Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    There are other ways of keeping in touch, telecommunications, email, letters, etc.
    always keep in touch...when the new desert you, an oldie will always step in.....

like my cousin jenjen ( otherwise known as jenna), always there for me, always will be there for me, always has been there for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoKing)
    Hey,
    The other day, I was talking to my friends about uni and one of my friends started talking about meeting up and getting together over the weekends, I then chipped in, that I wasn't particulary fussed and that part of the whole uni experience is to meet new ppl and expand your horizons...She got really offended by this and started to rant that I was throwing away our friendship. I think I'm just being realistic...and since I'm going up north (Durham) and the most of my friends are going south, meeting up seems like a waste of time and money, if it is for just a weekend.
    Does anyone else think I'm being cruel having this attitude?

JoKing.
    I'm in Cambridge and my best friend from school is in Durham, but we still make the effort to meet up occasionally. So, yes you are being cruel. Your 'friend' is right to be offended.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    The other day, I was talking to my friends about uni and one of my friends started talking about meeting up and getting together over the weekends, I then chipped in, that I wasn't particulary fussed and that part of the whole uni experience is to meet new ppl and expand your horizons...She got really offended by this and started to rant that I was throwing away our friendship. I think I'm just being realistic...and since I'm going up north (Durham) and the most of my friends are going south, meeting up seems like a waste of time and money, if it is for just a weekend.

JoKing.

What if you getr there, all the people are rude and obnoxious and then you're the one begging your old mates to meet up over the weekend?
    If anything keep as a back-up. Besides, no matter how many new friends you make your old ones will always i) know you better ii) have been through more with you and iii) known you for longer.

ReputationRep:
    I read that apparently we only keep in touch with 3% of friends we meet in our entire life - and its healthy to get a new best friend every 6/7 years.

I havn't met up with friends (apart from 1) since going to uni - we email occasionally, but have just grown apart.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

JoKing.
    Even though you both seem to have reacted differently, it doesn't mean that you value your friendship any less than she does. When things start to change there always those who are confident enough to move on (though still keeping the best mates with them!) and others who are just scared of losing what they've got at that moment in time.
    You only get to do uni once - so, imo, you should throw yourself in to the new study, new social life, new relationships. Good for you for deciding to go for it!

ReputationRep:
    If you have a good friendship with someone then it should be able to survive without monthy weekend visits. I mean if you are still going to be in the same city and don't meet up, thats one thing, but if you are accross country then I think it is unreasonable for them to expect you to give up loads of weekends to visit them. You will probably discover that there are many other demands on your weekends at uni. Maintaining friendships across long distances is what MSN and email were invented for!

ReputationRep:
    I intend to keep in touch with my friends whilst at uni, during term time by phone/msn etc. and then at the holidays we can meet up and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    i think you underestimate how much you'll miss your friends when you've gone, just for interaction where you dont have to explain yourself...i found meeting up with a mate just for 1 night..and it was expensive to get there and back....did me more good than the debt did bad for me.

money and time are worthless, friends are worth the world.

love Katy ***

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.