Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone's just got their results for the Editorial Writing section of English Lang. A level. The reason I ask is that I took it in Jan - found it very easy - and got a C (just!) The thing is noone in our class got an A and people who are meant to be the best in the class have been getting Ds. Our teachers putting them in for a re-mark as he think's there's been a problem with the marking. Anyone else in this situation? What's really worrying is what if a module's marked badly in the summer and there's no time to get it re-marked and you lose your place at uni based on the crap ALevel examiners? Surely it can't be that hard if they're all moderated properly. I know it's happened before where grades are deliberately lowered because people have done too well. Pisses me off...

ReputationRep:
    Are you with AQA? We had a similar thing too. I go to a big college, and we got one A, and handful of B's, and a lot of C's, D's, E's and U's. Apparantly this happens quite a lot. It's a bit confusing, although I got 71 (one mark off an A) so I'm fairly happy (resitting it though). Was your school's ENB2 (language and social contexts) ridiculously high? We got LOADS of A's for that one. Which question did you do? Most people I know did the kids tabloid style educational book - teachers reckon that because its such a contrived question lots of people got that all important 'voice' wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wa)
    Are you with AQA? We had a similar thing too. I go to a big college, and we got one A, and handful of B's, and a lot of C's, D's, E's and U's. Apparantly this happens quite a lot. It's a bit confusing, although I got 71 (one mark off an A) so I'm fairly happy (resitting it though). Was your school's ENB2 (language and social contexts) ridiculously high? We got LOADS of A's for that one. Which question did you do? Most people I know did the kids tabloid style educational book - teachers reckon that because its such a contrived question lots of people got that all important 'voice' wrong.
    Yeh, language and social contexts did seem to be high but I got 102/105 when I did it in summer so I didn't re-sit. I didn't do that question because it seemed too complicated - ???tabloid and kids book??? I did the one about crime and thought I did pretty well. However, there was an ambiguity in the question. It asked for 'an introduction to the new issue of the magazine..." or something like that. That could be seen as the introduction of the issue itself - the first article in the issue explaining what is to come - or an article in the previous issue, explaining what the next issue is about. I didn't feel like I could have lost 36 marks on it!!! Damn english!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit rubbish when they have questions like that. Remember a couple of years ago when there was that unanswerable question in a maths A level paper?

I was pleased at getting a B but to be honest I thought I did better than I got too. I know people at other schools who got much better grades, so perhaps we both go to terrible colleges or maybe something went wrong. Apparantly on the list of grades that our teachers got, a lot of consecutive people alphabetically down the list got exactly the same mark - it could have been coincidence, or something's gone wrong with the system. I'm resitting anyway - although our college charges £10 for each resit cos apparantly too many people were doing it. But I really want an A for English (I'm up to 354 marks so need 126 marks from coursework and final exam for an A) and having some extra marks from what I think is one of the easiest exams would certainly help.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.