Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I know there's a few heads here hoping to go to Manchester or UMIST (won't be a difference soon), and some might even be going to their Open House event tomorrow. So I thought I'd make a thread about it for us to discuss it. And here it is.

Well I'm going with my folks, they want to see where they're sending me for three years and if it's safe and comfortable etc... I don't need them to come and I know which accommodation I'm applying for but any excuse to go there. We're driving, which might cause problems with the Manchester derby on as well. Hey, it would be the closest I get to going to a United game

Now your turn, and we'll discuss the aftermath too...

ReputationRep:
    Open House events on a Sunday? Does that involve uni owned accomodation as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Open House events on a Sunday? Does that involve uni owned accomodation as well?
    Yes, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    Open House is for people who want to check out what the accommodation is like in Manchester. It's not that it involves university accommodation, it's about university accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    I got an invitation, but i'm not going, too much work to do unfortuneately, plus the train is quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Open House is for people who want to check out what the accommodation is like in Manchester. It's not that it involves university accommodation, it's about university accommodation.
    Ah ok, I was a bit concerned because we usually have hall tours on Tuesday or Thurs (I volunteered to be one of those tour guides), and waking up early on a Sunday just seems too hard for me

ReputationRep:
    It turns out it does include hall tours, which I found out as a group of twenty or so strangers walk past my corridor every five minutes. It's a noisy corridor too, as the footsteps vibrate as you walk on the floorboard. And of course, the obligatory chattering between people.

Bloody hell, couldn't even go for a shower, as I need to go through there (its a narrow corridor) before I can.

But of course, they're taking tours past the bathroom/showers as well. Arrghhh

ReputationRep:
    It turns out it does include hall tours, which I found out as a group of twenty or so strangers walk past my corridor every five minutes. It's a noisy corridor too, as the footsteps vibrate as you walk on the floorboard. And of course, the obligatory chattering between people.

Bloody hell, couldn't even go for a shower, as I need to go through there (its a narrow corridor) before I can.

But of course, they're taking tours past the bathroom/showers as well. Arrghhh
    Hehe, Just got back.

Um, I liked Grovensor Place the best, Grovensor Street Building has an ugly green colour scheme to it, GP is just the type of room template I'd go for. Checked out Chandos and Ronson/Bowden, I didn't bother venturing to Fallowfield as I've decided it's a bit too far out of the way.

Grovensor Place pleaaaaaase!

ReputationRep:
    i was most impressed with Dalton-Ellis, especially the sutherland block.

Hulme Hall and Wooltan Hall were good too and u may be able to tell from my choices that im in serious need of catered accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azz)
    i was most impressed with Dalton-Ellis, especially the sutherland block.

Hulme Hall and Wooltan Hall were good too and u may be able to tell from my choices that im in serious need of catered accommodation!
    I'm staying at Dalton Ellis, you probably walked past my room in Nield Wing.

Oh, did you see the guys dancing some weird monkey dance in the Eaglesfield block, while playing to the "one banana, two banana song"? Hilarious.

Competition for Woolton Hall is seriously high; you'll only have a chance of getting in if you do a lot of sports, or or very good at one particular sport. Their community spirit is like no other though.

And Hulme hall requires you to attend regular formal dinners at their dining hall, a slight contrast to Dalton Ellis where you could wear probably anything before eating.

I'd just like to add that the pesky open house day completely messed up my day. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yay - Just posted my accomodation form!

After walking round endless residences yesterday I've decided:

1. Sheavyn House (luverly big t.v and pool table!)
    2. Richmond Park (luverly also)
    3. Woolton Hall (nice big rooms)

I really wanted to go self catered but prefered Woolton Hall to Oak House (I decided I want to stay in Fallowfield). I also thought by putting it down I may have a better chance of gettin one of my preferences (as I've heard that SC + en suite = v.popular!) but have just read on here that its god damn competitiive - arrghh!!

Really didn't like Owens Park or Oak House and tis a shame Ashburne is female only (its reeallly pretty!)

Do any of you current manchester students think i have a chance of getting one of my preferences - or are these all really oversubscribed?

One student told me she got none of her 3 preferences - am now really worried!!

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I didn't even look at Fallowfield... seems a bit too far out of the way and I can't afford them anyhoo. Good job I liked the look of Grovensor Place isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    When do I go about sending my accom form off guys? Do I have to wait until I've made my firm/insurance choices? Or can I send it off now? What is the process from now till when we get there? Info would be appreciated... Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prada_princess)

I really wanted to go self catered but prefered Woolton Hall to Oak House (I decided I want to stay in Fallowfield). I also thought by putting it down I may have a better chance of gettin one of my preferences (as I've heard that SC + en suite = v.popular!) but have just read on here that its god damn competitiive - arrghh!!

Really didn't like Owens Park or Oak House and tis a shame Ashburne is female only (its reeallly pretty!)

Do any of you current manchester students think i have a chance of getting one of my preferences - or are these all really oversubscribed?

What didn't you like about oak house? I'm thinking of choosing it as it's nice and cheap. Any advice? I'm going to look at the accommodation on the Law open day on wednesday so maybe that'll enlighten me!

(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    What didn't you like about oak house? I'm thinking of choosing it as it's nice and cheap. Any advice? I'm going to look at the accommodation on the Law open day on wednesday so maybe that'll enlighten me!
    Oak House will probably be one of my 3 because it is in Fallowfield (the best place for students IMHO) and the rooms are decent. I also like the fact that it is supposed to be the most lively halls because of the amount of people there. I'm told that the only downside to this is the trouble you might have with the noise at night if your a light sleeper!!!

ReputationRep:

Hiya,
    Im a richmond park boy and it was my second choice to Sheavyn house - It's really really good and I wouldn't change it for the world.

You stand a good chance of getting one of your choices so I wouldnt worry.

ReputationRep:
    I just thought the rooms at Oak House were dingy compared to some of the others I looked at. And they weren't particularly nice to look at from the outside either. But hey, I am ridiculously fussy so you'd probably find its fine - it is supposed to be v.popular. A girl on the open day for my course lives their and she said it wasn't one of her 3 preferences (on the app form) as she never really took to the place on the open day but now that she's there she wudn;t be anywhere else.

Petrozzi - what I have done (and what I presume to be correct) is sent my Ucas reply slip off with Manchester as both my firm and insurance (applied for 2 courses) and then sent off 2 accommodation app forms for each course. Oh God - I hope this is right, I just presume that cos they sent me 2 accommodation handbooks and applications this is what i was to do, cos it asks for your course name and then lets you choose conditional firm, conditional insurance etc- ah well cant do any harm!

I'm pretty sure you only apply for accommodation if Manchester is (or will v. soon be) either your firm or insurance (or both!)

Daveo, when did you send your accommodation form off last year. Was it around this time or before?

ReputationRep:
    I just thought the rooms at Oak House were dingy compared to some of the others I looked at. And they weren't particularly nice to look at from the outside either. But hey, I am ridiculously fussy so you'd probably find its fine - it is supposed to be v.popular. A girl on the open day for my course lives their and she said it wasn't one of her 3 preferences (on the app form) as she never really took to the place on the open day but now that she's there she wudn;t be anywhere else.

Petrozzi - what I have done (and what I presume to be correct) is sent my Ucas reply slip off with Manchester as both my firm and insurance (applied for 2 courses) and then sent off 2 accommodation app forms for each course. Oh God - I hope this is right, I just presume that cos they sent me 2 accommodation handbooks and applications this is what i was to do, cos it asks for your course name and then lets you choose conditional firm, conditional insurance etc- ah well cant do any harm!

I'm pretty sure you only apply for accommodation if Manchester is (or will v. soon be) either your firm or insurance (or both!)

Daveo, when did you send your accommodation form off last year. Was it around this time or before?
    My form was sent about 3 weeks after the open house day.

ReputationRep:

Cheers... What I'm asking though, is have you accepted Manchester yet as Firm/Insurance and had your response from them asking you to choose accom? Or have you picked up one of the accom books at Open House and sent off the form anyway? (meaning you've not chosen your final Firm/Insurance yet?)

As for rooms, I'm going to apply to two in Grovensor Group and probably another one near the centre? You fancy selling Fallowfield to me Matt? Considering it's goddamn miles away and I'm not a morning person, especially when buses are involved and I'm still staggering from the night before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    My form was sent about 3 weeks after the open house day.
    Daveo, just to keep you in the loop... I've not been able to get in touch with the lad I know at Richmond at the mo as he's not been on the net. Have you got any further info about your problem or?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.