Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, i can't find (or in other words haven't the brains or motivation to find) the formula for the "fencing problem" piece of maths coursework. its due in on tuesday 16th, so i have 3 days to find the answer or work it out (god forbid) myself. i would be eternally grateful to any one who colud help me, and i'm now off to research it. i don't know whether its only my school who is doing this piece, but it is basically the following;

a farmer has 1000m of fencing. She can put it in what ever shape she likes, but which would give her the largest area of land?

Obviously, the answer is most probably a circle, but i have to prove this. Thank you again to anyone who can help me.
    luv Bubbles xxx

ReputationRep:
    Find the area to perimeter ratio for shapes such as a circle, triangle, square, then try some irregular shapes. The ratio of the circle will come out the highest. What did you have in mind for an equation?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a mathematical guy, but heres how I see it:

1000 metres of fencing,

therefore as a square, it would have 4 sides of equal length

1000 / 4 = 250.

250m per side

250 x 250 = 62500m squared worth of land.

As a circle.

Circumference = Pie x Diameter

Assuming the C is 1000 you have:

1000 = Pie x Diameter

So, 1000 / Pie = 318.309886183791

Thats the diameter of teh circle, divide this by two, and you have the radius.

159.1549430918955 = radius

So, to work out the area of the circle using the R or the D:

is:

Pie R squared

Pie x ( 159.1549430918955 x 159.1549430918955 ) is: 79577.47154

79577.47154 compared to

I've probably just done the whole coursework

ReputationRep:
    thank you, but i know all of that, its that i cant find the universal formula for working out all shapes with a perimeter of 1000m. i know there is one, as thats the whole aim of the evil, pointless course work; to find this one formula.
    the circle stuff will be useful however, as now i dont need to do it myself! thank you!!
    luv bubbles

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    i got the same problem. I really sortta need to know!
    Um.. What Bubba means im sure is one equation to solve any number sided shape.
    This would really help, my attempts at this have failed and i know it is poissble.
    Thanks
    G

ReputationRep:
    Considering my GCSE coursework was absolutely horrific, I may not be the best of sources, but I've got an idea.

From what I remember we had to read outside the syllabus for our coursework, eg A-level stuff. What you want for this is to read up about differentiation, and then maxima and minima - I had to do a question like this for one of my pieces of A-level homework when you have x as one length, and y as the other (of a square/rectangle etc). You can then use graphs and thingys to find out how to maximise/minimise the area of an object with a set circumference. You could then come up with a set formula. It's pretty advanced and I'm not sure what your coursework requires however, but I can try give you a hand if you need any or like the idea of what I'm suggesting.

Do you know what it takes to get an A*? or an A? This may be a bit too advanced.. I'm not sure. Let me know.

edit: Just found an old Maths Coursework CGP book (thank the lord for those people) and it said that going into the realms of A-level things was perfectly reasonable for A*/A/B grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okay ignore my last post becuase I misunderstood what you had to do. Did a quick search on google for "GCSE Maths coursework fencing" and it comes up with some pretty interesting stuff. Might give you an idea of where to take this, how to go about it. The second page that came up looks pretty great.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help and quick reply going to check out google.
    G

ReputationRep:
    can any1 help me in my maths coursework to find the formula of polygons.. i have tried searching da internet but couldnt really find much. so if any has than da formula can u help me plz

ReputationRep:
    i did the coursework a few years ago and got 888 and ive updated the coursework since. If you would like a copy, add [email protected] and ask there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by start)
    can any1 help me in my maths coursework to find the formula of polygons.. i have tried searching da internet but couldnt really find much. so if any has than da formula can u help me plz
    CAn you be more specific please? There are quite a few "formulae of polygons"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbles)
    hey, i can't find (or in other words haven't the brains or motivation to find) the formula for the "fencing problem" piece of maths coursework. its due in on tuesday 16th, so i have 3 days to find the answer or work it out (god forbid) myself. i would be eternally grateful to any one who colud help me, and i'm now off to research it. i don't know whether its only my school who is doing this piece, but it is basically the following;

a farmer has 1000m of fencing. She can put it in what ever shape she likes, but which would give her the largest area of land?

Obviously, the answer is most probably a circle, but i have to prove this. Thank you again to anyone who can help me.
    luv Bubbles xxx
    That's a piece of GCSE coursework? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i cant find da area of a polygon. There is 1 main formula to find the area of any polygon n i need 2 no dat

ReputationRep:
    i have got a perimeter of 1000m and i need to find the biggest area. i have used regular polygons and i need to find the formula using trignometry of polgons. so if any1 has done t could they plz help me :eek:

ReputationRep:
    like i said before, i got 888 (100%) on this coursework, if you would like a copy for reference then add me on msn and i'll gladly send it
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    ye i did add u on msn messenger! ([email protected]) bt u wnt add me! im doin dis coursework now and im sooooooooo confusd! ive done the dif shapes but i cant find the formulas im sure i need! i can c that the circle is the biggest and why... but i cant explain it! help :confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.