The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How would we get rid of the monarchy in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Everyone knows it's an easy degree for not-so-smart people.

so you have no proof :lol: nice one - nailed it
Original post by sleepysnooze
so you have no proof :lol: nice one - nailed it

Well, someone who barely scraped a 2:2 for law went to politics and got successive firsts. I am not sure; that's not proof at all?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Well, someone who barely scraped a 2:2 for law went to politics and got successive firsts. I am not sure; that's not proof at all?

so you don't account for enjoyment at all? :lol: do you think I'd do well in a subject that I hated in the same way I'd do well in a subject I enjoyed? if this was true, why wouldn't everybody just do medicine?
+still got no proof then?
There's no doubt they provide a benefit for many parts of the economy, whether it's representing UK business abroad or tourists buying tacky plates and mugs with their pictures on.

Last time we got rid of them we ended up inviting them back.
Original post by bssjonny
I like this video.

[video="youtube;bhyYgnhhKFw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw[/video]

The person who made that video makes a lot of great videos - however when he demonstrated that he didn't know that this country was called 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' and therefore a post-Monarchy UK would surely be called 'the United Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' he lost credibility.
(edited 8 years ago)
why would I need a legal professional to understand that the monarchy's land should be the state's land when the monarchy got that land via the state? seems very simple to understand to me...

You would need a legal professional because you make statements like that.

You didn't even know it existed until I said and you probably still haven't googled it to try and learn some basics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
You would need a legal professional because you make statements like that.

You didn't even know it existed until I said and you probably still haven't googled it to try and learn some basics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, I didn't think you were interpreting the royal grant in a way which is basically too broad to be valid when you consider where they even got that land from in the first place (the state) - I didn't think you were being *quite* so opportunistic. when I said "it costs *something*" I meant "there is a cost imposed upon the state in the loss of revenues and a cost to the tax payer regarding that overall loss" which you didn't recognise just like I didn't recognise that the monarchy should own the lands which generate those revenues
nope, I didn't think you were interpreting the royal grant in a way which is basically too broad to be valid when you consider where they even got that land from in the first place (the state) - I didn't think you were being *quite* so opportunistic. when I said "it costs *something*" I meant "there is a cost imposed upon the state in the loss of revenues and a cost to the tax payer regarding that overall loss" which you didn't recognise just like I didn't recognise that the monarchy should own the lands which generate those revenues

The state derives from the queen not the other way around.

You really need to learn some stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
The state derives from the queen not the other way around.

You really need to learn some stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) how? explain, because I disagree. you need a structure of organised violence and *then* a specific leader behind that violence. the violence precedes the leader. the leader =/= the violence. anybody can use violence. violence is the necessary element of statehood, not "being a king/queen". the king/queen therefore isn't special. the fact that a king happened to utilise a state to achieve their goals doesn't make the state something defined by its monarchy. to say that the state *needs* a monarchy is something, therefore, that I disagree with.
2) me taking a different opinion isn't me needing to "learn some stuff". seriously. I wish it was that easy to argue but it takes more work than just that I'm afraid. smugness unfortunately doesn't translate as a good argument. sucks, right?
(edited 8 years ago)
1) how? explain, because I disagree. you need a structure of organised violence and *then* a specific leader behind that violence. the violence precedes the leader. the leader =/= the violence. anybody can use violence. violence is the necessary element of statehood, not "being a king/queen". the king/queen therefore isn't special. the fact that a king happened to utilise a state to achieve their goals doesn't make the state something defined by its monarchy. to say that the state *needs* a monarchy is something, therefore, that I disagree with.
2) me taking a different opinion isn't me needing to "learn some stuff". seriously. I wish it was that easy to argue but it takes more work than just that I'm afraid.

You just don't get it these aren't opinions they are laws.

Changing those laws also violates fundamental principals of British law such as ownership.

This isn't a debate it's fact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
You just don't get it these aren't opinions they are laws.

Changing those laws also violates fundamental principals of British law such as ownership.

This isn't a debate it's fact

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow, so I guess if something is law then I guess I can't argue whether it's right or wrong(!) shucks! the legal status of the monarchy's ownership of essentially stolen property is a barrier to my ability to criticise it! aw man. I guess the reason why the americans made slavery, as a matter of property ownership, illegal, is just down to "magic" and "legal professionals" using such sorcery to break down these barriers to thought
oh wow, so I guess if something is law then I guess I can't argue whether it's right or wrong(!) shucks! the legal status of the monarchy's ownership of essentially stolen property is a barrier to my ability to criticise it! aw man. I guess the reason why the americans made slavery, as a matter of property ownership, illegal, is just down to "magic" and "legal professionals" using such sorcery to break down these barriers to thought

Laws can be changed but you understand nothing in anything that we have spoken about that much is clear to anyone objective reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Laws can be changed but you understand nothing in anything that we have spoken about that much is clear to anyone objective reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...what? so why were you telling me "this is the law." just a moment ago when you're now tossing its relevance out? I've understood that the monarchy gets a grant get pays some of the revenue to the state, I simply took issue with this arrangement given the morality of the monarchy being able to own said land in the first place. I've never not got that - I simply questioned the angle that you were coming from because of how I didn't think you'd have appealed to it when it's so easy to refute - the monarchy doesn't deserve land. it doesn't really deserve anything really apart from human rights for its incumbents of course, but all of its land is basically the result of inhumane acts in the past that are more than likely to have a large body of proof regarding its occurrence. I know they're not active dictators now, but so what? should ferdinand marcos (philippines) have been allowed to run off with billions of gold he got from the government after he got kicked out of power (from his dictatorial position)? surely that gold should go back to the government, right?
...what? so why were you telling me "this is the law." just a moment ago when you're now tossing its relevance out? I've understood that the monarchy gets a grant get pays some of the revenue to the state, I simply took issue with this arrangement given the morality of the monarchy being able to own said land in the first place. I've never not got that - I simply questioned the angle that you were coming from because of how I didn't think you'd have appealed to it when it's so easy to refute - the monarchy doesn't deserve land. it doesn't really deserve anything really apart from human rights for its incumbents of course, but all of its land is basically the result of inhumane acts in the past that are more than likely to have a large body of proof regarding its occurrence. I know they're not active dictators now, but so what? should ferdinand marcos (philippines) have been allowed to run off with billions of gold he got from the government after he got kicked out of power (from his dictatorial position)? surely that gold should go back to the government, right?

Your argument is the people should own the crown estate.

My fact is they don't for several legal reasons.

You seem to think the state is some entity that has always existed whereas in reality it hasn't.

Most people would recognise this change to have happened in the country when power passed from the royal family backed by nobles to parliament proper.

Aka the end of the civil war rather than 1314 Magna Carta not that it makes a difference to the point.

In the law written at that time the Royal would continue to be the head of state and parliament would represent the people and I'm sure you know the rest.

However there are several points to be made here.

1. It's 2016 not the 1600s so you can't legally steal someone's property without recompense.

2. Even if you wanted to over rule that law in the 1600s this legal agreement was made with a different Royal many years later.

3. The Royal of that time isn't of direct birth line for inheritance.

4. William of orange was invited by the government to become the monarch.

5. If the monarch doesn't hold that position then she becomes a private citizen with all the rights in law of a private citizen. See point 1.

We could keep going on with this but it's pointless if you spoke to a legal expert on this they would tell you it is a no go whatever road you want to go down.

Laws can be changed she could be thrown off her seat, you could take the crown lands but she would have to be recompensed and even if you ignore that the European law also states the same which supersedes our own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so you don't account for enjoyment at all? :lol: do you think I'd do well in a subject that I hated in the same way I'd do well in a subject I enjoyed? if this was true, why wouldn't everybody just do medicine?
+still got no proof then?

Medicine and law don't account for the same skills. Analysis and understanding are key concepts within law and politics, yet in your law career your analytical skills were deemed to be **** whereas in politics they are deemed to be 70%+. That tells you a lot.

I am just saying, bud, don't dare ever be cocky because you have no reason to be.
Join the United States? Declare Windsor to be a foriegn country? Send the Queen to fight against Muslims in Afghanistan/Pakistan? Imprison her and exile her to Australia, then make fun of the Aussies for being descendants of our prisoners?
Talk to this man. He can help you.

1457727429710.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BayCrazy
I'm against the Royal Family because they're a pointless ornament.

They're a passover from a colonial past. How is that a pretty or redeeming thing to be proud of :confused:

They're the symbolic left-over of Britain's criminal past, and England's stolen wealth from around the world.

It's also completely contradictory to our current, apparent way of thinking in terms of equality or all-things-being-equal when you have a rich criminal family placed on a pedestal, with prince's still being born in to this inherited wealth and inherently praised for being a part of it, by chance...

It's completely bizarre. We're in 2013.

We shouldn't have a royal family. We're supposed to be a conscious, progressive, modern, fairly ethical country. Promoting the idea of inherited wealth and automatic praise on a national... international scale goes completely against that concept. It's a farce and we shouldn't support the idea of praising these people who've been born in to this situation as if they've achieved something.

Go away
Reply 98
Same way the Russians did then I'd install some madcap dictator like Stalin for example. LoL I'm seriously left wing grew up loving Russia but thinking about the UK without a royal family well where does that leave us. First like you say you have to dispose of them somehow and then what? Don't say we could be democratic republicans because that would be nigh on impossible to be rid of them democratically.
The Windsor family represent everything contrary to what democracy and meritocracy stand for.

Being entitled to millions every year from the pockets of taxpayers just because you were born into a certain family is not something that should still be happening in the 21st century. And all this in the name of patriotism? Are people really so blind?

Latest

Trending

Trending