The Student Room Group

Class debate: "A 'life sentence' should be for life."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by combbrah
So you are giving me a 100% guarantee that no criminal who has murdered, raped or tortured, will ever reoffend in any way after the magic number of 20 years, and that our justice system is able to flawlessly ascertain whether a person is still a danger to society or not? This has almost nothing to do with deterrence. Usually the dealth penalty is brought into arguments regarding deterrence, but thats not what we're discussing here.. Have you ever herped so hard you derped?

That is absolutely not what I said.

You have either misinterpreted or deliberately twisted what I said. I quite clearly stated "or other value" and "criminal X" in reference to a hypothetical individual who we know for certain will be rehabilitated after 20 years.

I am in no way saying this is a reflection of reality, I was just showing that, in theory the life sentence has no purpose.

Yes you're right, we're not discussing the death penalty, the deterrent I'm suggesting is ineffective is the life sentence, I thought that was clear.

Please don't accuse me of herping, that's not how I roll. I for one always derp before I herp, but I can't speak for anyone else.
Original post by Toby525
You realise many of these people have mothers, wives, children?
Your callous lack of empathy is a classic trait of a psychopath. Have you ever considered contacting a psychologist?

It is quite hard to understand as you keep contradicting yourself.

This:
"I agree that it's almost always a poor upbringing or childhood abuse"

contradicts this:
"They're responsible for their actions that got them put inside, so that's reason enough to keep them there."

You agree with me that people become murderers out of several different factors which are out of control. This means they have diminished responsibility. I see very little difference between a murderer and a mentally insane person - they both did not choose to be one, it is the result of outside factors. How can murderers have full responsibility? Why should we blame them?

They should have thought about their children, mothers, and wives when committing crimes. I don't sympathise with murderers. If that makes me a psychopath, so be it.

We're not discussing the mentally insane. We're taking about life sentencing, so not sure why you keep referring to them. Murderers know fully what they're doing, so they hold full responsibility.
Reply 82
Original post by pjm600
That is absolutely not what I said.

You have either misinterpreted or deliberately twisted what I said. I quite clearly stated "or other value" and "criminal X" in reference to a hypothetical individual who we know for certain will be rehabilitated after 20 years.

I am in no way saying this is a reflection of reality, I was just showing that, in theory the life sentence has no purpose.

Yes you're right, we're not discussing the death penalty, the deterrent I'm suggesting is ineffective is the life sentence, I thought that was clear.

Please don't accuse me of herping, that's not how I roll. I for one always derp before I herp, but I can't speak for anyone else.

Right so what was the point of your post? Hypothetically sure, but in reality you can never know for certain whether someone has been rehabilitated. If even 1% of people released early from a life sentence reoffend, then those are innocent lives being lost because we chose to trust a previous murderer/inhuman individual. Life sentence = life sentence, end of
Reply 83
Right so what was the point of your post? Hypothetically sure, but in reality you can never know for certain whether someone has been rehabilitated.

But that was the whole point...

So you'll concede that in theory there is no point in the life sentence?

If even 1% of people released early from a life sentence reoffend, then those are innocent lives being lost because we chose to trust a previous murderer/inhuman individual. Life sentence = life sentence, end of.

Right, so the debate is no longer on whether or not the life sentence is necessary but whether rehab works?
Original post by Sephiroth
Of course it should be. Anything less isn't "life" and should be given in years.

Original post by letsbehonest
Whats the point of a life sentence if they are freed after 20 or so years? That's hardly life

The sentence is for life. They are set a minimum number of years that they must serve by the judge, and are then released on revocable license by the executive if they are deemed safe after that minimum time. But they haven't served their sentence.
Reply 85
Original post by pjm600
But that was the whole point...

So you'll concede that in theory there is no point in the life sentence?

Right, so the debate is no longer on whether or not the life sentence is necessary but whether rehab works?

In theory, but it is impossible for everyone to be rehabilitated. So yes, the debate could move on to whether rehab works. And the answer is no, in many cases it doesn't work, and we can never truly know for sure one way or another. Therefore, to prevent the chance of us getting it wrong and letting free a man who will reoffend, we can then conclude that the life sentence is necessary.

So really the argument is about life sentences, because we aren't working with theoretical or unrealistic situations, were talking about what actually happens. Who would you rather give the benefit of the doubt to? A criminal who has the capacity to murder, or innocent civilians who are likely to be a victim?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
In theory, but it is impossible for everyone to be rehabilitated. So yes, the debate could move on to whether rehab works. And the answer is no, in many cases it doesn't work, and we can never truly know for sure one way or another. Therefore, to prevent the chance of us getting it wrong and letting free a man who will reoffend, we can then conclude that the life sentence is necessary.

So really the argument is about life sentences, because we aren't working with theoretical or unrealistic situations, were talking about what actually happens. Who would you rather give the benefit of the doubt to? A criminal who has the capacity to murder, or innocent civilians who are likely to be a victim?

Who says that is the case? I'm not going to argue either way as I have no sources, but if you do, please share.

Well, I think you've made a bad choice of words there. Would you not say that innocent civilians also have the capacity to murder? Aren't all murders innocent civilians first?

That's a bit too theoretical, I know, however I'll stand by the point that if is possible for someone to be rehabilitated then there is no reason to keep them in for life.
Reply 87
Original post by pjm600
Who says that is the case? I'm not going to argue either way as I have no sources, but if you do, please share.

