Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    why 2004 its all about 2006

Warwick
    UCL
    LSE

this is excluding camb which was 1st. Gwan warwick!!

lol...but where wud u rather go? lse or warwick?

ReputationRep:
    don't you mean 2005? When did the 2006 guide come out?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is so better than UCL and LSE :cool: In fact, it beats Oxbridge too!

I'm not biased at all.

ReputationRep:
    1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. Warwick
    4. York
    5. Bristol/Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zip it123)
    Personally, yes, by a long way. I choose a hard Warwick insurance instead of an easy LSE offer. But in terms of what's better, LSE beats Warwick.

I'd say for quality it'd be:
    LSE
    Warwick
    UCL
    Nottingham
    York

For research the difference is more marked, but for undergrad LSE and Warwick are very close. Maybe not in reputation, but Warwick's course has come on a lot, whereas LSE rests on how hard it is to get in and how hard the exams are, the teaching isn't any better than Warwick, from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zip it123)
    lol i had to say it simply cos im spending the next three years down there!

as for ucl, i would have chosen it if i got in but simply cos its in london no other reason, thats the only factor separating it from warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bag)
    HI. Im thinking of applying to do economics at uni, but i dont do maths a-level....will this work against me in getting in the decent unis??
    Hey don't worry if u are really interested in doing econs.Just apply for it.I for one drop maths at A level but had done maths A Maths at o level.Was accepted into York econs and finance.=) So if u r really keen to do it i think u can try.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by deianra
    1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. Warwick
    4. Nottingham
    5. York

(Original post by Leeroy)
    I fully agree....
    Me too though i hope will be at the 4 place coz i am gg there

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, for straight economics, putting them into groups;
    1.LSE
    2.Warwick/UCL
    3.Nottingham/Bath/York
    4.Bristol/Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radical Dreamer)
    I'd say, for straight economics, putting them into groups;
    1.LSE
    2.Warwick/UCL
    3.Nottingham/Bath/York
    4.Bristol/Durham

we 1 and 2 correct in my opinon but the rest like this:

1.LSE (+Oxbridge)
    2.Warwick/UCL
    3.Nottingham
    4.Bristol/Durham/Bath/York

(considers rep, league table performance, difficulty to get an offer )

ReputationRep:
    Actually I feel the institutions that make a noticeable difference when applying for a job (esp. from an intl. perspective) are LSE and Oxbridge and possibly UCL to a certain extent. All the others mentioned (all extremely good) are neither here nor there in terms of job prospects (relative to each other). For graduates from these universities other factors such as the degree class achieved, extracurricular activities, interpersonal skills etc. will make a graduate stand out and be in a position to compete with graduates from Oxbridge and LSE, who probably won't have to try quite as hard to be in the same position when they first enter the job market or apply for further education.

ReputationRep:
    LSE
    UCL
    are the two best ones!!! I mean go to the others if you wish but they are the two best ones excluding oxbridge
    then warwick is
    i don't know about after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    I remember there is a similar post about this a while ago but cant find it now
    According to the Guardian, Economics is ranked as followed:-

1) Oxford
    2) London School of Economics
    3) Cambridge
    4) London School of Oriental & African Studies
    5) University College London
    6) Warwick
    7) Queen Mary, London
    8) Bradford
    9) Essex
    10) York
    11) Bath
    12) Birmingham
    13) Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    According to the RAE 2001, the top 5* economic departments are those at the University of Essex, the LSE, University College London, and the University of Warwick
    - EUROPEAN COMMISSION : MAPPING of EXCELLENCE in ECONOMICS, 2004

Further info : http://www.cordis.lu/indicators/projects_era.htm

------------------------

My personal ranking:

1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. Warwick
    4. Essex
    5. -

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...i wouldnt have thaught the uni woudnt have mattered too much when it comes to employment (assuming the uni is top 20 and u have a 2.1. or 1st)?
    But manchester is ranked highly on employment so perhaps it should be considered as atleast a top 10.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...i wouldnt have thaught the uni woudnt have mattered too much when it comes to employment (assuming the uni is top 20 and u have a 2.1. or 1st)?
    But manchester is ranked highly on employment so perhaps it should be considered as atleast a top 10.

ReputationRep:
    1) Oxbridge
    2)LSE
    3)UCL
    4)Notts/Warwick
    5)York/Bath/Bristol/etc
    6)Manchester/Birmingam/Essex/QMW/etc

I personally dont rate Essex for Economics. UCL content in the first cover Essex 1st + 2nd year, so how can Essex be up there with the top for Economics. They also have rubbish employer links.

QMW i do rate for content. their Econ degree i s very similar content to UCL Econ degree.

SOAS- they were 40 something in last years times ranking i think. But you cant always trust league tables. Some of the Quality assurance evaulations were carried out 4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    LSE
    Warwick/ucl
    Notts
    York
    Bath

ReputationRep:
    queen mary 7th? isnt it like bbc requirement or sumthing? mite put it as an extreme backup... sis goin there...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2005
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.