Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help!!! Is... 'The younger age group will show a significantly higher level of conformity than the older age group.' 1 or tailed?????!!!!!!!! HELP!
    my experiment is looking at if older or younger people are more conformist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovz1)
    I think we worked that out from this:

"'The younger age group will show a significantly higher level of conformity than the older age group."

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't understand! Does it make it one or two tailed?

ReputationRep:
    i think its a 1 tailed test for increase. its only 2 tailed if youre checking if theres a 'difference'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    i think its a 1 tailed test for increase. its only 2 tailed if youre checking if theres a 'difference'...
    Yeah, we've been doing this in Psychology too. It's one tailed because it specifies the direction of the difference (increase), two tailed would allow for the results going either way (merely a difference), as mangomaz says

ReputationRep:
    Please help!!! Is... 'The younger age group will show a significantly higher level of conformity than the older age group.' 1 or tailed?????!!!!!!!! HELP!
    one tailed.

the Two tailed would be " the younger age group would show different levels of conformity to the older age group"

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    It's a one tailed test as you are looking at a change in one direction

ReputationRep:
    yea its definately a 1 tailed.
    by the way cud some1 tell me exactly wot i need to include in my psy cw A2. ive just done a chi squared test and got 75.3 df2 which is p = less than or equal to 0.001. shud i reject my hypothesis or retain it?

Also im not sure whether i need to calculate the mean and range and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yea its definately a 1 tailed.
    by the way cud some1 tell me exactly wot i need to include in my psy cw A2. ive just done a chi squared test and got 75.3 df2 which is p = less than or equal to 0.001. shud i reject my hypothesis or retain it?

Also im not sure whether i need to calculate the mean and range and all that.
    if p>0.001 you should definately retain the hypothesis!! Do you fully understand what you're doing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the help everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I have already said that the hypothesis is directional. can i say it is one tailed and directional or are they the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    I have already said that the hypothesis is directional. can i say it is one tailed and directional or are they the same thing?
    they are the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    if p>0.001 you should definately retain the hypothesis!! Do you fully understand what you're doing?
    er not fully lol. cud u explain it plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Yeah, we've been doing this in Psychology too. It's one tailed because it specifies the direction of the difference (increase), two tailed would allow for the results going either way (merely a difference), as mangomaz says
    you do hypothesis testing in psychology!?

we only do it in maths in s2 !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)

That brings back memories and they're not fond. My teacher was rubbish at teaching us it (in fact she wasn't there i guess that's why) i never seemed to really understand it fully but managed to get by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)

and chi-squared distributions is degree level statistics...i could help if id gone to thurdays lecture...but i was in bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    and chi-squared distributions is degree level statistics...i could help if id gone to thurdays lecture...but i was in bed.
    fair enough

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.