The Student Room Group

Plans to scrap GCSEs have been abandoned

Scroll to see replies

Maybe now people will realise that Gove is useless and a disaster waiting to happen. Nobody wanted these reforms, and it's fortunate that he's listened to opinions for the first time since he's become Education Secretary. Saying that, this back-pedaling is only because of the huge opposition by those who would have had to follow this EBacc.

Gove out!
Original post by The Mad Dog
So how many U-turns is it by this government now?

I doubt anybody has the time to count to be honest.

Here's a little guide form the Guardian about some of the more major ones: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/interactive/2011/jun/21/coalition-government-u-turns-interactive

I say 'some' as you're right, there are far too many to count. We have an 'act now, think later' Government showing more incompetence and pretty much any before it. It's shocking how ill-thought out and rush so much of what they have announced they are doing. Education is bad enough, but this is a problem that runs so deep within the Government that hardly any department isn't affected. It's like they whole country is being run by amateurs...
Original post by lbsf1
In all Micheal Gove is a sly little bastard who wants to make his mark in politics, he isn't doing what is best for the country instead he does whats best for his career (announcing the A level changes a couple of hours after Cameron anounced the europe referendum so not to cause as much of a backlash)

In fairness the announcement was probably arranged by quite a few others, e.g. the Speaker, civil servants, LotH etc
Reply 23
I think Michael Gove is going to stick to his alevel reforms as his main change, and of course that's going to be terribly ill-though out and ridiculous, he wants to scrap the whole AS level... does that mean unis go off predictions and gcse results? Glad to see the reform today, I hope he does another U-turn for alevel but I highly doubt that.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am glad the plans have been scrapped, and I hope the changes to a levels (making ASs standalone qualifications) are scrapped as well, but this mind shanging does rather highlight what a shambles Goves policies are.
Reply 25
Typical Tories with their u turns, well at least they won't be in power come June 2015, not to mention that bastard Nick Clegg over how he betrayed us. 7th May 2015 you can't come sooner.
Bring over a Finnish person and make him in charge of education. Problem sorted.
Yesssssssssssssss is all I can say.
I can see why we may need change to the education system, eg more rigorous exams etc, but Gove just wanted to do it far too quickly. While it is good to have a language GCSE, for some people it would be too hard. The fact that it missed out creative subjects was a big issue.

PS anyone else thinks Gove looks even stupider than normal in those glasses? And I thought he couldn't look worse...
whyumadtho
Poll: How confident are you in the government’s ability to lead education in the UK?

I'm not confident in the government's ability to lead the UK in general.
Good, is he going to leave A-levels alone now, or at least completely re-think his plans?

He's an idiot tbh. Universities keep stating they want A-levels to be better preparation for degree courses and workplaces want them to reflect the working environment. Now how the hell does Gove think scrapping coursework/essays, making AS levels a separate qualification from A-levels (seriously WTF is that) and making it so A-levels are based on exams at the end of two years, is going to make A-levels better?

Both university and many workplaces involve paper work, writing reports etc. Yet Gove seems to want to remove the ability to structure an essay, hell if he had this way with the GCSE and A-level system candidates would leave with random facts they've learnt for tests and when someone says... "okay write me a report on this", they'll look dumbfounded as they've never written anything on a topic which was more then a couple of sentences to answer a question on a test.

What he seems to want is a throwback to the "good old days"...which weren't any good. Hell he's been to university right? He does know how it works surely? You write...assignments/essays, you do COURSEWORK for a large percentage of your assessed work, the majority of it in many courses. Then again with how idiotic this man seems to be, maybe he never has actually written an essay, probably got the help to do it instead.:rolleyes:
Hahha Im not even gonna lie, most people like me put I have no confidence, but in reality we all have some, lets be honest here. Even though Gove is an idiot, he was smart enough not to get rid of gcses, but yes they need tweaking.
Reply 31
PLEASE REVERSE THE 'NO ALEVEL JANUARY EXAMS POLICY' UNIT 1 & 2 CHEMISTRY IN ONE SITTING? HAS HE TAKEN LEAVE OF HIS SENSES?!?!?!?! :eyeball:
Reply 32
Successive education ministers have to make changes to make it look like their predecessor was doing something wrong. Decisions on educational policy should be taken by an independently appointed committee, not headed by someone with no background in education.
Reply 33
Thank goodness.
The Government have huge problems with unemployment, yet they are completely cocking up the education of young people. If young people are not well-educated, they will not be well-equipped to deal with a job and indeed, they will not perform well in a job, thus will become unemployed.
Michael Gove and his "reforms" are neither satisfactory nor realistic and thus U-turns will continue to happen until someone gets their derriere into gear and thinks about what would actually be an effective education reform.
Schools themselves are far too focused on league tables, and would rather obtain Ofsted's 'respect' than cater well for both their more-able and less-able students at the same time.
Education needs reforming but Mr. Michael Gove is not the man for the job.
Reply 34
Original post by lilyobz
PLEASE REVERSE THE 'NO ALEVEL JANUARY EXAMS POLICY' UNIT 1 & 2 CHEMISTRY IN ONE SITTING? HAS HE TAKEN LEAVE OF HIS SENSES?!?!?!?! :eyeball:
Try 6 maths modules, 2economics modules and 2 history modules :eek:
Michael Gove is so clueless, he couldn't even organise a party down at a brewery, sums up what is wrong with our government.
Oh dear, Mr Gove...
This man just makes stupid mistake after stupid mistake.
Hopefully now he'll reintroduce January exams, I'm not fancying 7 maths modules at the end of Year 13...
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh look, another U-TURN.

FFS get it together will you? Seriously.
So are January A-level exams still going to be scrapped?
Reply 39
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
So are January A-level exams still going to be scrapped?
Yes, at least temporarily, the exam boards aren't producing papers for 2014 atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending