The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Anyone doing Investigative Psychology MSc?

Hi there, iv just received my unconditional offer to study the MSc investigative psychology in September and wondered if anyone else has been accepted yet? I live in Essex, so will only be travelling up for the required weeks at the term beginnings, what's everyone else doing? Would be good if we could chat a little before the course starts!
So....message me if you want to say hi!
Gemma

Scroll to see replies

Hi Gemma,

I'm also starting the MSc Investigative Psychology in September :smile:
I'll be travelling to Huddersfield from Somerset for the 3 teaching blocks.
Looking forward to it!! So happy when I saw this course is now Stage One of Chartership!

Best wishes,
Jodi
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi jodi,
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who will be travelling up for the teaching periods! I'm so excited about starting, September can't come quick enough for me lol. Have you been sent a reading list or anything to do with the course yet?
See u in September!
Gemma
It's so good they have changed this course to allow you to travel and do it from home. Will you be staying in a hotel? No I haven't received anything other than email confirmation of my decision to take the place. Have you had any reading lists or anything?
Will you be working too, or studying mainly? X
Reply 4
It is good, ur right, it would have been difficult uprooting and moving to Huddersfield! I will be staying in a hotel when I come up, as soon as I get the term dates il book something. I haven't had anything from them since I sent my reply to say I accepted the place. I'm really keen to get hold of a reading list!
My plan was to work as well as study but everyone I speak to says I won't be able to work and study because the course takes up so much time so I'm a little uncertain. I can't afford to take a year off work tho so I may just try and get a part time job so that I have something at least! Will u be working do u think?
Gem
Reply 5
I am!
Was getting a bit worried that I hadn't received anything so glad I'm not the only one. I live in halifax which is pretty close to Huddersfield so can just commute from home which is good. And think I'm gonna have to carry on working to be able to afford the fees! But probably just part time :smile:
Hi,

I will probably be working too, I have a full time job in a forensic setting so I will probably stay there as they are really supportive. I'm just finishing a masters in Forensic psychology with Liverpool and was able to study and work full time. See how it goes! Glad to hear we all haven't heard! Started to worry!!
Have you had any luck finding a reading list Gemma? Hopefully we will hear soon, I think the first term is the 23rd September!
Reply 7
Uv already done a forensic psychology masters Jodi? How did u find it? Sorry for all the questions!
I did email Maria and ask about the reading list, she said she will be sending out a reading list and other info sometime in May, but if I want to get a jump start she has given me three books to get. I already had two of them so that was lucky! Lol. They're Mapping Murder by David Canter, Investigative Psychology by David Canter and Donna Youngs and Criminal Shadows. The prices on Amazon for them are quite reasonable I thought.
Hi Sam! Welcome to the discussion! :0)
Ah fantastic, thanks for the list of books, useful for a start - I have criminal shadows (got it last year for 1p lol.
Thats ok, ask away :smile: I found it challenging but manageable, the workload is quite high but if you organise it then it works really well. It's structured in the same way as this one with self-directed learning. Each module has a discussion board where you post an initial answer each week for a different question (8 short questions), followed by 3-5 posts to classmates. And then each week there is a short assignment.
It wasn't a BPS accredited course, which is partially why I want to do this one (and because the modules look amazing). The Liverpool one was created by Laurence Alison, there is a book by him called The Forensic Psychologist casebook, which was ye course bible! Might be useful for this course too! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi again!

Just wondering if anyone has had any more information through from the uni re the course, I haven't heard anything so far. Just thought I'd ask around!
Also, any idea on the dates of the weeks we have to go up there? I know the first one is the last week of September but I'm not sure about the other two weeks? Just so I can organise things with employers and trains/hotels etc.

Only four months to go....exciting! lol.

Hope you're all ok.

Gemma x

Original post by JodiSymmonds
Ah fantastic, thanks for the list of books, useful for a start - I have criminal shadows (got it last year for 1p lol.
Thats ok, ask away :smile: I found it challenging but manageable, the workload is quite high but if you organise it then it works really well. It's structured in the same way as this one with self-directed learning. Each module has a discussion board where you post an initial answer each week for a different question (8 short questions), followed by 3-5 posts to classmates. And then each week there is a short assignment.
It wasn't a BPS accredited course, which is partially why I want to do this one (and because the modules look amazing). The Liverpool one was created by Laurence Alison, there is a book by him called The Forensic Psychologist casebook, which was ye course bible! Might be useful for this course too! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi,

i was supposed to be doing the forensic and investigative course at Uni of Liverpool's new London campus but they've had to delay the start till next year, so I've literally just applied for this course at Huddersfield. I was just wondering as you two have your offers, was there an interview and did it take long to hear back from them?

Laura x
Reply 11
Hi Laura.
I sent off my application form at the end of October last year, and I received an email two weeks later inviting me to an interview. The interview was for January, and lasted about ten minutes!!! They told me it would be about a month before I heard anything back but I received my unconditional offer one week later! So it all happened quite quickly for me. Have you heard anything back yet? Do you live close to Huddersfield?
Gemma
Reply 12
I didn't have an interview, just got an offer a few weeks after I sent the application form and questions! Haven't heard anything since then though
Reply 13
i've had an acknowledgement email but that's it, so I'm hoping it won't be too long to hear back about an interview because I've applied quite late. I live in Birmingham now but I've bought a house in London because I was planning on being down there after I got my offer from Liverpool a few months ago and it's where I want to be In the long run! So I'm really hoping I get on this one because I don't fancy the commute to Liverpool or deferring!
Reply 14
Original post by samskelsey
I didn't have an interview, just got an offer a few weeks after I sent the application form and questions! Haven't heard anything since then though

Oh really? That's good! I hope that happens for me. What was your first degree in?
Reply 15
Mine was psychology :smile: How about you?
Reply 16
My undergrad degree is in History, but I'm just finishing an MSc Pschology conversion course
Original post by lnicole
Hi,

i was supposed to be doing the forensic and investigative course at Uni of Liverpool's new London campus but they've had to delay the start till next year, so I've literally just applied for this course at Huddersfield. I was just wondering as you two have your offers, was there an interview and did it take long to hear back from them?

Laura x

Hi Laura,
I applied mid January and received an unconditional offer less than two weeks after, hopefully you will hear back soon! Good luck! Cant believe Liverpool have postponed the course for London, and you had bought a house!

Has anyone else booked their accommodation yet? Received confirmation of the dates :smile:

Jodi x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I haven't booked any accommodation yet, I think I'm just going to book a travel lodge for the week. What's everyone else doing?
Gemma x
Reply 19
I haven't booked any accommodation yet, I think I'm just going to book a travel lodge for the week. What's everyone else doing?
Gemma x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending