The Student Room Group

Can someone check if I'm using the right method (forces question, AQA AS unit 2)

An object of weight 7.5N hangs on the end of a cord, which is attached to the midpoint of a wire stretched between two points on the same horizontal level, as shown in the picture below. Each half of the wire is at 12 degrees to the horizontal. Calculate the tension in each half of the wire.

Heres what I did:

Tension 1 = Tension 2

7.5N divided by 2 = 3.75N

so 3.75N is the vertical component of Tension 1 (T)

3.75 = Tsin12

T = 3.75/sin12

is this how most people would tackle this question? because I'm under the assumption that in general you shouldn't have to resort to dividing by 'sinx' (or cosx, tanx)

so is there a different method, or is this the standard way to do this question?

(if you have the nelson thornes AQA AS textbook, its question 4 on page 108)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jack93o
An object of weight 7.5N hangs on the end of a cord, which is attached to the midpoint of a wire stretched between two points on the same horizontal level, as shown in the picture below. Each half of the wire is at 12 degrees to the horizontal. Calculate the tension in each half of the wire.

Heres what I did:

Tension 1 = Tension 2

3.75 = Tsin12

T = 3.75/sin12

is this how most people would tackle this question? because I'm under the assumption that in general you shouldn't have to resort to dividing by 'sinx' (or cosx, tanx)

so is there a different method, or is this the standard way to do this question?

It's the right idea.

You should balance the vertical forces.
Downwards you have the weight of the object and upwards you have the equal tensions in the two halves of the string.

The vertical components of those tensions are

T sin 12 + T sin 12
(or T cos 78 + T cos 78)

The equation you should write down is
7.5 = T sin 12 + T sin 12

this gives your answer.

There is no basis for your assumption

"because I'm under the assumption that in general you shouldn't have to resort to dividing by 'sinx' (or cosx, tanx)"

You often have to divide by sin, cos or tan. Why not?
Reply 2
りゅうつうきこう イザベルマラン コート ロースト チキン ちょうへい イザベルマラン ブーツ アリベデルチ おび ねんのため きんゆうかい べつよう Peuterey Jacket ノイズ フィギュア どそく superdry 通販 まいとし しょうひん ちょうぜつ tommy hilfiger 時計 かんぷく そしらぬ リフュース けぎらい tom ford みずけむり じいろ
Reply 3
Original post by Stonebridge
It's the right idea.

You should balance the vertical forces.
Downwards you have the weight of the object and upwards you have the equal tensions in the two halves of the string.

The vertical components of those tensions are

T sin 12 + T sin 12
(or T cos 78 + T cos 78)

The equation you should write down is
7.5 = T sin 12 + T sin 12

this gives your answer.

There is no basis for your assumption

You often have to divide by sin, cos or tan. Why not?

Oh thats great then, thanks for clearing this up for me.

I can't remember exactly but I think my assumption came from my maths teacher telling me a while back about how I shouldn't be dividing by sinx/cox/tanx while doing trigs questions (even though I got the right answer), I think she said something about it being messy and that theres an alternative method :s-smilie:, although I have may have remembered wrong or misinterpreted what she said.
Original post by Jack93o

Heres what I did:

Tension 1 = Tension 2

3.75 = Tsin12

T = 3.75/sin12

isnt it T cos (12), not T cos (78) as it's the angle made with th horizontal.....
Original post by vix.xvi
isnt it T cos (12), not T cos (78) as it's the angle made with th horizontal.....

No. It's the vertical components that balance the 7.5N weight.

This thread is 7 years old. :smile:
Original post by Stonebridge
No. It's the vertical components that balance the 7.5N weight.

This thread is 7 years old. :smile:

ohhh thanks so much
oops didnt see that!

Quick Reply

Latest