Which A-levels should be taken for mental health nursing?

Watch
jasssss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Seriously interested in a career as a mental health nurse or something similar.
Am in my final year of school and currently taking my gcses and therefore also deciding what a-levels to take.
So far I applied for biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology. I can still change if I wish. I am worried about taking two science together as I've heard they are very hard at a-level. Though my science teacher thinks I am capable.
I've heard universities like more of a humanities subject.
Are the subject I've chosen ideal or should I replace one with English or History?
Thank you in advance.
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personally I agree with your choices, but English Language might possibly be better than Chemistry OR maybe even an MFL. An MFL joint honours with psychology at uni would enable you the choice to go into this field of work in another country, as well as giving you the chance to travel.
thelyphron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would say Latin, but that's entirely based on your use of a passive voice in the title ('should be taken', as opposed to 'should I take') Nice. :yy:

In all seriousness, it does look impressive and can be thought of as a humanity subject.
jasssss
Rep:
?
Thank you, I don't think I would get a good A-level grade in a language unfortunately. Or in English language, if I were to take English I would much rather take literature. Would literature look just as good?

Also only one six form in my area offers Latin and to take that It requires for me to of done GCSE Latin which I haven't. Mind me asking why they like Latin?

Thank you both
Charlotte1995*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, the sciences are hard together but it is worth it and as long as you put the work in from the start it's fine. I've applied for childrens nursing at university and a lot of them said they prefer science backgrounds and I know some will lower the entry requirements if you have more than one science. I think you have a good set of subjects there
thelyphron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jasssss)
Mind me asking why they like Latin?
Here is a bucketload of unnecessary, but nevertheless true, quotes from various Americans of whom I have never previously heard.

“The study of Latin is also the study of history, art, music, theatre, philosophy, law, literature, laboratory science, and more!’” - Teresa Hudkins, Willamette University

“The study of Roman culture which typically accompanies Latin study informs the study of any Western literature, art, or culture as well. [. . .] If Latin were dead, every Western culture and language would be also bereft of life.” - Matthew Potts, Admissions Counselor, University of Notre Dame

“Latin trains abstract thinking, provides a key to all modern Romance languages, is a model for interdisciplinary study (language, history, culture) and can be a lot of fun.” - Michael C. Behnke, Vice President for Enrollment, University of Chicago

“Vocabulary and grammar of the English language can be mightily improved through the study of Latin.” - Kathy Lindsey, Associate Director of Admissions, Middlebury College

But fair play if you're not a fan of linguistics.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do Biology, Chemistry and English Literature and have two extra AS levels in Photography and History. Biology and Chemistry do complement each other well, especially at A2. Maths skills are really important in any type of Nursing so being able to say "I do Chemistry which has kept my Maths skills up to scratch" is a really good thing to be able to say.

Another key thing they like is an essay-based subject (such as English Lit or History) although I'm not sure if Psychology would be considered as one or not. This is useful for all the documentation nurses do. Obviously Psychology is directly relevant so I think it's a good choice. The only thing I'm not sure about is Sociology as it is definitely more of a 'soft' subject than your others. I would think about changing that to English or History but I think you've made good choices.
Kibalchich
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dunno what the university requirements are (I think they include at least one science), but sociology will stand you in good stead for mental health nursing
Gnome :)
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most unis don't care too much what your A level choices are for nursing to be honest, although some will require a science or two, so your choices look good I do biology and chemistry at the moment; biology is fairly straightforward for me, but chemistry is much harder and a massive step up from GCSE.

Don't worry too much about your subject choices; what you have is more than acceptable for nursing at any uni, just make sure you can get the grades!

Also, now might be a good time to consider work experience. Experience in a caring role is expected by most schools, and I know that experience can be particularly hard to come by. A care home would be good, or maybe some kind of support group for people with mental health difficulties? A befriending role could be good for that. Just something to think about
Askewbum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Human biology is a good (well biology). Psychology and sociology would also help you.
But that's just my opinion!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
jasssss
Rep:
?
Mhmm thank you all! Will probably stick with what I've chosen from what you've all said:-)
Askewbum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
username5231008
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gnome :))
Most unis don't care too much what your A level choices are for nursing to be honest, although some will require a science or two, so your choices look good I do biology and chemistry at the moment; biology is fairly straightforward for me, but chemistry is much harder and a massive step up from GCSE.

Don't worry too much about your subject choices; what you have is more than acceptable for nursing at any uni, just make sure you can get the grades!

Also, now might be a good time to consider work experience. Experience in a caring role is expected by most schools, and I know that experience can be particularly hard to come by. A care home would be good, or maybe some kind of support group for people with mental health difficulties? A befriending role could be good for that. Just something to think about
I'm in year 10 and I've (mentally) chosen psychology and sociology but can't decide another one, idk if I should do biology or if I should do law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.74%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.95%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.76%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (43)
23.63%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.65%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.69%

Watched Threads