Well, I think you've made a bad choice of words there. Would you not say that innocent civilians also have the capacity to murder? Aren't all murders innocent civilians first?

That's a bit too theoretical, I know, however I'll stand by the point that if is possible for someone to be rehabilitated then there is no reason to keep them in for life.

I have no stats either and i CBA to search em up but ofcourse there are going to be people released who go on to reoffend, does that even need statistical proof?

As for your second point, well that really has nought to do with anything, point is are you going to give the benefit of the doubt to a previous murderer or the general public. we aren't going into a philosophical debate here about whether everyone is inherently good or bad lol

Point is you can never truly know if someone has been rehabilitated. Sure, psychological tests and whatnot can help us make a judgement... but it is exactly that, a judgement, something subjective which could quite easily be wrong. And if even a miniscule amount of people release reoffend, then it is not worth taking that chance when we could have simply left them in prison.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
And if even a miniscule amount of people release reoffend, then it is not worth taking that chance when we could have simply left them in prison.

I know but you're straying into philosophical territory. If a miniscule amount of people reoffend, and that rate so happens to be the same or less as the rate of 'normal' people offending, then isn't that unfair to keep them in prison as they would be, to all extents and purposes, the same danger as anyone.

I know we've strayed away from the original point, but it's been interesting. All I wanted to argue is that if someone can be rehabilitated after the deterrent, there's no need to keep them in prison.
Reply 89
Original post by pjm600
I know but you're straying into philosophical territory. If a miniscule amount of people reoffend, and that rate so happens to be the same or less as the rate of 'normal' people offending, then isn't that unfair to keep them in prison as they would be, to all extents and purposes, the same danger as anyone.

I know we've strayed away from the original point, but it's been interesting. All I wanted to argue is that if someone can be rehabilitated after the deterrent, there's no need to keep them in prison.

There is no statistic for "normal" people offending, i mean I guess if you say everyone is a "normal" person at some stage then that statistic would simply be the murder rate. Which usually is around 2 or 3 per 100,000 people. I have a feeling that the recidivism rate for murder is going to be a lot higher than that. In fact in the US, off wikipedia:

"Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide."

So there you go. We can never know who out of the "general population" has the capability of murdering, so that is a rather pointless argument, but we do know that previous murderers have that capability, and the statistics show it quite clearly. So as much as we might be able to declare a person fit to be released to the public, it is impossible to know that for sure, and I would rather keep them off the streets if it would even save a small number of lives. After all, they chose to do what they did and they forfeited their right to live among a civilised society, simple as that

peace
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Harry Callahan

Murderers know fully what they're doing, so they hold full responsibility.

How on earth can you think they hold full responsibility? You agreed with me that people become murderers because of genetic and childhood factors. Ergo, they are not completely responsible, because it's not their fault they had the wrong genes and bad parents.
Reply 91
There is no statistic for "normal" people offending, i mean I guess if you say everyone is a "normal" person at some stage then that statistic would simply be the murder rate. Which usually is around 2 or 3 per 100,000 people. I have a feeling that the recidivism rate for murder is going to be a lot higher than that. In fact in the US, off wikipedia:

"Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide."

So there you go. We can never know who out of the "general population" has the capability of murdering, so that is a rather pointless argument, but we do know that previous murderers have that capability, and the statistics show it quite clearly. So as much as we might be able to declare a person fit to be released to the public, it is impossible to know that for sure, and I would rather keep them off the streets if it would even save a small number of lives. After all, they chose to do what they did and they forfeited their right to live among a civilised society, simple as that

peace

Yes, that's what I meant in the first part.

My hypothetical point was: if we can rehabilitate and get the murder reoffend rate down to the murder rate/'zero' then that is better than keeping people in prison past the deterrence sentence.

As I've said before, I'm not making any claims about the effectiveness of rehabilitation, or even that it works at all, but that it could be possible.
Original post by Toby525
How on earth can you think they hold full responsibility? You agreed with me that people become murderers because of genetic and childhood factors. Ergo, they are not completely responsible, because it's not their fault they had the wrong genes and bad parents.

Law's law, isn't it? They hold full responsibility for their actions, therefore punishment's necessary.
Original post by Toby525

But their parents haven't made them kill someone. They have chosen to kill a person. They are responsible for their own actions.
Reply 94
Law's law, isn't it? They hold full responsibility for their actions, therefore punishment's necessary.

I don't think you understand.
Check this link: http://www.naturalism.org/sommers.htm

Original post by OU Student
But their parents haven't made them kill someone. They have chosen to kill a person. They are responsible for their own actions.

please see the above link
Reply 95
Original post by Kolya
The most obvious difference is that, if new evidence is uncovered later, you can reevaluate the case of the person serving life. If you've killed them, you can't go some way to make up for the mistake.

We obviously need to make our justice system as tight as possible. But the majority of cases are a slam dunk anyway.
Original post by Toby525
I don't think you understand.
Check this link: http://www.naturalism.org/sommers.htm

please see the above link

Leopold and Loeb killed to see if they could get away with it, not due to upbringing.
Reply 97
Leopold and Loeb killed to see if they could get away with it, not due to upbringing.

Why would someone kill to get away with it? Something has clearly gone wrong.
Original post by Toby525
Why would someone kill to get away with it? Something has clearly gone wrong.

They wanted to commit the perfect crime.

The duo was motivated to murder Franks by their desire to commit a perfect crime.
Reply 99
They wanted to commit the perfect crime.

yes, but why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending