Gembeano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have already read up on this forum for a lot of really great advice but would feel comfortable to post my own question. I have been short-listed for an assessment day with the NHS. The position is for a healthcare assistant. It states that if I am successful on the English and Numeracy test I will be invited back for a group discussion. What I would like to know is if the first interview will be entirely based on these skills? Will they get to know me also and make a decision based on the type of person I am? I am strong in English but my maths is poor. Any advice? Thanks
ziggy320
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello I did my healthcare assistant assessment a few months ago and am shortly starting as a healthcare assistant.

What I did was attend an assessment doing the maths and english tests only, then a hospital tour, then an assessment day where I had a formal interview. On assessment day you have to pass both tests at a certain pass rate-mine was GCSE grade D. I am absolutely awful at maths but I passed it-it's basic skills so nothing too strenuous. Trust me, it's nothing to worry about! I have an english degree so the english test wasn't too hard, although I think I got a really easy question wrong which was embarrassing You probably won't have much of a chance to meet any hospital staff in this assessment as you'll most likely be in a group under exam conditions but be smiley and friendly anyway obviously.

The interview I had was a whole day event where we did various skill based and teamwork activities and an interview with nursing staff: I had two people asking me questions. The interview was fine, couple of scenario based questions, some quality based ones. Everyone was really nice and put me at ease.

I hope that helped-if you have any other questions please ask. I know when I was getting ready for my HCA assessment/interview I couldn't find any information ANYWHERE and was getting really stressed haha.
Gembeano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm quite concerned about the maths exam as I know I am probably below grade D. I have been working on it and have recently started a maths course to help me improve. I suppose for now I will just have to cross my fingers and hope the best. Thanks again and best of luck x
marz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi
I have also been shortlisted for an assessment with the NHS.... can you please help me. On my interview letter it says that there will be a written questions on safeguarding and if i am successful after this them we will be allocated into groups.

i think i am ok with the writen question, its just the group work... i just want to know what will be expected at the group work

all the help will be appreciated

thankyou
ziggy320
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marz19)
Hi
I have also been shortlisted for an assessment with the NHS.... can you please help me. On my interview letter it says that there will be a written questions on safeguarding and if i am successful after this them we will be allocated into groups.

i think i am ok with the writen question, its just the group work... i just want to know what will be expected at the group work

all the help will be appreciated

thankyou
Nothing too hard if i remember correctly. We just sat around in our groups and discussed how we'd deal with difficult situations i think...you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
sahanara
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi
thank you for sharing your experience
I will be going for my test tommorrow
I'm awful at maths
Do u still remember any of the question at the assesment?

Let me know please
Sahanara

sahanara
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=sahanara;45228277]Hi
thank you for sharing your experience
I will be going for my test tommorrow
I'm awful at maths
Do u still remember any of the question at the assesment?

Let me know please
Sahanara

[whish me luck
BethHamblin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hello, I have been shortlisted for the HCA apprentice I have had my tour round the hospital today and have my assessment on the 9th.. i'm 21 so left school a while back and am starting to freak out on how hard this could be !! i'm alright with English but rubbish with maths! would you be able to let me know what sort of maths questions they ask please so I can just prepare myself, thank you soo much.x
kadijah04
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will like to see the quistion and answer that will come thanks.
chelseelee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys, can i ask how long the actual test takes? Would we be going in for the two maths and english exams and then finishing after? i am so nervous, i have my interview tomorrow!
Veron75
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Guys,
I have a literacy and numeracy test coming up next week for St George hospital as an Health Care Assistant. Can anyone give me an ideas of what the tests will be like? especially the maths. I am very poor in maths, but I am practicing as well. I am also nervous, but I am hoping to be successful, Thanks for any ideas or comments. It is much appreciated.

Nade.
Marie-Michelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I realise this thread is very old, but I would just like to share that I have just done a numeracy and literacy test for a Healthcare Assistant and it was very easy. For those worried about numeracy (as I was myself), sample questions were 20% of 200mls, how much fluid did a patient take within a specified amount of time. The patient received fluids via IV drip as well as fluid in tea, coffee, water and juice. A simple case of adding up and then the next question related to how many volumes of urine did the patient lose within that specified amount of time (subtraction). So, as you can see, very easy. I hope this helps someone out there not to feel as anxious as I did earlier today before the test. Good luck
Ella224
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Marie-Michelle,

I would like to ask hows the Literacy goes. How many items in total was the test? and how about the time limit? I hope you can help me. I will have my assessment for tomorrow. Thanks
Ella224
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marie-Michelle)
Hello,

I realise this thread is very old, but I would just like to share that I have just done a numeracy and literacy test for a Healthcare Assistant and it was very easy. For those worried about numeracy (as I was myself), sample questions were 20% of 200mls, how much fluid did a patient take within a specified amount of time. The patient received fluids via IV drip as well as fluid in tea, coffee, water and juice. A simple case of adding up and then the next question related to how many volumes of urine did the patient lose within that specified amount of time (subtraction). So, as you can see, very easy. I hope this helps someone out there not to feel as anxious as I did earlier today before the test. Good luck

Hi Marie-Michelle,

I would like to ask hows the Literacy goes. How many items in total was the test? and how about the time limit? I hope you can help me. I will have my assessment for tomorrow. Thanks
Viviluv
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What kind of questions dis they ask at the interview pls
Joanna84
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I've got an interview as a HCA and I'm quiet worried about the questions you will get asked on the day
yogundu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did my maths and English test on the 22/01/2016 which I pass, but haven't receive any email or telephone call. How long do I have to wait, can anyone out there help.
Tania696
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I've been invited to do a HCA assessment test from NHS. It's next week and I'm just practically freaking out. I'm ok with Maths and English but I'm not sure that's enough, plz could someone send me some previous sample questions from the assessment or any websites, which would help improve maths and English ASAP. Thanks. : )
zoesmith720
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello All,
I'd like to share my experience about HCA position I have applied for with KCH. This website won't let me register !
Mellu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi, I have been invited for an assessment day in NHS can you please tell me help me to tell more about that day what will happen on that day they said it will be one hour and after that if I go throw with assessment than there will be an interview they call me for the whole day, can you please tell me that there will be numeracy and literacy test in that or something else and how will be the questions and what they ll ask in an interview???//////
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads