Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    All public school students are spoilt. Everyone knows that.
    I know people who's parents have sold their cars and houses to send their kids to private schools, then had to leave after a couple of years as they can't afford the fees. Some of them have only a small selection of clothes and other positions like that. Not all public (/private) school kids are rich or spoilt. It's just parents trying hard for their kids, it would be more immoral to be rich and send them to a crappy state school because of some misplaced political throwback.

People who move house to get to the catchments area of a better state school are no worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    What the HELL does comming from a public school have to do with being SPOILT? Why do people automatically identify the two, or "Rich and Spoilt".... its this pathetic jealousy that has grown into a steryotype that has little or no basis...

Can I ask - how many public school students do you know?
    hav i sed anything about pupils coming from a public schools gota do with being spoilt?

I do know quite alot of people who comes from a public school actually. was tat a sarcastic quest.?

ReputationRep:
    What the HELL does coming from a public school have to do with being SPOILT? Why do people automatically identify the two, or "Rich and Spoilt".... its this pathetic jealousy that has grown into a stereotype that has little or no basis...
    No matter how many contrived exceptions you cite, the vast majority of people who attend "public" schools are from families that range from reasonably to very rich.

Being reasonably rich is a necessary condition of being able to spoil your children.

Hence, it follows that a higher proportion of public school attendees will be spoilt compared to the proportion of the population as a whole.

Can I ask - how many public school students do you know?
    About 150.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    No matter how many contrived exceptions you cite, the vast majority of people who attend "public" schools are from families that range from reasonably to very rich.

Being reasonably rich is a necessary condition of being able to spoil your children.

Hence, it follows that a higher proportion of public school attendees will be spoilt compared to the proportion of the population as a whole.

About 150.
    But spoilt doesn't have to be defined in purely materialistic terms, does it? You can spoil a child by letting him / her do what he / she wants all or most of the time, rather than guiding them to do what is in their best interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

About 150.
    Thats just entirely wrong - Ok fine ... it may well be that there are MORE spoilt children at public school ... because their families are richer - but that is NOT to say that there is a HIGH propensity of it ....

ReputationRep:
    Thats just entirely wrong
    How so? Which bit do you disagree with?

- Ok fine ... it may well be that there are MORE spoilt children at public school ... because their families are richer - but that is NOT to say that there is a HIGH propensity of it ....
    Perhaps not, although that may come down to how you define "spoilt". I set out to show why your ascertain that there was "little or no basis" to the claim of a correlation was wrong. I feel I have done that.

(Original post by d750)
    But spoilt doesn't have to be defined in purely materialistic terms, does it? You can spoil a child by letting him / her do what he / she wants all or most of the time, rather than guiding them to do what is in their best interests.
    Yes, of course. The material factors are an important element, though, hence I think my justification still stands.

ReputationRep:
    All of the unis mentioned this thread and:
    Edinburgh
    UCL

And places like that seem to be the Oxbridge dumping ground.
    Does anyone know if Warwick has a lot of rich kids?

ReputationRep:
    according to my brother, most seem to be richer than our family (not hard) but i don't get the impression there's a majority of spoilt rich kids.

ReputationRep:
    The "rich kids are spoilt ******s" thing is really just a result of resentment and baseless envy - most people at public school are perfectly nice ... and most of the people who dispute that have only met a handful
    This is not true at all. Well at least not in my case. I obviously don't argue that I've met all the private school boys and girls in the world, nor do I say they are all ******s. However, the ones I know who go to the two nearest private schools are actually over-privaleged ******s (apart from one girl, who hates her school!). Infact, one who was spoilt completely as a child now only goes to school once a week because he just cant stand not having his own way. The only reason he hasnt been excluded is because mummy and daddy still insist on paying the astronomical fees.

Also, in your post you contradicted yourself in the same sentance. You claim that everyone who has a problem with private school kids bases this on envy and resentment (a generalisation), and then go on to criticise people for saying that on the basis of only meeting a few private school kids (a criticism of a generalisation). You cant use generalisations to your own advantage then criticise others for using them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    All of the unis mentioned this thread and:
    Edinburgh
    UCL

And places like that seem to be the Oxbridge dumping ground.
    Does anyone know if Warwick has a lot of rich kids?
    Ah most top universities will be an oxbridge dumping ground, the guy who showed me round warwick was an oxbridge dumpee He was perfectly nice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    This is not true at all. Well at least not in my case. I obviously don't argue that I've met all the private school boys and girls in the world, nor do I say they are all ******s. However, the ones I know who go to the two nearest private schools are actually over-privaleged ******s (apart from one girl, who hates her school!). Infact, one who was spoilt completely as a child now only goes to school once a week because he just cant stand not having his own way. The only reason he hasnt been excluded is because mummy and daddy still insist on paying the astronomical fees.
    What a complete waste of space... :mad: I'd have kicked him out and funded some other bright student to take his place.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    What a complete waste of space... :mad: I'd have kicked him out and funded some other bright student to take his place.
    I'd fine his parents and exclude him from any form of education (private or otherwise) within the UK for a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'd fine his parents and exclude him from any form of education (private or otherwise) within the UK for a long period of time.
    What's wrong with the situation as it is? As long as his parents are happy to pay, everyone's happy.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinon this so called "private school arogance" develops at home... my parents never let me get away with being boastful and made an effort make me realise that just because I went to the prep school I was not any better. I always mixed and had friends from the local primary school. Arogant children are only like that because their parents let them get away with it, in the same way that parents teach kids to be polite most teach their children not to boast, but some don't. I think you will find an equal amount of arogant kids at a state school bragging about their dad's new car as you would at a public school.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    In my opinon this so called "private school arogance" develops at home... my parents never let me get away with being boastful and made an effort make me realise that just because I went to the prep school I was not any better. I always mixed and had friends from the local primary school. Arogant children are only like that because their parents let them get away with it, in the same way that parents teach kids to be polite most teach their children not to boast, but some don't. I think you will find an equal amount of arogant kids at a state school bragging about their dad's new car as you would at a public school.
    I absolutely agree with you. I have done the same with my children who happen to go to a private school because my husband teaches there and we get half fees (otherwise we couldn't afford it). Both my daughters are delightful, self-possessed,but polite and well-mannered. It IS down to the parents and it is your responsibility as a parent to help your child become a member of society in the fullest sense.
    I teach in a grammar school (yes there are still a few out there!) and I can tell you from experience that there a large number of pupils nowadays who have a very arrogant attitude and their parents let them run rings around them! Certainly it has increased - and the parents have no control even over Year 8 and 9 aged pupils... and yet expect the school to do all the parenting for them!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Louise 1988 is right. I come from the other end of the scale, and my old school was the best example of the grimy, grisly comprehensive I know, and a sizeable minority of the kids there were complete tossers. The types of kids people cross the road to avoid. Naturally, everyone at the school became tarred with the same brush.

However, just because I went to that school, doesn't mean I'm like that, or ever was. My parents have taught me better than to be like some of those kids in that school. And so, this is my all-around-the-houses way of saying, just because some kids who went to fee-paying schools are arrogant little twerps, doesn't mean they all are. We could all get stereotyped by our schools in some way. The nice thing about university is we get to leave it behind to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabsuk)
    Hi there, just curious as to where all these kids with ridiculous amounts of money go to study ,do they go to a london uni or elsewhere.im not talking about public school kids though.can anyone shed some light
    I was talking about this to someone just yesterday actually.

The stereotypical public schoolboy/girl goes to Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham or Exeter.

I don't mean to cause offense, but this is the traditional view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I was talking about this to someone just yesterday actually.

The stereotypical public schoolboy/girl goes to Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham or Exeter.

I don't mean to cause offense, but this is the traditional view.
    Since we're going on traditional views, the 3 I've heard (aside from Oxbridge) are Bristol and Durham, as you mentioned, and also Edinburgh. Like you say tho, this is very stereotypical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Since we're going on traditional views, the 3 I've heard (aside from Oxbridge) are Bristol and Durham, as you mentioned, and also Edinburgh. Like you say tho, this is very stereotypical.
    Edinburgh does have a fair few poshos, but they tend to be range rover posh instead of rah rah posh. And of course, the vast majority of people there are normal and nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    Edinburgh does have a fair few poshos, but they tend to be range rover posh instead of rah rah posh. And of course, the vast majority of people there are normal and nice.
    Ha ,'poshos' cant be normal and nice?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.