A2 English Language media text coursework help.

Watch
NatalieMorrissey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay so I need to write something based on language and gender but I'm not really sure what to write in order to make it interesting because so far all my ideas are complete rubbish.

It could also be on written language so I thought about the language of text messages and facebook and twitter but I think that could turn into a rant...

Anyways if someone could give me some advice I'd love them forever because I'm stressing a tiny bit...
Thatstudentdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you done your investigation yet? (Presuming you're with AQA). If so, look at that and see what technical things you learnt from it and how you can apply them to perhaps, a more trivial aspect - look at style models from magazines and websites for inspiration if you're really stuck, but like I said, base it on something mildly related to your investigation!
forthefirsttime
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in a similar situation. I feel confused as to what to write about. My investigation was based on how the language in cosmetic advertisements differ depending on gender. I've obviously got to link the media text to the investigation, but I don't know how to do so. I've asked my teacher quite a lot, but I still don't understand. I thought about how advertisements portray wrinkles and other natural features of ageing as flaws, but I'm not sure how to write about it! My teacher gave us an example: 'The right language for the kids', and he said that he'd write about the following: 1. set an example - standard English, 2. your upbringing, 3. language when the kids are not around and 5. how typical am I?

I understand his example, but I have no idea how to structure my media text, or what I'm actually going to write about.

He wants a detailed plan and 100 words written for tomorrow, and so far I've done nothing. AHHH.
baconlover955
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Genuinely all over the place about this. My investigation is about the differences in the language of music interviews, focusing on the Sex Pistols and Marilyn Manson, and I dunno what to do at all. Thing is, I don't actually understand what the exam board are looking for. Agh it's annoying because trying to combine a creative piece with rules really sticks my mind in a rut.
Riss2013
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys , im doing my coursework on to what extent is the language of youth culture influenced by Caribbean vernacular , im not too sure on what to do for my media text does anyone have any ideas please?
iceagesug0r
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey i'm in the same boat as you, I've done my investigation on the language of the Sex Pistols in interviews, what did you do for you media piece, i'm really struggling, thanks
GabriellaKhanx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, still doing my language investigation and mine is 'Who shows the most dominance in a female dominated house hold?' would be grateful for any ideas on what I could do for my media piece as it has to be related. Any suggestions?
Ruby_1696
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys, my investigation is on the language change. I'm almost finished and hopefully going to get an A on my coursework. So if anyone needs help with something similar to what I did I will be happy to do so
Bubblegum_x48
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How did you structure your media text? I'm doing language change also but am a bit overwhelmed with where to start
Ruby_1696
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My media text is an article u would find on the daily mail. So it had to be engaging and quite informal. In terms of structure.. I just let the words flow outta me and I seemed to have got the structure from the start. I added bits of info on teaching eng Lang here and there. Since this media text is all about teaching English language to the target demographic I'm sorry I'm of no help. But this is what I did. And I seem to be on the right track according to my teacher (predicted A/A*). Just PM me if u need anymore help. I'm quite useless though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
fish_biscuits
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What did everyone end up doing? Really stuck on how to choose a topic for my Media Text that links to my Investigation. My Investigation title was How does Laura Bush adjust the rhetoric of power and use the language of gender to suit her purpose and audience? Does that mean i can choose anything to do with Language and Gender or Language and Power? When i asked my tutor he intimated that it wasn't as simple as that but i haven't had a chance to talk to him about it since because i've had to take copious amounts of time off due to illness. I have about a week to throw something together for my Media Text, help!
floogle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I am doing my coursework on gender differences in language, purely because I don't really understand it so thought it would be good to focus a lot on it!

No idea what my type of media text is going to be though :'( I want to do something that could be for children, similar to horrible histories but someone else in my class is doing that format! Could you possibly give me any more ideas for media format?

Thank you
natalia97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruby_1696)
My media text is an article u would find on the daily mail. So it had to be engaging and quite informal. In terms of structure.. I just let the words flow outta me and I seemed to have got the structure from the start. I added bits of info on teaching eng Lang here and there. Since this media text is all about teaching English language to the target demographic I'm sorry I'm of no help. But this is what I did. And I seem to be on the right track according to my teacher (predicted A/A*). Just PM me if u need anymore help. I'm quite useless though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

mind PMing me your work so I can base mine off your structure? I wont copy, don't worry
amirsaeed1998
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by natalia97)
mind PMing me your work so I can base mine off your structure? I wont copy, don't worry
Hi can you PM me the work too? I wont cop it dw I've got some ideas just need to grasp the structure of it, Thank you
Farzana98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi im doing my investigation on 'how do comedians use youth sociolect to entertain?' i think im done with my investigation but its the media piece im struggling with. i know that i want to do it on teen speak/ slang language and how it is affecting teenagers. but im not sure how to structure it any ideas anyone? please help asap ?!?
honeydr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could someone help me with my gcse english homework?
PixieRodgers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruby_1696)
Hey guys, my investigation is on the language change. I'm almost finished and hopefully going to get an A on my coursework. So if anyone needs help with something similar to what I did I will be happy to do so
I did my investigation on how persuasive language has changed over time looking at supermarket adverts. Any ideas for a media text?? ASAP??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (99)
5.09%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
14.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (272)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.71%
Loneliness (169)
8.69%
Financial worries (69)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (171)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (186)
9.57%

Watched Threads