The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Rathika
Hi, I did GCSE and AS Latin in half the time, and I need AAA in my subjects to secure my university place. However, because of my rapid learning, which hadn't been a problem till A2, im pretty worried I wont make the A in Latin for Oxbridge. Anyone got any good tips??

Thanks so much!

Ah... study?
Mr White
Ah... study?

Whitey was does Scientia Potentia est mean?
Rathika
Hi, I did GCSE and AS Latin in half the time, and I need AAA in my subjects to secure my university place. However, because of my rapid learning, which hadn't been a problem till A2, im pretty worried I wont make the A in Latin for Oxbridge. Anyone got any good tips??

Thanks so much!

Not really. Learn your grammar and vocab, thats about it. Unlike other subjects languages mean you actually have to work at them to achieve a good grade. So my advice is work hard.
Reply 4
yeah well that was the general aim.... i meant any more useful tips.... but thanks for the insightful input
Reply 5
bono
Whitey was does Scientia Potentia est mean?

Knowledge is power.
Mr White
Knowledge is power.

Ahh right, cheers. :smile:
Reply 7
bono
Ahh right, cheers. :smile:

Elpaw already told you, why ask me?
Mr White
Elpaw already told you, why ask me?

He never told me.
Rathika
yeah well that was the general aim.... i meant any more useful tips.... but thanks for the insightful input

There is nothing more you can do. I did my latin A level in year 10 and got an A. Tips dont happen in latin, the only one I can think of is get the proscribed vocab and grammar list of your exam boards website and knuckle down.

If you want a book to help buy JACT's latin books.
Out of interest how difficult is it to get an A/A* in Latin GCSE? I hate latin with a vengence, tried to give it up quite late on in Year 10 but was told it was impossible and I should just continue with it. I managed to scrape an 80 % in my mock which I am told is a B or very low A, and this was mainly through getting high marks in the momentum, and completely making up the virgil/roman life topics (reading my script afterwards I had to laugh at some of the things I had made up). I find the subject really boring but still would like to get a good enough grade, so it doesnt make the rest of my grades look bad if you see what I mean. So can I make it by very last minute learning??
Reply 11
onlylittleme
Out of interest how difficult is it to get an A/A* in Latin GCSE? I hate latin with a vengence, tried to give it up quite late on in Year 10 but was told it was impossible and I should just continue with it. I managed to scrape an 80 % in my mock which I am told is a B or very low A, and this was mainly through getting high marks in the momentum, and completely making up the virgil/roman life topics (reading my script afterwards I had to laugh at some of the things I had made up). I find the subject really boring but still would like to get a good enough grade, so it doesnt make the rest of my grades look bad if you see what I mean. So can I make it by very last minute learning??

If it's anything like the GCSE I did yes, as you can just learn the set text by heart and just repeat it come the exam. I don't think you need that many marks for an A.
I took latin at GCSE and got an A, which I was a little surprised with because I knew the vocab and set texts off by heart and was getting pretty high marks in the mocks. I was probably let down by my lack of understanding with regards to grammar - since there was only Latin to English translation, I was getting by due to working out the vocab and using guesswork. I hadn't really done any work on grammar for years... That said I thought the GCSE was pretty mickey mouse for not testing English to Latin, despite everything else I really shouldn't have been allowed to get a high A for the amount of grammar I knew.
Reply 13
Well, I got A* for Latin at GCSE, and if you put in the work (ie learn the set texts, all that Roman life stuff) it isn't that hard. It probably helped that I enjoyed the subject and my teacher was pretty cool. I'd have to say the returns are higher in Latin if you put in the work than for a lot of other subjects, as there isn't much that can 'surprise' you in the exam, compared to other subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending