The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have this problem everytime I pop into Tesco's with my younger sister! I'm eighteen and 5 ft 4, however she's fourteen and 5 ft 7 which makes her look older and of similar age to myself. Every time the cashier ID's us both, and refuses sale. I understand why though, I work at M&S and have to follow a similar policy as the store can be fined a great deal of money if caught "selling to minors" which would obviously involve disciplinary actions for me also.
Some supermarkets have really stupid policies on alcohol. My dad (in his 50s) was refused sale a few years ago, on the basis that I was with him, and couldn't provide ID. Madness.
Reply 22
Original post by limetang
They are perfectly within their rights to refuse to sell you alcohol even if you are of drinking age. They aren't obliged to sell you alcohol just because you're of drinking age.

Perfectly correct. Anyone can refuse sale of anything, to anyone. No idea why you were 'negged'.
Reply 23
Original post by bssjonny
I know somebody who is and looks 22 but was refused buying a game rated 12.
He didn't have ID but still it's a bit stupid. There's erring on the side of caution and then there is just plain silliness.

I myself was once asked for ID in ordering a big mac.

No idea what was going through that employees head at the time.

My friend and I were once IDed for coffee in weatherspoons. We were 25 at the time to :lolwut:

At op: I used to work in an off licence and we were told that if there was a group of young people going in together that all of them needed to show ID.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
If I buy booze with my fiancée (I'm 20, she's 22) we don't even go through together any more. She rarely has ID with her and even though she is obviously older than 18 they still ID her.
I've been ID'd IN the alcohol aisle. I was just browsing the aisle, not even looking for anything to buy!
I'd been with my mum in Sainsbury's and she's bought a bottle of wine with the weekly shop and i've been asked for ID. I always forget to take it and when i tell them i'm 22 they usually give me the benefit of the doubt.

Saying that, whenever i'm buying alcohol on my own or going to clubs, i seem to have so many cashiers and bouncers questioning my ID because they think it's fake. One guy in Tesco was literally bending my driving licence back and forward for about 5 seconds and staring at me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Bloody jobsworths.
Sorry, but my job ain't going to be on the line for the sake of your convenience. Complain at the law, not me.
Reply 29
Original post by JenniGold
I am 19 I was with my sister who is 12 because I was looking after her, I went to buy some larger but the lady on the till refused to sell it to me despite me having valid identification (driving license). I asked why and they told me that policy is that they don't know our age so they can't sell it? (another women walks over at this point) telling the cashier it is up to her whether she wants to sell it. She said no I ask why? I said that you know my age i'm an adult so why can't you sell it? 'because you and her look similar ages' ' I'm an adult she is 12' the women said 'it's my prerogative, my job, if you have the authorities outside, it's me in trouble' but yet it's not against the law in the UK to buy alcohol at the age of 19 with identification!? In the end all the staff were coming over so I just went rather annoyed.

So has anyone else had this experience? this happens to me a lot but I am often responsible for my sister, there is no law being broken so what is the issue, with the staff?

Not often are middle-aged older people questioned about purchasing alcohol when they are with child, therefore suggesting age bias in selling alcohol to individuals with children.

Happens all the time :smile:
They suspect your buying it on someone elses behalf so they have the right to refuse to sell it to anyone they would like.
Maybe ask your sister to stand outside for 5 minutes while you pop in for some beer next time :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by rockrunride
Sorry, but my job ain't going to be on the line for the sake of your convenience. Complain at the law, not me.

:rofl2:
No sooner do i say it one appears.
Original post by n00
:rofl2:
No sooner do i say it one appears.

Yup. I have reasonably decent common sense and discretion, but I ultimately am not going to lose my job over it.

Suspicious case refused sale = walks down the street and buys it somewhere else.
Suspicious case granted sale and turns out to be underage = my job and income lost.

My basic needs > your convenience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
It happened to me once as well when I was with my younger sister, and i'm 21. It is annoying, especially seeing as they only seem to do it to people around the ages of 18-21. My parents have never been questioned about buying alcohol when i've been with them.

There's always other places to go though, it's a slight annoyance at most.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bssjonny
I know somebody who is and looks 22 but was refused buying a game rated 12.
He didn't have ID but still it's a bit stupid. There's erring on the side of caution and then there is just plain silliness.

I myself was once asked for ID in ordering a big mac.

No idea what was going through that employees head at the time.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has been ID'd for food... In my case, it's to do with Wetherspoons policy of no under 18s after 7pm or something.
Reply 34
I work in a shop that sells alcohol, the cashier was correct. All people present must have ID (if they look young) not just the person buying it. "It's for me, not her" Do we know that? Do we know you? Or that you won't share it? Nope.

We've had to refuse middle aged women because they've let their teen carry the basket containing alcohol up to the till. It's strict, and the amount of customers who don't have a clue is unbelievable.

I totally understand people being annoyed, its stupidly over the top, but rules are rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I think shops do realise that most people can get around it by getting underage people to wait outside etc, but it makes sense for them to ID everyone present as a) it's the law and b) trading standards/the police often hire kids to try and buy alcohol if they get an impression that shops might be selling to underage people.
Reply 36
This happened to me once, I was 18 and with 2 friends who were 17 and 19. I was buying the drink and the only query was that the drinks price was coming up wrong on the till. The security officer came over to check and he spent about 10 mins looking at all of our IDs even though I was the only one buying it. Then because one of my friends was 17 he wouldn't sell me the drink...it was ridiculous as I've bought drink hundreds of times with people younger than me.
I have been asked for ID before because I was with my friend who was buying booze, it's pretty normal. If I have asked my little brother to wait outside while I buy some before too because I know they'd probably refuse me if I was with him (even though I'm not buying for him either).
My dad actually has been refused for buying a game in Tesco because it was a 16 rating and my brother was with him, who was probably 15 at the time, and I have also seen a woman be refused for buying wine when she was with her daughter, caused a big commotion in the shop.
I agree with you though they are probably more cautious when it comes to groups of younger people because legally parents could allow their kids to have alcohol in their own home.
Reply 38
Original post by gemmam
My friend and I were once IDed for coffee in weatherspoons. We were 25 at the time to :lolwut:

I've been ID'd for a J2O in Weatherspoons, and kicked out when I couldn't provide it! At the age of 21.

I hate that company :tongue: For 2 months between my passport expiring and me getting a new one I was refused entry to every pub, bar and club owned by Weatherspoons.
Reply 39
Original post by rockrunride
Complain at the law, not me.

Which law is that?

Latest

Trending

Trending