table?
    mm i would think that the us ivy league universities would dominate the top 5 e.g. princeton,harvard,stanford , i think abcd meant in the uk, as he refered outside oxbridge? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. Warwick
    4. Nottingham
    5. York
    I fully agree....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    I fully agree....
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    This is all slightly off-key. To begin with it seems to be terribly parochial and based on short-term league tables. There is no consideration of the long term impact these places have or have not made. Only LSE and UCL here have made any big real world impact. Bath, York and Nottingham owe their prominence mainly to domestic league tables.

In any caser the premiss is all wrong: it should really be: 'where is the best place outside LSE and Cambridge?' (This is on the basis of historical performance, real world impact and national as well as international reatings, over many years, not just ten..)

ohh man, same ole, same ole..what a broken record! aint you the guy who claimed that Oxbridge aren't all that great for the social sciences?? shocking! That was truly amusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saxman)
    For a start I am of the opinion that Cambridge and LSE are more or less equivalent for Economics and many would say LSE is better (if only because they attract some bloody intelligent foreign students)
    Oxford is nowhere for Economics.

For third I would say Warwick and UCL equal. There is very little between them. Both have 5* research ratings and good teaching stats. I am at Warwick studying Economics and I would say at least 1/3 of the year got internships with top investment banks. We also have loads of ex Oxbridge lecturers with BIG reputations. (end of shameless plug of my university)

After that I would say Nottingham.

Bristol really doesn't have a very good reputation for Economics and neither has York. Durham is better than one would think as although the research department is rubbish and they have very few big names, the teaching is excellent.

LOL! Oxford is NOWHERE for Economics!?? Oh well, those 9 (i.e. nowhere outside of the USA have there been more!) Nobel Prizes in Economics at Oxford were pretty useless then hey? Er....2 of the most selective combined honours programmes for Econ., (PPE and EM) they're just for rejects, right? One of the most highly regarded MPhil programmes for Economics in the world, oh goodness...absolutely NOWHERE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    ohh man, same ole, same ole..what a broken record! aint you the guy who claimed that Oxbridge aren't all that great for the social sciences?? shocking! That was truly amusing!
    But what has Oxbridge done in the social sciences? Sure, in economics they've got claims, especially Cambridge. But what else? Where are the Malinowskis, the Poppers (I don't mean the drugs of that name), the Mannheims etc, where is the great dynamic interchange with the outside world of applied social science, where are the big paradigm shifts that took place in the field?. Sure every now and then they go out and buy some big names but so what-is the heart really in it?

Some anecdotal examples: Giddens will tell you how long it took for him to be accepted in the Cambridge hierarchy because he was a social scientist, and Oxford has only just appointed its first formal sociology professor, about a century after other people. Does that give you the impression that these are red-hot social science places?

Have you ever sat in a mediaeval college building and listened as some of these people sneer at the social sciences?

Oxbridge should be content with being top dog for humanities, and a front runner in theoretical science, and they should let Imperial and LSE have due credit for their role in technology and social science respectively...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    LOL! Oxford is NOWHERE for Economics!?? Oh well, those 9 (i.e. nowhere outside of the USA have there been more!) Nobel Prizes in Economics at Oxford were pretty useless then hey? Er....2 of the most selective combined honours programmes for Econ., (PPE and EM) they're just for rejects, right? One of the most highly regarded MPhil programmes for Economics in the world, oh goodness...absolutely NOWHERE!
    yea i think w.a.s hewins claim of economics at oxford being rubbish is abit wrong :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah after oxbridge/lse, the only 3 remaining good departments are

4.warwick/UCL
    5.nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero101)
    yeah after oxbridge/lse, the only 3 remaining good departments are

4.warwick/UCL
    5.nottingham
    lol there are other good ones like york too

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2005
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.