The Student Room Group

What is petroleum engineering?

Hi as above what is it?
what sort of jobs can you get with a petroleum engineering degree?

Iv'e read they have a high salary, even as soon as soon as you've graduated from uni?

Il be going to uni in a years time and still dont know what to do and petroleum engineering is an option so im trying to find out as much as possible about it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by davekhan
Hi guys, can someone apply for petroleum engineering as a graduate? I cant seem to find any info on it.

If yes then can one apply with any degree or something similar to it?

Also are there any foundation year courses for this degree?

if theres anyone who did the degree as a graduate or through a foundation year course please shed some light :smile:

thank you

Yes you can do mechanical eng BEng degree then do MSc in petroleum however they are many petroleum companies that take BEng/MEng mechanical grads or Chemical eng grads. Some universities offer a specific petroleum degree!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by a10
Yes you can do mechanical eng BEng degree then do MSc in petroleum however they are many petroleum companies that take BEng/MEng mechanical grads or Chemical eng grads. Some universities offer a specific petroleum degree!

can you elaborate a little more, im a bit confused by what you are saying :smile: ?
Reply 4
bump for more answers guys
Petroleum engineering is the field of engineering which concentrates in the activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, i.e crude oil or natural gas. Exploration and Production are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry. Exploration by earth scientists, and petroleum engineering are the oil and gas industry's two main subsurface disciplines, which focus on maximizing economic recovery of hydrocarbons from subsurface reservoirs.
It is a good one and always in demand, if you are thinking to make it as a career.

Jyoti
ABCPune
Reply 6
Original post by davekhan
Hi as above what is it?
what sort of jobs can you get with a petroleum engineering degree?

Iv'e read they have a high salary, even as soon as soon as you've graduated from uni?

Il be going to uni in a years time and still dont know what to do and petroleum engineering is an option so im trying to find out as much as possible about it :smile:

It seems to me that your only reason for wanting to do this is because of the money, I've learnt the hard way, this is wrong, very wrong.

Pick something that you're going to enjoy for two reasons. One, at the end of the day we're all going to become slaves so you might as well do something that you're going to enjoy, after all if you enjoy your job, you'll never work. Secondly, if you really enjoy what you do, you'll have a great passion for it which will inevitably lead to you becoming a master at it and then you'll be raking the money in (admittedly though this isn't always the case, but it is true for the majority of jobs).

Quick Reply

Latest