Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We are doing Astrophisics in my college, but there's so much to learn and actually understand and I'm not particularly interested in doing it, but I looked on the specification and read some particle physics questions and found them a lot more interesting.

The thing is our college doesn't teach that. What would you say to me going off and teaching myself the particle physics at home during easter or something, and simple answering that topic in the test instead of astrophysics?

Good idea, or bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that IMO, as long as you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    We are doing Astrophisics in my college, but there's so much to learn and actually understand and I'm not particularly interested in doing it, but I looked on the specification and read some particle physics questions and found them a lot more interesting.

The thing is our college doesn't teach that. What would you say to me going off and teaching myself the particle physics at home during easter or something, and simple answering that topic in the test instead of astrophysics?

Good idea, or bad idea?
    If you can get a higher grade in that compared to astro why not
    Best of luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Would my teacher be able to find out?
    Is the college's choice to do astrophysics made official (would there be implications about me not doing the one my centre signed me up for?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Would my teacher be able to find out?
    Is the college's choice to do astrophysics made official (would there be implications about me not doing the one my centre signed me up for?)
    Well, if you are doing edexcel like me, then in the exam, you can answer any topics questions, whether you were taught it or not. In my school, we are learning astrophysics and solid state stuff, like stress/strain. It just gives you a choice in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    As said before, the paper has different sets of questions for each topic, you just answer the set for the topic you wish to answer them for.

ReputationRep:
    Will my teacher know about it it though? I'd feel kind of rude if I just did a different topic after she spent 4 weeks teching us astrophysics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Will my teacher know about it it though? I'd feel kind of rude if I just did a different topic after she spent 4 weeks teching us astrophysics...
    Wouldn't have thought so, unless you have to tick a box on the front, or they see you answering another section in the exam, then no.

ReputationRep:
    Lets just say that in GCSE RS the teachers taught us optional modules, and we were expected to do them in the exam.

Needless to say, some did the other ones. No teacher would know.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.