Turn on thread page Beta

Where abouts in the UK are you from? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Alderly Edge? I assume its not Cheadle, Bramhall or Maprle as they are all in Greater Manchester now Or maybe some where like Bowdon?
    Ah, Greater Manchester is a joke. You know you still want to be part of the red rose county really

ReputationRep:
    Nope I'm a Manc and Manchester is so good it has a country dedicated to it. But then so does Lancaster .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Well, you obviously don't know do you.
    I don't follow you.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I'm a Manc and Manchester is so good it has a country dedicated to it. But then so does Lancaster .
    Hehe. Rubbish, Manchester was kicked out of Lancashire. We didnt want ya

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Northamptonshire, and its the south midlands. I'm in Staffordshire now and thats the north midlands - anything north of here is the north.

Pig's map is a misrepresentation of the true boundaries, as I said earlier, its more to do with population than geography.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is not North, for Wales it is very South!

I am from North Devon originaly, so if only I could get to uni by boat from Ilfracombe or something it would take no time at all. Stupid Bristol Channel getting in the way...

ReputationRep:
    lol not Alderley Edge or Maccs.....Hale in Altrincham lol - not Hale Barns...Hale !! lol if you ever assume sum1 from hale lives in hale barns they get angry lol, it's very amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    lol not Alderley Edge or Maccs.....Hale in Altrincham lol - not Hale Barns...Hale !! lol if you ever assume sum1 from hale lives in hale barns they get angry lol, it's very amusing.
    Hale is in Greater Manchester!!!! Its not been Cheshire since 1973!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)

Thats very similar to people who live in Lytham or St Annes. SAy to them they live in Lytham St Annes and you will get your head bit off!

ReputationRep:
    That poll is a load of *******s! Since when has Durham been such a big county and the same for the rest? I mean you've missed one of the biggest and bestest counties on there!

And Midlands isn't a county.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    That poll is a load of *******s! Since when has Durham been such a big county and the same for the rest? I mean you've missed one of the biggest and bestest counties on there!

And Midlands isn't a county.

Rubbish, it has Lancashire, thats all that counts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Thats very similar to people who live in Lytham or St Annes. SAy to them they live in Lytham St Annes and you will get your head bit off!
    Its just daft though, I live 5 minutes walk from the Merseyvalley which is borders Sale, Sale was in Cheshire but I don't say I live 5 minutes walk from Cheshire.

The worst one is people who live in places like Reddish (not a particualy nice area) in Stockport always say they live in Cheshire, its a shanty town!

To me places like Hale, Timperly, Cheadle, Bramahal are just posh parts of Greater Manchester, not Cheshire. You don't need to live in Cheshire to live in a posh area.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish, it has Lancashire, thats all that counts
    No way! Lancashire is quite tiny! So why don't they have the biggest and most important counties on there?

ReputationRep:
    Its just daft though, I live 5 minutes walk from the Merseyvalley which is borders Sale, Sale was in Cheshire but I don't say I live 5 minutes walk from Cheshire.

The worst one is people who live in places like Reddish (not a particualy nice area) in Stockport always say they live in Cheshire, its a shanty town!

To me places like Hale, Timperly, Cheadle, Bramahal are just posh parts of Greater Manchester, not Cheshire. You don't need to live in Cheshire to live in a posh area.
    I've been to Stockport! And whilst I was on my train I saw it said it was going to East whatever and I was thinking amazingtrade lives there!

ReputationRep:
    No way! Lancashire is quite tiny! So why don't they have the biggest and most important counties on there?
    Lancashire is reasonably large for a county. Back in the day it was huge. It incorporated the majority of what is now Greater Manchester and parts of North and West Yorkshire.

Like which ones? Rutland?

ReputationRep:
    Lancashire is reasonably large for a county. Back in the day it was huge. It incorporated the majority of what is now Greater Manchester and parts of North and West Yorkshire.

Like which ones? Rutland?
    Lancashire is quite big then... I'll take that back.

Rutland?

ReputationRep:
    Lancashire is quite big then... I'll take that back.

Rutland?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutland

A very important county.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutland

A very important county.
    LOL it is actually quite cute! Although I've never heard of any of it's villages!

ReputationRep:
    This post is fantastic!! I never thought that my beloved stockport would ever be talked about so much...ever!!

To put a conclusion on the arguement, officially Stockport is in Greater Manchester, but that makes everyone think that we are from Manchester, which is wrong. We are from Cheshire. Thats why at Stockport County we sing "We're the pride of Cheshire" and, when anyone sings to us "We're the sh*t of manchester", we sing:
    "We're not from,
    We're not from,
    We're not from Manchester,
    So this is our retort,
    Look it up,
    You thick b*stards,
    We are from STOCKPORT!"

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Stockport! And whilst I was on my train I saw it said it was going to East whatever and I was thinking amazingtrade lives there!
    East Didsbury?

I live quite near there, I'm a bit further west though, in between Didsbury, Fallowfiield, Withington, Stretford, Sale, Northenden, Whalley Range and Old Trafford, all them areas border Chorlton. (its a huge area)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.