The Student Room Group

list of which way mps voted in gay marriage bill

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r32
Rubbish. There are homosexuals and people who have campaigned for years for gay rights who are against this bill.

People have their reasons. It doesn't mean they are homophobic.

Just means they are irrational
My MP voted against. Apparently he thinks it's a slippery slope that will eventually lead to polygamous marriage and the complete destruction of moral values in this country, or something like that. In other words, he's a bit empty up top.
Original post by pol pot noodles
My MP voted against. Apparently he thinks it's a slippery slope that will eventually lead to polygamous marriage and the complete destruction of moral values in this country, or something like that. In other words, he's a bit empty up top.

It is a slippery slope. What next, people will be able to marry their pets? They love each other, where's the problem?
Reply 43
Original post by Harry Callahan
It is a slippery slope. What next, people will be able to marry their pets? They love each other, where's the problem?

Pets can't consent to sex or marriage though.
Reply 44
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Can we please remember that five of the Labour Muslim MPs voted for gay marriage before crying out that all Muslims are homophobic?

Nobody has mentioned Muslim MPs on this thread apart from you.
Original post by Clare~Bear

But it's about equalityyyyyyyyyyawwwn
But it's about equalityyyyyyyyyyawwwn

Equality between humans. A pet is a human is it? Why do people need to come up with absolutely retarded anologies? What ever happened to judging something on a case by case basis? Homosexuality and beastiality are in no way comparable and anyone who thinks they are frankly deserves to be punched in the throat.
Equality between humans. A pet is a human is it? Why do people need to come up with absolutely retarded anologies? What ever happened to judging something on a case by case basis? Homosexuality and beastiality are in no way comparable and anyone who thinks they are frankly deserves to be punched in the throat.

So I can marry my dad then? We're both human.

What did I say about retarded anologies? Go stand in the corner and hang your head in shame.
Reply 49

If you want to shag your dad then go ahead weirdo, just don't expect the state to endorse that relationship :facepalm:

By what logic will same-sex marriage being legal lead to incestual marriage becoming legal?
Original post by ameritus
If you want to shag your dad then go ahead weirdo, just don't expect the state to endorse that relationship :facepalm:

What did I say about retarded anologies? Go stand in the corner and hang your head in shame.

The reason you can't marry your sister is because of inhreeding. No chance of that marrying your dad, so where's the problem?

This is the thing. It opens up all sorts of precedents.
Reply 52
My local MP in Leamington voted for it, which is good.
The MP in my home town (John Redwood) voted against, surprise, surprise :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wished I still lived there so I could vote against him. He's been Wokingham's MP my entire life, I think it's about time for a change.
I'm against marriage full stop. Meaningless pagan tradition. It's all just social desire. Nothing is physically achieved by it. We're supposed to be a modern world yet there are still so many dark-aged things :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to be at least a tiny bit homophobic to be against it though. Because you're saying that gay people shouldn;t have the right to marry like straight people can, which is discriminating against them and not giving them equal rights, which everyone should have.

I'm not sure. There were a number of MPs who were at pains to make it clear that they supported gay marriage but could not support specifically this bill, with more than one suggesting it as poorly drafted.

Animals can certainly consent to sex. We anyway don't construe all sex between animals as non-consensual, "oh look, that one dog's raping the other". More problematic, perhaps is their capacity to withhold consent. But even this generates difficulties only in the case of the passive party. If my great dane is buggering me, informed consent (at least on his part) doesn't seem an issue. Certainly it wouldn't be top of my list of concerns at that point in time.
Reply 55
The reason you can't marry your sister is because of inhreeding. No chance of that marrying your dad, so where's the problem?

Not really, you can still have a baby with your sister if you want to. A marriage is not a prerequisite to having a child. The reason you cannot marry immediate family members is because of that - they're a select few people who constitute your family.

No, the reason you can't marry your sister is because that's incestual. It doesn't open any sort of precedent at all, because most people are able to grasp the difference between completely different situations. Only a complete and utter retard would think that incest and homosexuality are in any way shape or form similar.
Seriously, why are you unable to look at different scenarios without comparing them to completely irrelevant anologies?
No, the reason you can't marry your sister is because that's incestual. It doesn't open any sort of precedent at all, because most people are able to grasp the difference between completely different situations. Only a complete and utter retard would think that incest and homosexuality are in any way shape or form similar.
Seriously, why are you unable to look at different scenarios without comparing them to completely irrelevant anologies?

*Analogies. ANALOGIES.
*Analogies. ANALOGIES.

Woo, excuse me for making a fricking spelling mistake, while drunk I might add. I suppose that alone completely invalidates my argument?
Woo, excuse me for making a fricking spelling mistake, while drunk I might add. I suppose that alone completely invalidates my argument?

Your other posts seem quite coherent if you're drunk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending