The Student Room Group

A level Maths + Additional Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

I don't quite understand the interest in banking and actuarial science, I'd much rather me a leading gaming programmer or the likes. I know they're good money, but I don't think I'd enjoy working in those industries particularly.
I'm currently doing it at school. In Jan I did C1 and S1, this summer I'm doing C2-4 and M1 as far as I remember. If you do spend time one it it's quite easy (well it depends if you are a maths type person), I don't have to do any work at home. Cambridge books are quite good - in school we are using OCR for C1-4 (though we are doing Edexcel) and I like them. Also I just read a Pure Maths book by Cambridge from 1990s and it has a lot of relevant stuff.
Wow how did you manage to get 70 000 a year working 4 days a week without education? You may as well gather some money and open your small business. Still it's good to be educated especially at Maths as it develops your thinking.
I have another suggestion... This summer:
C1-3
FP1
S1-2
M1
D1

Because, if you have C3 it'd be a good chance to see the transition from AS ---> A2. Then if you get a good score (over 90/100) then it'd be nice to get out of the way as it'd count towards your A* in A Level Mathematics.

S2 can also count towards your A* in A Level Further Mathematics.

To get an A* in F.Mathematics you need 480/600 UMS in the whole qualification and 270/300 in the 3 highest modules ending with a number higher than 2. (ie FP2-3 M2-5 S2-4 D2)
I would suggest to do C1-4 as they are all related to each other and apparently the most important.
Original post by JerzyDudek
I would suggest to do C1-4 as they are all related to each other and apparently the most important.

That is one option, but he wants to get into it.

It doesn't help that you're in A situation where January exams are being abolished :frown: sucks for me too...
Reply 26
haha, my girl trusts me so she knows I may have a peek now and then but she knows that she's my queen bee! :biggrin:

Lol I wish mate, LA (London Array), I did 7 years in the Navy as a Aircraft Technician, had a really good time but felt the call to leave and live the Civvie life, So I had offshore experience (lived on an Aircraft Carrier for a few years - floating tin can of alcohol fuelled misery lol) and had the techncial background having worked on mechanical and electrical systems on Helicopters. So I got the job on the strength of that really.

haha you flatter me!

Well I am feeling very motivated and excited about the future, so thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by Hunter84
haha, my girl trusts me so she knows I may have a peek now and then but she knows that she's my queen bee! :biggrin:

Lol I wish mate, LA (London Array), I did 7 years in the Navy as a Aircraft Technician, had a really good time but felt the call to leave and live the Civvie life, So I had offshore experience (lived on an Aircraft Carrier for a few years - floating tin can of alcohol fuelled misery lol) and had the techncial background having worked on mechanical and electrical systems on Helicopters. So I got the job on the strength of that really.

haha you flatter me!

Well I am feeling very motivated and excited about the future, so thanks for your help! :smile:

That's kinda sweet (that must sound weird from a boy but :tongue:) your queen bee's honey is where it's at :tongue:

Oops, my mistake :colondollar: Wow, that is amazing! :eek: that's just... Wow... You sir, have made me envy you slightly :redface: it must have been a very worthwhile experience though!

I don't even know what it is :colondollar: something about your virtual persona :tongue:

No problem! Thank YOU for this weird inspiration :lol: I can't even articulate it :redface:

We shall talk maths modules next week when you're settled :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I don't quite understand the interest in banking and actuarial science, I'd much rather me a leading gaming programmer or the likes. I know they're good money, but I don't think I'd enjoy working in those industries particularly.

Different strokes for different folkes, I had a work placement at Morgan Stanley in Canary Wharf when I was 19, and I was impressed with the hustle and bustle of the bankers there and had some great insights. I think that has left a lasting impression, I also thrive under pressure so I think I would enjoy it. But proramming is something I also take a personal interest in, maths opens up many possibilities. :smile:
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs like?
Reply 30
Original post by JerzyDudek
Wow how did you manage to get 70 000 a year working 4 days a week without education? You may as well gather some money and open your small business. Still it's good to be educated especially at Maths as it develops your thinking.

It's a unique working enviroment working offshore, so we get many uplifts in regards to Pay, and working 4 days on/off is not a desireable working routine, it's actually considered "unsociable working hours", not many guys want to work patterns like this, consider working:

mon/tue/wed/thu
tue/wed/thu/fri
wed/thu/fri/sat
thu/fri/sat/sun
fri/sat/sun/mon
sat/sun/mon/tue
sun/mon/tue/wed

Then repeat.

When most people, live for the weekend, I'm out of sync with them, my girl works mon-fri so lives for the weekend, my working routine interferes with plans.

But the money is not as much as you might think, after the fat greedy tax man has their share, ok it's still good, but I'm not going to be buying a big house and drive a bently and sending future kids to eton on this kind of salary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hunter84

But the money is not as much as you might think, after the fat greedy tax man has their share, ok it's still good, but I'm not going to be buying a big house and drive a bently and sending future kids to eton on this kind of salary.

Yes I see what you mean. It's nice to see that money isn't everything for some people. Myself I will probably study maths or engineering (postgraduate salary for latter is 25000 but I'll be fine with it) and for me the creative part matters more. Good luck with studying maths mate. Remember the main thing is to get insight.
Reply 32
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's kinda sweet (that must sound weird from a boy but :tongue:) your queen bee's honey is where it's at :tongue:

Oops, my mistake :colondollar: Wow, that is amazing! :eek: that's just... Wow... You sir, have made me envy you slightly :redface: it must have been a very worthwhile experience though!

I don't even know what it is :colondollar: something about your virtual persona :tongue:

No problem! Thank YOU for this weird inspiration :lol: I can't even articulate it :redface:

We shall talk maths modules next week when you're settled :biggrin:

Haha my girl would eat you alive son, I remember when I first approached her at the gym, I was terrified but I played it cool and ran my game on her....everything you want in life lays just outside your comfort zone!:wink:

Virtual charisma, haha, comes with age and a lot of inner-resentment and cynicism pmsl

You seem to have a very grounded and level head on you, no doubt you'll do well whichever meandering path you take with your life! :smile:

Indeed, can't wait to get stuck in!
Reply 33
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs like?

I can't remember tbh, I don't have the certs anymore, lost the folders, only got a few, but the whole time I was at school I don't ever remember doing homework, or even paying attention during class, was diiferent times haha

I did GCSE maths (edexcel maths higher + letts gcse in a week) books recently, and found it a breeze mate, maths and physics were always my strongest subjects.
Reply 34
L'evil fish,

Thanks for the suggestions mate, I'm gong to let it all sink in and will report back for class next week with general musings and the like! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Examsolution.co.uk and Maths247, are great sites to aid you.

Good luck
Reply 36
You could do A level Maths and Further Maths in a year if you really wanted to. At university you cover the other modules in less then 1-2 weeks, wouldn't waste 2 on it
Hunter84, I've just recently decided to take on Maths & Further Maths too, with a similar long-term goal in mind! :smile:

I thought about doing C1-C4, FP1, S1&2, M1&2 this summer, and the rest next year...not sure about additional yet though, as I'm scared of Mechanics (never liked Physics):tongue:

One thing I'm starting to worry about though, is the comment I've quoted below, from another thread. I'm not sure if this was for Maths or another course, but UCL is a uni I'm considering, and I would HATE to work my butt off this summer for an A*, just to be told it won't be considered as part of an offer :s-smilie:(even though I'm aiming for an A* in further too).

What do you guys make of this? I'm wondering if it would be better to take C1-C3, tactically hold off on C4, and maybe show my ability by attempting STEP 1 this summer? Only thing is, I'm still in the middle of C2 now, and probably won't be able to get round to prepare for STEP until mid-March - don't know if that's enough time? GAH :confused:

Original post by The Polymath
Hi,

Last year I did my AS-levels and got an A* in Maths too.

Apparently UCL won't count the A* towards an offer?! I worked to get that A* - I could easily have waited until next year and met an A*AA offer with ease, but now it seems I'll have to get another A*.

For those who don't do a subject early, getting one A* means they can just get it in their easiest subject.
Having already got my A*, getting another is obviously going to be more difficult for me, as I now have to get it in a subject I find more difficult, if you see what I mean.

This year I'm doing Further Maths A2, Econ A2 and German A2.
FM A-level is a lot harder than Maths, and getting an A* in German will mean I have to be one of just 2-300 guys in the whole country to do so...

Warwick, Notts, Exeter, LSE and Durham are all happy to count my A*, but will UCL?...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mathaddict
Hunter84, I've just recently decided to take on Maths & Further Maths too, with a similar long-term goal in mind! :smile:
I thought about doing C1-C4, FP1, S1&2, M1&2 this summer, and the rest next year...not sure about additional yet though, as I'm scared of Mechanics (never liked Physics):tongue:
One thing I'm starting to worry about though, is the comment I've quoted below, from another thread. I'm not sure if this was for Maths or another course, but UCL is a uni I'm considering, and I would HATE to work my butt off this summer for an A*, just to be told it won't be considered as part of an offer :s-smilie:(even though I'm aiming for an A* in further too).
What do you guys make of this? I'm wondering if it would be better to take C1-C3, tactically hold off on C4, and maybe show my ability by attempting STEP 1 this summer? Only thing is, I'm still in the middle of C2 now, and probably won't be able to get round to prepare for STEP until mid-March - don't know if that's enough time? GAH :confused:

Just so you know, UCL counted my A* and gave me an AA offer, so you'll be fine.
If a course normally expects A*A*A then you could be offered A*AA though (so A*A*AA overall) just to make you keep working in upper sixth - this is most likely to just be something Oxbridge or possibly Imperial would do though.
Original post by The Polymath
Just so you know, UCL counted my A* and gave me an AA offer, so you'll be fine.
If a course normally expects A*A*A then you could be offered A*AA though (so A*A*AA overall) just to make you keep working in upper sixth - this is most likely to just be something Oxbridge or possibly Imperial would do though.

Ah really? Was it a misunderstanding, or did you have to plead your case? Also my current plan is to follow a similar format to you with my A-level choices: Maths, FM, Econ & French, yay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest