Do you enjoy Biology A Level? Watch

amyyalice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, do you enjoy Biology A Level? What sort of things do you learn about? Is it difficult? What kind of careers does it relate to? I'm taking Biology A level next year, so I'm wondering what other people think about it!
lollage123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I hate it. Its just learning strings of information from the textbook. I'm on OCR and some of the human biology is alright, but a lot of the content is dull and uninteresting, in my opinion.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love it myself, my favourite A level.

Only unit I hate is unit 4. Seriously, drop dead boring.
Would strongly recommend doing it.
Gkt1378312870
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love biology. Very interesting. Some concepts are pretty detailed and hard to get your head around though.

Human biology is awesome, ecology is dire, but unfortunately you have to do it. :P
Toomanyoptions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA enjoy, hahahahaahaa. No i seriously hate it with a passion.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Toomanyoptions)
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA enjoy, hahahahaahaa. No i seriously hate it with a passion.
Same with me and chemistry.
username714290
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's ok, way too much information to remember though

Stupid OCR.
Selym95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really enjoy Edexcel biology and have found every topic interesting (even ecology). I personally find it the most interesting of all of my subjects. Beware, the coursework is a bit of a nightmare, especially if you have a teacher that isn't up to scratch.
Harriet : )
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your board is OCR be prepared to love biology as a subject but not as an A-level. The human biology aspect is so interesting but some of the other stuff is dire. I personally find the exam technique difficult as mark schemes are highly specific, but this is a skill you can build on
funkscam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's okay but so many convoluted processes you literally just have to memorise lul
A lot of the time you find yourself asking, but why does this happen- and you kind of just have to accept the information..
However I doubt I'm best suited to biology so, haha
username854791
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoy it... but it can get tedious sometimes with lots of learning and less application in some topics. Also in some topics. it's too broad and you can never be sure what they are asking you. like ecosystem.
roflcakes1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do like it, but unfortunately a lot of it is just rope learning information from the textbook, which means that the lessons are rarely enjoyable. Also, I don't know if this is just my school, but there are quite a lot of people who take biology who don't seem to enjoy it. This makes me hate the lessons because I'm pretty much the only one who is bothered about learning it. I don't know how applicable this is to you.

Some of the concepts are hard to get your head around - I often find that I won't fully understand it in the lesson, and will need to look at the textbook/class powerpoint again in my own time, but it's definitely not impossible.
jonchoongqx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A-level Biology is really awesome. The way exams are designed allows you to apply your biological knowledge, and not just all about memorizing.

Unit 4 of A-level biology lets you understand how your body responds to viruses, how viruses attack your body, etc, which I find really interesting.

Though, the chemistry-related parts are still a pain in the backside /:

Take up the subjects which you would enjoy studying. I'm taking Math, Chemistry, Biology and Accounting.
Applied to study Law.
dav22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some of the concepts are hard to get your head around - I often find that I won't fully understand it in the lesson, and will need to look at the textbook/class powerpoint again in my own time, but it's definitely not impossible.
This! I find most of the stuff we do interesting but often have to go over it again to make sure I fully understand it!
scott18044
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do Biology AS with OCR and I'm not really enjoying it this year. There are people who really enjoy it that I know, but personally I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Despite doing Biology and Chemistry though, I've come to realise that science isn't really my thing, and that I prefer doing my other, non-scientific subjects (languages).

Plenty of people I know who love science, love the course too though, so it might just be that the same level of interest isn't there for me.
ErHi?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amyyalice)
So, do you enjoy Biology A Level? What sort of things do you learn about? Is it difficult? What kind of careers does it relate to? I'm taking Biology A level next year, so I'm wondering what other people think about it!
I absolutely loathe it.

I hate the idea of ISAs/Controlled practical assessments and there is so much content to learn!

Unit 2 on OCR has some BioChemistry which is the bane of my life...

If you just "like" Biology at GCSE, I'd say don't take take. If you LOVE it, then take it. I think that was the mistake I made when choosing options.
BioGeek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's simply the best subject, but requires a lot of hard work and determination!
I'm on OCR.
TaraBelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol no. I love learning the human biology things, but the ecology and plant stuff is painful. That's just my preference though, and being on OCR doesn't help either..
TheNoobyPotato
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amyyalice)
I really dislike plant and ecology sections, and on Edexcel, there's forensics which I hated as well. I enjoy the biochemistry and human biology parts the most.

AS was easy for me, but A2 is much much harder and now on unit 5, i'm struggling. Also, coursework (AS and A2) is THE WORST. Be ready for a nightmare with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where'sPerry?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
YES! I just find the processes that drive all organisms so fascinating and I love learning about them. I have even enjoyed photosynthesis this year, which I wasn't expecting. Which exam board are you on? Some people here have said they have coursework, but I don't (I do AQA). I'm going to be studying marine biology at uni after my A-Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads