Turn on thread page Beta

Sport in Oxbridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently applying for Cambridge...hoping to enter in 2005 and im looking through the colleges....the college prospectuses arent that useful as they are bias...the unofficial ones are better but still a bit bias....I wanted to ask people who may not be so bias about the sport at the colleges...

What are the colleges that are best for sport as this is very important for me when i go there (if ). Im specifically into rugby and would prefer to go to a college with a competitive team. Also...do ANY of them do kickboxing or a simialr martial art as a college sport because i would like to continue that in uni...it would be nice.

Any ideas on the 'sportiness' of the colleges?

thanks a lot and anything related to this would be appricated.

Emil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordkolchak)
    I'm currently applying for Cambridge...hoping to enter in 2005 and im looking through the colleges....the college prospectuses arent that useful as they are bias...the unofficial ones are better but still a bit bias....I wanted to ask people who may not be so bias about the sport at the colleges...

What are the colleges that are best for sport as this is very important for me when i go there (if ). Im specifically into rugby and would prefer to go to a college with a competitive team. Also...do ANY of them do kickboxing or a simialr martial art as a college sport because i would like to continue that in uni...it would be nice.

Any ideas on the 'sportiness' of the colleges?

thanks a lot and anything related to this would be appricated.

Emil
    I've accepted a place at St. John's and their sports teams seem to be pretty competitive. I am sure that people from the other colleges will agree... Generally, I suppose that the larger a college is the more likely it is, all other things being equal, to have a comnpetitive team (there being more talented people to choose from).

ReputationRep:
    Catz is meant to be the sporty college in Cambridge. The teams seem to do pretty well in all the Cuppers competitions and have a lot of university players playing for them. They also have the only college astro if that makes any difference. And they beat Johns in the rugby

ReputationRep:
    I think jesus is meant to be sporty but i'm not certain.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    I've accepted a place at St. John's and their sports teams seem to be pretty competitive. I am sure that people from the other colleges will agree... Generally, I suppose that the larger a college is the more likely it is, all other things being equal, to have a comnpetitive team (there being more talented people to choose from).

I second that. John's is pretty heavily into rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I second that. John's is pretty heavily into rugby.
    Agreed. My rugby 'aided' my acceptance it could be said.

It depends mate, if your a class act (rep player), you will probably be offered a place anyway if you get the grades at any college because you will be welcomed with open arms in to rugby squad. If your not then although looking at 'the best' college at rugby is a good idea but if you just want to play for fun and have little experience, you have to ask your self would you be good enough to get in the 'best team'. If the answer to that is yes, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    The team doesn't have a particularly good reputation, though. They have a tendency to wander round town with college scarves tied around them like sashes, singing really loudly. Some people ...

ReputationRep:
    On a similar note, what is the range of abilities in many of the college's. Though I enjoy sports, I would never class myself as an out and out brilliant footballer, runner etc. Will there be slots available to play in say a 2nd or 3rd team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    The team doesn't have a particularly good reputation, though. They have a tendency to wander round town with college scarves tied around them like sashes, singing really loudly. Some people ...
    Probably drunks. I dont participate in drunken rugby songs. I get drunk, but refuse to stoop that low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Probably drunks. I dont participate in drunken rugby songs. I get drunk, but refuse to stoop that low.
    Have you looked at the alternative prospectus?

ReputationRep:
    Bravo
    But without the rugby songs, you're just left with the rugby.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the alternative prospectus?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Bravo
    But without the rugby songs, you're just left with the rugby.
    Which is a beautiful sport when played correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    Lol

Rugby-macho-drinking-singing culture seems to feature heavily.

I don't suppose you have been sent a letter about accomodation preferences from St. John's since you're going to be living out?

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Rugby-macho-drinking-singing culture seems to feature heavily.

I don't suppose you have been sent a letter about accomodation preferences from St. John's since you're going to be living out?
    I'm living out. I'm getting the cheapest possible accomodation there though, whatever that is so I can have a 'study' area away from my Mrs.

ReputationRep:
    Which is a beautiful sport when played correctly.
    Exciting? Certainly.
    Graceful? Possibly.
    Beautiful? I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    I'm living out. I'm getting the cheapest possible accomodation there though, whatever that is so I can have a 'study' area away from my Mrs.
    So, in essence, you are buying a house purely for your girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    Exciting? Certainly.
    Graceful? Possibly.
    Beautiful? I don't know...
    When played properly, the movement of attack and defence can be described as beautiful. Well, my theory is, if football can be 'the beautiful game', when the vast majority of games are dreadful then rugby has every right to be beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I don't consider football beautiful either though

ReputationRep:
    So, in essence, you are buying a house purely for your girlfriend?
    No, for us

Although I'm not buying it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.