Turn on thread page Beta

Top 5 universities for Economics (excluding Oxbridge) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have an offer from york..but its **** compared 2 the other 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero101)
    yeah i have an offer from york..but its **** compared 2 the other 6

ah ok fair enough havent been to york yet, but i think illgo to the opening day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ah ok fair enough havent been to york yet, but i think illgo to the opening day
    it's meant to be a very pretty uni. So if you go for aesthetics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    it's meant to be a very pretty uni. So if you go for aesthetics...
    I'd rather go to York than any university in London. I can't stand London, which begs the question why I'm applying to LSE and UCL. Well, they're great for Economics so I feel compelled to apply.

Yes, I know I'm illogical (that's the genius).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yea i think w.a.s hewins claim of economics at oxford being rubbish is abit wrong :rolleyes:
    Nobdy claims that Oxford is rubbish at economics. It does very well at some performance indicators, but in the long-term and on the broadest stage LSE and Cambridge have a decisive edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I'd rather go to York than any university in London. I can't stand London, which begs the question why I'm applying to LSE and UCL. Well, they're great for Economics so I feel compelled to apply.

Yes, I know I'm illogical (that's the genius).
    Well as they say...there's a fine line between genius and insane. Bloomsbury's quite pretty once you get away from Euston station (ick). LSE has character, me, i love cities, warwick was too isolated...too many rolling green fields.

Hold on, Deianra, if you're going to go into banking you're going to wind up in a city for the entire span of your banking career!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Nobdy claims that Oxford is rubbish at economics. It does very well at some performance indicators, but in the long-term and on the broadest stage LSE and Cambridge have a decisive edge.
    ahh sorry i quoted the wrong person saxman was the one who said Oxford is nowhere for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Well as they say...there's a fine line between genius and insane. Bloomsbury's quite pretty once you get away from Euston station (ick). LSE has character, me, i love cities, warwick was too isolated...too many rolling green fields.

Hold on, Deianra, if you're going to go into banking you're going to wind up in a city for the entire span of your banking career!?!
    It doesn't mean I have to live there though! I'm going to commute by means of inefficient public transport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I think being predicted AAA is more important than AS results. I know some schools don't even include AS results on the UCAS form unless students are not continuing the subject to A2. They're more likely to base their decision on predicted grades, personal statement, teacher references and possibly GCSE grades.
    why would GCSE grades bear more significance than As level gardes :confused:?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    why would GCSE grades bear more significance than As level gardes :confused:?!
    They wouldn't, but they can't base their decision on AS Level grades if they're not on the UCAS form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Unless you go for PPE at Oxford. That's always a possibility as they're quite No-Maths-Happy and offer tutoring to non-Maths people.
    they place preference on those that do maths, and apparently half the students there have further maths?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    apparently half the students there have further maths?!
    i wouldnt be suprised

ReputationRep:
    This is completely off topic, but I have to fill in an application form for accomodation and am totally stuck to what amount I'd be willing to pay a week for my preferred accomodation. I really DON'T know, am clueless, have always lived at home.

It is london so...£100? God i don't know how much income I'll have...er..ok if it's £100 that'll be £3000 a year, student loan should cover that? Will have a part time job as I'll transfer up to london from where I work now, and parents pay tuition fees. Um, and I think I have some money coming in. Am I going to survive on that?

ReputationRep:
    This is completely off topic, but I have to fill in an application form for accomodation and am totally stuck to what amount I'd be willing to pay a week for my preferred accomodation. I really DON'T know, am clueless, have always lived at home.

It is london so...£100? God i don't know how much income I'll have...er..ok if it's £100 that'll be £3000 a year, student loan should cover that? Will have a part time job as I'll transfer up to london from where I work now, and parents pay tuition fees. Um, and I think I have some money coming in. Am I going to survive on that?

Yes u probably will "survive".
    a 1 day travel card can cost u at least a fiver. So make sure u get a place thats within the walking distance of ur uni...

ReputationRep:
    But what has Oxbridge done in the social sciences? Sure, in economics they've got claims, especially Cambridge. But what else? Where are the Malinowskis, the Poppers (I don't mean the drugs of that name), the Mannheims etc, where is the great dynamic interchange with the outside world of applied social science, where are the big paradigm shifts that took place in the field?. Sure every now and then they go out and buy some big names but so what-is the heart really in it?

Some anecdotal examples: Giddens will tell you how long it took for him to be accepted in the Cambridge hierarchy because he was a social scientist, and Oxford has only just appointed its first formal sociology professor, about a century after other people. Does that give you the impression that these are red-hot social science places?

Have you ever sat in a mediaeval college building and listened as some of these people sneer at the social sciences?

Oxbridge should be content with being top dog for humanities, and a front runner in theoretical science, and they should let Imperial and LSE have due credit for their role in technology and social science respectively...

Actually, and I'm not at all biased here, but I would personally maintain that Oxford is the best Social Science institution in the UK, marginally better than the LSE.

Lets take a few examples in turn, I will argue the case for Oxford, and I await your response.

Economics- certainly up there, according to economic review, its department is 2nd only to the LSE on journal citations, in the UK and in Europe. It has one of the most sought after economics graduate programs in the world, or at least in Europe. 9 Nobel Prizes, no place higher in the UK, LSE being equal.

Politics/Int. Relations- According to research by the LSE, Oxford has the best department of Politics in Europe and one of the best in the world. If you’ve studied Politics then this research only confirms what any Pol. undergraduate already knows.

Philosophy – The BPhil as I am sure you are aware is one of the most respected degrees in the world, have a look at the Rhodes scholars list and look at the people who’re coming to Oxford to take these degrees. There is no way any other degree in Philosophy in the UK is as selective as this. Incidentally, according to the Gourman Report on Philosophy, which I believe refers to journal citations, this is the best department in the UK.

(Not to mention the undergraduate PPE, and EM as two of the most selective courses in SocSci in the UK. Also, its MPhil’s in Politics, International Relations and Development Studies are all amongst the most selective, attracting some of the best students in the world).

Business/Management.- One of the top schools in Europe/World, its MBA is 22nd in the world, or thereabouts, the average salary of people completing the course (this is probably the best method by which to rank the MBA) is one of the highest in the world.

Last, but certainly not least-Law- Almost absurd even trying to put up an argument to convince anyone that this is one of the most prestigious departments in the world. Take one glance at the Judiciary and both Houses of Parliament. However, this is not necessarily an academic measure, so lets look specifically at what’s on offer. The undergraduate degree is highly selective and goes without saying it’s exceptionally highly regarded. The BCL is probably the single most famous law degree in the world, its entry requirements will confirm this for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Actually, and I'm not at all biased here, but I would personally maintain that Oxford is the best Social Science institution in the UK, marginally better than the LSE.

Lets take a few examples in turn, I will argue the case for Oxford, and I await your response.

Economics- certainly up there, according to economic review, its department is 2nd only to the LSE on journal citations, in the UK and in Europe. It has one of the most sought after economics graduate programs in the world, or at least in Europe. 9 Nobel Prizes, no place higher in the UK, LSE being equal.

Politics/Int. Relations- According to research by the LSE, Oxford has the best department of Politics in Europe and one of the best in the world. If you’ve studied Politics then this research only confirms what any Pol. undergraduate already knows.

Philosophy – The BPhil as I am sure you are aware is one of the most respected degrees in the world, have a look at the Rhodes scholars list and look at the people who’re coming to Oxford to take these degrees. There is no way any other degree in Philosophy in the UK is as selective as this. Incidentally, according to the Gourman Report on Philosophy, which I believe refers to journal citations, this is the best department in the UK.

(Not to mention the undergraduate PPE, and EM as two of the most selective courses in SocSci in the UK. Also, its MPhil’s in Politics, International Relations and Development Studies are all amongst the most selective, attracting some of the best students in the world).

Business/Management.- One of the top schools in Europe/World, its MBA is 22nd in the world, or thereabouts, the average salary of people completing the course (this is probably the best method by which to rank the MBA) is one of the highest in the world.
    good evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Last, but certainly not least-Law- Almost absurd even trying to put up an argument to convince anyone that this is one of the most prestigious departments in the world. Take one glance at the Judiciary and both Houses of Parliament. However, this is not necessarily an academic measure, so lets look specifically at what’s on offer. The undergraduate degree is highly selective and goes without saying it’s exceptionally highly regarded. The BCL is probably the single most famous law degree in the world, its entry requirements will confirm this for you.

I'm certainly not going to argue about law! Law at oxford is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    That's more or less exactly the thing I've been waiting for someone to say. I think I've just been swayed back to PPE after a brief stint of longing for the Cambridge Economics course.

Sigh, PPE. It's so utterly beautiful and perfect. How did I ever get side-tracked to the Cambridge single honours Economics? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)

TWO THINGS WRONG WITH THIS: you rely almost entirely on short-term indicators and league tables which, as always, cannot be taken in isolation. And some of the subjects you mention are actually taught as humanities subjects, NOT social sciences.

As for being 22nd in the world for MBAs according to one indicator, this is typical and at position 22, not that successful, bandwagon jumping -Oxford did not teach the subject until recently-Harvard has been doing it for nearly a century, LSE was teaching its B.Com before the war

ReputationRep:
    TWO THINGS WRONG WITH THIS: you rely almost entirely on short-term indicators and league tables which, as always, cannot be taken in isolation. And some of the subjects you mention are actually taught as humanities subjects, NOT social sciences.

As for being 22nd in the world for MBAs according to one indicator, this is typical and at position 22, not that successful, bandwagon jumping -Oxford did not teach the subject until recently-Harvard has been doing it for nearly a century, LSE was teaching its B.Com before the war
    hmmm, in all honesty I cannot see what you're talking about. I am not referring to league tables, I was constantly talking about selectivity.

As for the MBA, you completely ignore my point, the one way to evaluate MBA performance is not on your incredibly bloody daft/ almost obsessively amusing long term indicator bull/S, but it’s on salary! That I believe is why people take the MBA, they do not take this programme due to ‘long term indicators’, they take it to increase their earning potential!

Also, similar across the board, what exactly here is short term, the 9 Nobel Prizes in Economics? Perhaps it’s the BPhil in Philosophy which happens to be one of the most selective courses in the world, or maybe the BCL?

Also, just to correct your claim on the hum/socsci divide, here's an extract from the Oxford website, on what THEY claim to be the social sciences.

Graduate Studies Prospectus > Courses > Social Sciences
    Area and Development Studies:
    Development Studies
    The Latin American Centre
    Russian and East European Studies
    Other Area Studies Centres
    Economics
    Educational Studies
    Latin American Studies
    Law
    Management Studies
    The Oxford Internet Institute
    Politics and International Relations:
    Politics
    International Relations
    Sociology
    Social Policy and Social Work
    Socio-Legal Studies

As we can see from the list above, Oxford thoroughly negect the social scienes....hmmmm

A very disappointing post, you didn't look at any of the points made. I will answer back if you have something worthwhile to say...and only then. At least try and look at the claims I have made!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2005
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.