The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not an official course, so no you can't include them in the education section. You can talk about them in your personal statement, though
Original post by Juno
It's not an official course, so no you can't include them in the education section. You can talk about them in your personal statement, though
:eek:

Well actually you are very wrong. According to UCAS Coursera certificates should be listed in your qualification page. However the university of your choice will decide if it would be considerate
Reply 3
Original post by kostasxantho

Well actually you are very wrong. According to UCAS Coursera certificates should be listed in your qualification page. However the university of your choice will decide if it would be considerate

Only if it leads to a qualification - which most don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd have to take the advanced track courses (which require a fee) in order for them to count as actual courses. I took a few but completely forgot about them when it came to UCAS. You can mention it in your personal statement but they don 't actually count as qualifications.
Reply 5
I too am interested in Pharmacy and I was looking at this site and edX. But would you say these are worth it, would the admissions tutors be impressed if you did these and mentioned them in your personal statement?
Original post by chickenonsteroids
You'd have to take the advanced track courses (which require a fee) in order for them to count as actual courses. I took a few but completely forgot about them when it came to UCAS. You can mention it in your personal statement but they don 't actually count as qualifications.

No actually not at all. Any certificate or Statement of Accomplishment coursera gives counts as actual courses. Trust me i have been using coursera so many years and asked so many different people. Every certificate/statement you get from a course can be considerate as qualification. However the advanced track courses are more reliable. I have listed my 6 Statements in my UCAS application however my university will decide if they accept it or not. Some do some others dont. For example the University of Edinburgh offers some courses at coursera. Do you think they wouldn't considerate their owns statements?
No actually not at all. Any certificate or Statement of Accomplishment coursera gives counts as actual courses. Trust me i have been using coursera so many years and asked so many different people. Every certificate/statement you get from a course can be considerate as qualification. However the advanced track courses are more reliable. I have listed my 6 Statements in my UCAS application however my university will decide if they accept it or not. Some do some others dont. For example the University of Edinburgh offers some courses at coursera. Do you think they wouldn't considerate their owns statements?

I know that they offer certificates but they aren't reputable as proper ones. You wouldn't list 5 coursera courses and expect an employer to take them really seriously.

University of London offers courses, so do American universities. It'd put you in a good light but not class as a proper qualification. That's why advanced track was brought in.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I know that they offer certificates but they aren't reputable as proper ones. You wouldn't list 5 coursera courses and expect an employer to take them really seriously.

University of London offers courses, so do American universities. It'd put you in a good light but not class as a proper qualification. That's why advanced track was brought in.

However only a very small percent of universities has join the signature track. I am not saying that you can get a a job or a coursera certificates worths something. However if you list in on UCAS the universities will have a positive view. Even if they dont recognize they will considerate that you are a person that wants to enchant his/her knowledge.
Reply 9

I suppose you're referring to the Education Section of the UCAS form; In that case- which "school/university/centre" would you pick? I'm really curious- I did take some subject related Coursera modules and would really like to list them.
Last year, someone posted this very question to the UCAS Facebook page and received the following answer:

If it's a certificated qualification then you can put it down. However, it's up to your university choices as to whether they will consider it as part of their entry requirements.

https://www.facebook.com/ucasonline/posts/505473902819061
Reply 11
There is a distinction to be made here between a course where you are awarded a certificate of attendance/completion and one where you are awarded a certificate of attainment.

If the course is formally assessed and you only get a certificate if you reach a minimum standard (ie attainment), that goes in the Education section.

If the course is not formally assessed and everyone who has participated gets a certificate to say they've done so, then it can't go in the Education section. In that case your participation can be mentioned in your PS; alternatively, it could be mentioned in the section where you are invited to put in details of any activities you've undertaken as preparation for university.
Reply 12
Original post by Eldred
I suppose you're referring to the Education Section of the UCAS form; In that case- which "school/university/centre" would you pick? I'm really curious- I did take some subject related Coursera modules and would really like to list them.

You use the details that are on your certificate.

Original post by Minerva
There is a distinction to be made here between a course where you are awarded a certificate of attendance/completion and one where you are awarded a certificate of attainment.

If the course is formally assessed and you only get a certificate if you reach a minimum standard (ie attainment), that goes in the Education section.

If the course is not formally assessed and everyone who has participated gets a certificate to say they've done so, then it can't go in the Education section. In that case your participation can be mentioned in your PS; alternatively, it could be mentioned in the section where you are invited to put in details of any activities you've undertaken as preparation for university.

With coursera, it's not really a certificate of attendance as such, but more that the basic course is free. It's therefore assessed, but they put no effort into things such as plagiarism - so they can't give you a certificate of achievement as theoretically your friend could have done it. It is possible to sign up for a course and do no work, but that won't give anything as you will fail.
If you pay for the module and use "Signature Track" then they do check for plagiarism and will award you a certificate of achievement, as they can be sure it is all your own work.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
With coursera, it's not really a certificate of attendance as such, but more that the basic course is free. It's therefore assessed, but they put no effort into things such as plagiarism - so they can't give you a certificate of achievement as theoretically your friend could have done it. It is possible to sign up for a course and do no work, but that won't give anything as you will fail.
If you pay for the module and use "Signature Track" then they do check for plagiarism and will award you a certificate of achievement, as they can be sure it is all your own work.
Up to a point - nothing to stop your Auntie Mabel from doing the work for you and you submitting it; no plagiarism detector will pick that up.

I was using the term 'formal assessment' to mean what happens when a course is properly accredited and where there are checks in place to prevent plagiarism and other academic delinquency - including maintenance and consistency of standards. For my money I don't think any of these coursera options, even the paid-for ones, belongs in a qualifications section of an academic application, but maybe I'm being picky....
Well it's complicated.
To make it Simple, Signature track/advance track can be easier for a uni to consider it as a certificate. You can list it at the education section as other (non-eu qualifications). However its up to the university if they consider it as a certificate or not. If you have a regular statement of accomplishment you can mention about it at your personal statement. I am unaware what happens with Edx because it's certificates have a verification code that coursera's lack.
Reply 15
Original post by Minerva
Up to a point - nothing to stop your Auntie Mabel from doing the work for you and you submitting it; no plagiarism detector will pick that up.

I was using the term 'formal assessment' to mean what happens when a course is properly accredited and where there are checks in place to prevent plagiarism and other academic delinquency - including maintenance and consistency of standards. For my money I don't think any of these coursera options, even the paid-for ones, belongs in a qualifications section of an academic application, but maybe I'm being picky....

That's true for any distance learning course. You wouldn't suggest that the OU isn't reputable, and many modules don't have exams so they have no way of knowing it isn't yours. Even when the modules do have exams someone else could submit the assignments and then you could take the exam.

I did a course with Vision2Learn and got a qualification, with nothing on the certificate to indicate it was through Vision2Learn and not a more traditional method, yet they put no effort into checking it was my work.
I did a certified Astronomy course (loads of physics and maths involved) through coursera. I didn't list it in my education section but wrote about it fairly comprehensively in my personal statement - I applied to do physics.

I guess it would've been better for me to list it as an actual qualification, but I didn't know at the time. Ah well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Juno
That's true for any distance learning course. You wouldn't suggest that the OU isn't reputable, and many modules don't have exams so they have no way of knowing it isn't yours. Even when the modules do have exams someone else could submit the assignments and then you could take the exam.

I did a course with Vision2Learn and got a qualification, with nothing on the certificate to indicate it was through Vision2Learn and not a more traditional method, yet they put no effort into checking it was my work.
That's true, but the key difference is that there's money involved, so numbers are smaller and there is proper tutor supervision - which even on a coursework based module should mean that anything odd is noticed and picked up on. But yes, it's certainly true that a determined person could do that and it's hard to know how you could completely prevent it.

If someone turned up to do the exam, having had "a lot of assistance" with the TMAs, you'd expect to see a significant discrepancy between the marks, and that might ring alarm bells too.

I'm not saying don't do the coursera stuff, or any other of these new MOOCs that are all the rage at the moment. What I am saying is that people should recognise their limitations, and that they aren't qualifications in the sense that UCAS (and the unis for that matter) mean it.
From Coursera's T&Cs: https://www.coursera.org/about/terms

ONLINE COURSE AND CERTIFICATIONS
You acknowledge that the Statement of Accomplishment, and Coursera’s Online Courses, will not stand in the place of a course taken at an accredited institution, and do not convey academic credit. You acknowledge that neither the instructors of any Online Course nor the associated Participating Institutions will be involved in any attempts to get the course recognized by any educational or accredited institution, unless explicitly stated otherwise by Coursera. The format of the Statement of Accomplishment will be determined at the discretion of Coursera and the instructors, and may vary by class in terms of formatting, e.g., whether or not it reports your detailed scores or grades in the class, and in other ways.

You may not take any Online Course offered by Coursera or use any Statement of Accomplishment as part of any tuition-based or for-credit certification or program for any college, university, or other academic institution without the express written permission from Coursera. Such use of an Online Course or Statement of Accomplishment is a violation of these Terms of Use.

Coursera courses are non-credit bearing - they're therefore NOT eligible for inclusion in the Education section of UCAS

Coursera/EdX/futurelearn courses are EXCELLENT ways of demonstrating learning beyond your school curriculum and a commitment to the subject, they also make good topics for discussion in your PS if they cover areas of your subject that you're interested in studying further.

But they're not qualifications any more than a certificate of attendance at a public lecture or evidence from your IT that you downloaded and watched content from iTunes U count as qualifications.
How can you use the details on your certificate when you would get that at the end of the school year, but the UCAS application needs to be filled in around November / December?I'm currently doing an online A level mathematics course with Oxford Learning College but not sure how to add it into my UCAS application.

Latest

Trending

Trending