The Student Room Group

How much will Rear Tints, not completely blacked out increase my insurance?

Hey, basically as in title.

It costs £100 to get my rear windows, quarter windows and windscreen tinted on my Volkswagen,

How much will this increase my insurance price as I get mixed answers online, some say it affects it and some say it doesn't.

If it does, how much am I looking at?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the time it's taken for me to reply to this thread to offer you a non-answer, you could have phoned your insurance company and asked them.
Reply 2
We aren't your insurance company, so we can't tell you. Best bet is to just call up and say you are interested in doing it, how much will it change my premium by? Mine increased by £2000 though so I didn't bother :lol:
Reply 3
I phoned after posting this haha, they said it wont affect it so will get them done :smile: !
Reply 4
Good stuff :borat:
Reply 5
Original post by Aay
I phoned after posting this haha, they said it wont affect it so will get them done :smile: !

Be careful.............there are rules on which windows can be done, and how much light they have to let through, have seen some places not care, and people being forced to get rid of the tints, a waste of money.
Reply 6
Original post by Iqbal007
Be careful.............there are rules on which windows can be done, and how much light they have to let through, have seen some places not care, and people being forced to get rid of the tints, a waste of money.

Nah dont worry, my family has quite a few cars and we always get them done from pentagon and are all tinted, only time we ever got asked to remove them was when we tinted the x5's front windows which we kind of knew we would get pulled up.

Rest have been fine.
Reply 7
Back windows can be tinted however you like. IIRC windscreen has to let 85% of light through, driver and passenger windows have to let 75% of light through.

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

I was wrong, 75% front 70% sides haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Aay
Nah dont worry, my family has quite a few cars and we always get them done from pentagon and are all tinted, only time we ever got asked to remove them was when we tinted the x5's front windows which we kind of knew we would get pulled up.

Rest have been fine.

loooooooooool why would you do that hahah
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007
loooooooooool why would you do that hahah

Looked nice while they lasted hahah
Reply 10
Original post by Maccees
Back windows can be tinted however you like. IIRC windscreen has to let 85% of light through, driver and passenger windows have to let 75% of light through.

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

I was wrong, 75% front 70% sides haha

Yeah, sounds good. Tints are tints to me really :tongue:
Out of interest, what insurance company are you with? I'm thinking of getting my rear passenger windows slightly tinted as well. Might give them a ring some time this week. :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Hustler-1337
Out of interest, what insurance company are you with? I'm thinking of getting my rear passenger windows slightly tinted as well. Might give them a ring some time this week. :wink:

Aviva, I havent got round to it yet, one place is saying £100, but the place we've always went to is costing me £135, tried to get him down but he came up with some crap about how times are hard, no value for repeated customers.
It depends. Some insurance companies wont charge extra for it. With the ones that do- they all charge different amounts. Its best to phone them up and find out.
Reply 14
Yes it wii certainly affect your insurance I was with my company for 10 years got a brand new car they insured it I then got rear windows tinted told them and Bang we are cancelling your policy as we don't allow for modifications I was only paying £265 fully comp protected N/C and Top breakdown cover I then had to go to Adrian Flux nearly £500 so the long & short of it DONT Modify your car
Reply 15
Original post by Lock N
Yes it wii certainly affect your insurance I was with my company for 10 years got a brand new car they insured it I then got rear windows tinted told them and Bang we are cancelling your policy as we don't allow for modifications I was only paying £265 fully comp protected N/C and Top breakdown cover I then had to go to Adrian Flux nearly £500 so the long & short of it DONT Modify your car

This thread is well over 3 years old. Get lost.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
This thread is well over 3 years old. Get lost.

Another Keyboard Gangster what are you reading it for then ?? Clown ??
Reply 17
Original post by Lock N
Another Keyboard Gangster what are you reading it for then ?? Clown ??
Because you bumped it up without any reason you absolute muppet; you're the one who replied to a conversation three years late! The cheek of you 😂😂😂
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
Because you bumped it up without any reason you absolute muppet; you're the one who replied to a conversation three years late! The cheek of you 😂😂😂

Has he done something to hurt you in the past? Seems like a strong reaction.
Reply 19
Original post by FXX
Has he done something to hurt you in the past? Seems like a strong reaction.

Nope, it's a new user; fact of the matter is I cannot stand people who bump years old threads for no good reason - mods should lock them.

Latest

Trending

Trending