What can u do with Modern Languages? Watch

This discussion is closed.
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
all my family are kinda worried for me that because i aint doing medicine, which is a guaranteed money-maker, that i wont be as successful. i told them that im better at german and italian, therefore ill go further with it than i ever could with medicine, which i have no interest in whatsoever. does anyone know of anyone else who has managed to live comfortably by doing this degree? did thye do any other degree/qual after it to get somewhere?
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
all my family are kinda worried for me that because i aint doing medicine, which is a guaranteed money-maker, that i wont be as successful. i told them that im better at german and italian, therefore ill go further with it than i ever could with medicine, which i have no interest in whatsoever. does anyone know of anyone else who has managed to live comfortably by doing this degree? did thye do any other degree/qual after it to get somewhere?
Pretty much like most 'arts' subjects you can do almost any career, and in particular with fluency in 2 languages you going to be highly valued by multinational type countries.

For instance, with that degree you would be massivly qualified to go into the Civil Service, which is a realitivly comfortable career.
As it happens, my philosophy teacher while at university studied Philosophy/Greek/Latin and also became fluent in French and worked for a big finincial firm before becoming a teacher.
pither
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
hi priya my name is jo how is you well there is loads of jobs you can do with a language in gcse or a level you can have a wide range of jobs with a language do more research then get back to me at [email protected] lol love ya jo xxxxxxxxxxxx
pither
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Pretty much like most 'arts' subjects you can do almost any career, and in particular with fluency in 2 languages you going to be highly valued by multinational type countries.

For instance, with that degree you would be massivly qualified to go into the Civil Service, which is a realitivly comfortable career.
As it happens, my philosophy teacher while at university studied Philosophy/Greek/Latin and also became fluent in French and worked for a big finincial firm before becoming a teacher.
do things you feel are comfortable for you but try not to hurt people on the way do something that interests you and remember that your parents will be happy for you no matter which road you take you might not be perfect but then again who is ? love yo jo xxxxxxxxxxxx
pither
Report 14 years ago
everyone out there who is having difficulties you must do what you think is right for you dont pick something your not going to be happy with in the future of that someone else wants you to do it do it cause you feel that it feels right
nervous
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
heya - u can be an interpreter! - that does make a lot of money especially if ur in the foreign service! and yea - multilingual ppl are really valued these days by multinationals who need to negotiate with parties in different countries - knowing a language can often make or break a deal - so yea - don't worry too much, and at the end of the day - if you're happier doing modern languages - that will be enough for your family! oooh and also less stress than being a doctor! and u graduate quicker!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pither)
hi priya my name is jo how is you well there is loads of jobs you can do with a language in gcse or a level you can have a wide range of jobs with a language do more research then get back to me at [email protected] lol love ya jo xxxxxxxxxxxx
do things you feel are comfortable for you but try not to hurt people on the way do something that interests you and remember that your parents will be happy for you no matter which road you take you might not be perfect but then again who is ? love yo jo xxxxxxxxxxxx
everyone out there who is having difficulties you must do what you think is right for you dont pick something your not going to be happy with in the future of that someone else wants you to do it do it cause you feel that it feels right
Have you heard of punctuation?
Whystical
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey

There's this website, it has stuff about careers on it, it looks a little childish but it's got quite useful info:

www.s-cool.co.uk

Hope it helps.

Kate xx
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
Become a teacher.
Mystic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Translators / Interpreters,
Teachers,
Or any kind of job abroad of which you have learnt the language for, plus your others interests....
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My French teacher speaks 4 languages fluently and has worked all around the world for advertising companies. My Aunt also speaks 2 languages fluently and does secret aero-nautical things and is frequently sent abroad. They will have a lot of info about what to do with languages when you get to uni. Don't just think "teacher, interpreter" because you can do nearly anything with languages as it's SUCH a valuable skill (especially for an English company making a good impression...!)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (756)
80.34%
Leave (185)
19.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise