The Student Room Group

Do you enjoy Biology A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lollage123
Its just learning strings of information from the textbook.

Sounds like biology in general to be honest! :tongue: still, there are plenty of interesting topics that you learn at A-level imo. It does quite well in setting you up for degree level work which is a lot of independent learning from a textbook.
Reply 21
Absolutely not. The exams are horrific (if your on OCR anyway). I hope your good at suggesting.
NO, hate it with a passion. Biology is ridiculous at A Level especially AQA.
Reply 23
Populations and anything involving plants is boring, I only really enjoyed the Human Biology parts and the information about human cells and bacteria... Otherwise when ecosystems were mentioned I died.
Original post by lollage123
Well I hate it. Its just learning strings of information from the textbook. I'm on OCR and some of the human biology is alright, but a lot of the content is dull and uninteresting, in my opinion.

I do AQA for nearly all my subjects, including Bio, and AQA seem to think that every subject should be taught the same - you just memorise a **** load of info, don't go into too much detail about anything and practice exam technique. All of my subjects are the same, just with different information to learn. It's diabolical.
Reply 25
I really love it (hence applying to read it at university) I'm with WJEC and we cover cell biology, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, ecology and genetics so we do a little bit of everything in the course of 2 years. We have a piece of coursework each year which consists of a practical element and a microscope drawing :smile:

There is a lot of information to memorise but it's really enjoyable! :biggrin:
You guys are making it sound so bad, lol. It's not that tough, OP. The coursework is probably the easiest out of the three sciences too.
Reply 27
I do OCR AS biology at the moment and it's extremely interesting, human biology is the best part. However, it is very difficult and I find myself struggling a lot but if you love it then do it!
Reply 28
Thank you for all your kind comments. How much coursework would you have to do? Is it time consuming? And what kind of things do you learn about for each topic? I think I'm going to be with Edexcel or OCR!

Thanks again!
I do OCR biology and at times it can be a piss take (I say this even though I've applied to study biology at uni), but its only cause I have **** teachers so...the actual content is great and is extremely interesting, especially the physiology side of the syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
So boring and depressing. Kinda makes you wish you were doing a BTEC.
The coursework and the vague exam questions make it my most irritating subject. The content is quite interesting, with the exception of ecology, but I'm sure the exams can induce high blood pressure with their stupidity for lack of a better word. I do Edexcel btw.
Reply 32
You said that you were taking Maths as a A-level how is that? And how is Chemistry? Are they difficult or are they OK if you understand it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending