Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    That map is just daft as there is no way the North West can border the East Midlands? The East Midlands has places like Northampton in it which is near Bedfordshire. Bedfordshire is down south without a doubt.
    They are the 'official' regions. Well the East and West do have to join up and because North West begins further south than North East then that's what happens.

The East Midlands stops at the right point (south).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Odd that a point barely north of Birmingham can be considered 'north west'.
    Birmingham is quite a way away from Stoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    They are the 'official' regions. Well the East and West do have to join up and because North West begins further south than North East then that's what happens.

The East Midlands stops at the right point (south).
    Thats what I have been arguing about all this time on this thread that the official regions are wrong. I can just about see how Manchester is North West but Cheshire/Staffordhsire etc is Midlands. Its stupid that Chester to Cumbria is all considered north west when you could drive for about 150 miles north and still be in the same region.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is quite a way away from Stoke?
    About 35 miles away. You could walk it (just about)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Thats what I have been arguing about all this time on this thread that the official regions are wrong. I can just about see how Manchester is North West but Cheshire/Staffordhsire etc is Midlands. Its stupid that Chester to Cumbria is all considered north west when you could drive for about 150 miles north and still be in the same region.
    I see your point totally. It's the same with the North East, it begins at North Lincs up until the Scottish border, which is an even larger gap than the west! Very stupid!

I hate this Northern thing. It's okay for the South to be divided up in to smaller chunks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Someone has spent way too long thinking about all that!
    Well not really. I went to the school mentioned in the above article. Practically a stones through away from Dunsop. It is common knowledge around the Clitheroe area that Dunsop Bridge is the middle of the UK. Hence the reason why a student from Clitheroe (Lord H) knew it was along with me

ReputationRep:
    I see your point totally. It's the same with the North East, it begins at North Lincs up until the Scottish border, which is an even larger gap than the west! Very stupid!

I hate this Northern thing. It's okay for the South to be divided up in to smaller chunks.
    Me thinks Yorkshire is way too big

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Me thinks Yorkshire is way too big
    I know and then they go and poach a bit of Lincolnshire, it isn't is if they don't have enough land already.

ReputationRep:
    Your map is wrong.
    I was simply saying what was north was north, was south was south and midands was midlands. Ok? I know east anglia exists - you could argue I live there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I was simply saying what was north was north, was south was south and midands was midlands. Ok? I know east anglia exists - you could argue I live there!
    I know you were and you coloured in some of the wrong bits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Come now. You know full well thats a lie. Its Dunsop Bridge.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...705028498.html
    Dunsop Brige is about a 30 seconds drive from Clitheroe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Dunsop Brige is about a 30 seconds drive from Clitheroe!
    Pa. Dunsop Bridge.

Apparently Dunsop Bridge works off the claim that it is Britains centre of gravity and there are some losers in Northunbria who claim they are 'the true centre' which is just pish.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling the central point is calculated by the maximum distance from the coasts and borders.
    I heard Milton Keynes was central, but that's obviously not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I heard Milton Keynes was central, but that's obviously not true.
    Nottingham seems very central. As is Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling the central point is calculated by the maximum distance from the coasts and borders.
    Yes, and its Dunsop Bridge in Lancashire. The exact point apparently is in desolate land but the nearest place is Dunsop.

ReputationRep:
    I'd always here that the centre of the UK was Ashby-de-la-Zouch, being the further from any coast line and well and truely midlands.

I was accused of being a southerner the other day. Why do people seem to forget that the midlands exists. Either that or people think I must be a Brummie, because obviously all midlanders are from Birmingham! *rants away to self!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I'd always here that the centre of the UK was Ashby-de-la-Zouch, being the further from any coast line and well and truely midlands.

I was accused of being a southerner the other day. Why do people seem to forget that the midlands exists. Either that or people think I must be a Brummie, because obviously all midlanders are from Birmingham! *rants away to self!*

Well no. Dunsop Bridge near Clitheroe is the exact centre of gravity of Britain. In other words if you held it up on your finger it would balance perfectly at Dunsop Bridge making it the centre of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)

Yep, I get that too - all my London friends think I'm Northern, and all my Northern friends think I'm Southern. Can't win - apparently there is no middle ground. It does, however, mean that I can take the piss out of both groups.

The fun really starts when people don't know where Shropshire is, and I have to explain it's on the Welsh border, which immediately makes people assume I'm Welsh. However, it's that or say "It's near Birmingham," and I know which I prefer

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.