The Student Room Group

Argentina 'will control Falklands within 20 years'

The Falkland Islands will be back under Argentine control within "20 years", the country's foreign minister Hector Timerman has said.

On a visit to London, he claimed "not one" other nation supported UK sovereignty of the Falklands.

Speaking to the Guardian and Independent, Mr Timerman said Britain had "occupied" the islands for "access to oil and natural resources".

A referendum on the Falkland Islands political status will be held in March.

Mr Timerman was meanwhile confronted by elected representatives of the Falkland Islands in the House of Commons Lobby on Tuesday.

The foreign minister refused to accept a letter about the future of the Islands or to talk to the representatives.

He was in the Commons to address the All Party Group on Argentina.

Full article on the BBC News here

Thoughts? He goes on to directly lie by saying...

"That is why I ask for a meeting with William Hague and he refused. If I can sit down with him, he will know what we think, but he refuses to sit down with us."

...when actually HE refused to talk with Hague in the presence of islander representatives. Whilst assuring they won't seek military action, I can't see Britain handing them over, especially since the international community is apathetic, not set against us. In fact, the lack of interest internationally just proves that the nations don't think Argentine has any sort of valid claim whatsoever, and are treating them like a yapping dog...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They really don't get the whole 'self-determination of the islanders' thing do they...
Reply 2
They seem to be forgetting the wants of the islanders themselves. They're just blowing hot air.
Reply 3
Original post by Pedd
They seem to be forgetting the wants of the islanders themselves. They're just blowing hot air.

No, they're deliberately ignoring them, saying that only 2 parties matter; the UK and Argentina. A much more dangerous and foolish standpoint.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Zurkon
They really don't get the whole 'self-determination of the islanders' thing do they...

More importantly they don't appear to get the whole 'our 4 typhoons could take down your entire airforce before they even get with range' thing do they...
Reply 5
I'm starting to wish they would just attack us so we can humiliate them again.
Speaking to the Guardian and Independent, Mr Timerman said Britain had "occupied" the islands for "access to oil and natural resources".

Oh damn, he caught us. We colonized the Islands with the intention of drilling all the oil 53 years before the first offshore oil well was invented.

We shouldn't be entertaining this madness, if any nation has an issue with the Falklands they can take it up with us themselves. The Argentinians and the deranged fascist with legs can cry all they like, as long as the people of the Falkland Islands want to remain British they will remain British.
Original post by de_monies
But the Falklands have always been ours? AFAIK, there was no population there, until the British discovered it, so for once we do actually have a moral claim to land.

So many times, I've criticised our foreign policy, but this time I think we're correct.

Technically, the French were then first, then us and then the Dutch. Spain gets involved at some point before we take it all back under the British Flag.

And then Argentina is formed as a country.

I don't realistically see how they can claim a piece of land that was colonized before they were even a country......
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
No, they're deliberately ignoring them, saying that only 2 parties matter; the UK and Argentina. A much more dangerous and foolish standpoint.

Indeed, you're probably correct. I can't see what they could possibly do about it though. Any further insight?
Reply 9
Original post by Pedd
Indeed, you're probably correct. I can't see what they could possibly do about it though. Any further insight?

Only that every statement of theirs reeks of the most smelly of smelly stuff.

By all accounts, too, Timerman (which is, of course, a very Argentinian name...) is actually a decent politician, it's just headcase Kirchner who's calling the idiot shots and getting it all very very wrong. Claiming support which doesn't exist, claiming facts that aren't true, using a strength which is imaginary and a position that doesn't hold up under the most casual of examinations.

20 years time? Status quo.
Reply 10
We should offer to give it back when they release Patagonia and the parts of Paraguay they colonised.
Original post by Gallifreyan95
Technically, the French were then first, then us and then the Dutch. Spain gets involved at some point before we take it all back under the British Flag.

And then Argentina is formed as a country.

I don't realistically see how they can claim a piece of land that was colonized before they were even a country......

Fair enoughs. I didn't know that, but even then I'd only support a dispute of the Falklands if France, Holland or Spain argued against the UK, and Argentina doesn't really have an argument, except that it's close by.

Some of the European countries have more of a legitimate claim to it.
Original post by James82
We should offer to give it back when they release Patagonia and the parts of Paraguay they colonised.

The funny thing is, Argentinians never put foot in the Falklands, so they have zero claim to the land.
Original post by de_monies
The funny thing is, Argentinians never put foot in the Falklands, so they have zero claim to the land.

Well they did 30 years ago :ahee:
Reply 14
Argentina can seriously **** off. I'm not big on the whole hating other countries thing, but I hate Argentina - I love the Falklands for the beauty of the place and how lovely the people are there. Just leave them be.
Reply 15
Amusing. Maybe if they try to take the Islands in the next 20 years we will end up controlling Argentina.
Reply 16
Original post by nExow
Thats' the kinda talk that stirs up discontent among Argentines and leads to them branding our intentions in the Falklands colonist. Please refrain from it. You forum mod rfaspacker.

Actually, the vast majority of Argentinians know the politicians are talking twoddle and have no desire for any unpleasantness. They know how perilous their economy is and just how dire their military is. They haven't got a leg to stand on and most simply don't care about a bunch of islands they've never been to and won't ever go to.

But of course they'd be so incredibly bothered by a post on a student forum... :rolleyes:
Original post by Architecture-er
The Falkland Islands will be back under Argentine control within "20 years", the country's foreign minister Hector Timerman has said.

On a visit to London, he claimed "not one" other nation supported UK sovereignty of the Falklands.

A referendum on the Falkland Islands political status will be held in March.

Mr Timerman was meanwhile confronted by elected representatives of the Falkland Islands in the House of Commons Lobby on Tuesday.

The foreign minister refused to accept a letter about the future of the Islands or to talk to the representatives.

He was in the Commons to address the All Party Group on Argentina.

Full article on the BBC News here

Thoughts? He goes on to directly lie by saying...

"That is why I ask for a meeting with William Hague and he refused. If I can sit down with him, he will know what we think, but he refuses to sit down with us."

...when actually HE refused to talk with Hague in the presence of islander representatives. Whilst assuring they won't seek military action, I can't see Britain handing them over, especially since the international community is apathetic, not set against us. In fact, the lack of interest internationally just proves that the nations don't think Argentine has any sort of valid claim whatsoever, and are treating them like a yapping dog...

He didn't "directly lie" - he requested a meeting with William Hague and Hague refused, instead offering a meeting with what is basically the "mortal enemy" of Argentina right now. While the wording could have been phrased better, as it's his second language I don't see the need to be such a pedant over it.

Though this whole event is rather bizarre. While I don't support the Argentinian claim anyway (though unlike most people, I do in fact see the logic behind it - and ironically those who don't genuinely do seem to be acting under an old colonial mindset as Argentina keeps claiming we all are!), I can't see how they can possibly imagine gaining control within 20 years short of launching military action (and I agree with you that I don't think it's remotely likely).
Reply 18
Original post by nExow
Thats' the kinda talk that stirs up discontent among Argentines and leads to them branding our intentions in the Falklands colonist. Please refrain from it. You forum mod rfaspacker.

I could't really care less. Argentina stirs up discontent to distract the population from its domestic issues.
Original post by Architecture-er
Well they did 30 years ago :ahee:

Lol this made me laugh more than it should have :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest