Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Question for Geographers really..

I know its 2r/a * 1000 where r = radius of sharpest angle of the sone and a = longest axis however do you have to use mm or cm for r and a values?

Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    any1 ? :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    Question for Geographers really..

I know its 2r/a * 1000 where r = radius of sharpest angle of the sone and a = longest axis however do you have to use mm or cm for r and a values?

Thanks for replying
    I'm a Physicist but I can answer your question using a purely mathematical approach. Because you are dividing r by a, as long as they have the same units it won't matter which ones you use (cm, mm, m, km, inches, miles, AU, light-years etc - although some of these would be pretty silly units to use!). All you are interested in here is the ratio of 2r to a.

For example
    Suppose r = 30 cm = 300 mm and a = 15 cm = 150 mm

Then, with r and a in cm:

2r/a * 1000 = (2*30)/15 * 1000 = 4000

With r and a in mm:

2r/a * 1000 = (2*300)/150 * 1000 = 4000

These results are the same.

ReputationRep:
    but the equation is only spose to give a value between 0 and 1000 - where 1000 is perfectly round .. :-/ ?

ReputationRep:
    ahh ive see what youve done and i understand now

you wouldnt of known it but r will never if ever be a larger figure than a, thanks tho mate - I will use mm for both

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, it will give a value between 0 and 1000 as long as 2r<=a. I didn't know that it had to be between 0 and 1000 because I'd never seen the equation before (My knowledge of Geography is a GCSE A* that I got in 2001 - therefore limited). The statement about the units is still true though, just make sure that 2r is less than or equal to a.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.