Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how many of you are doing this? I'm taking my A2s in English Literature and Film Studies, whilst independently taking Psychology AS + A2 in a year.

How is anyone else finding it? And have you already taken your AS exams or will you be taking everything in the Summer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking both English Language (Edexcel) and English Literature (AQA) in one year. That's 3 hours a week for 30 weeks for the 6 modules per subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I'm taking both English Language (Edexcel) and English Literature (AQA) in one year. That's 3 hours a week for 30 weeks for the 6 modules per subject.
    that sounds like fun

i love your avatar, woo dancing penguins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    that sounds like fun

i love your avatar, woo dancing penguins
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it with physics. Though rather regretting it. Doesn't seem any more difficult than doing the AS first, I suppose. And I did it with maths last year, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I did Art and Design A-level in one year.

ReputationRep:
    i am doing A level psychology in a year (a2 and as side by side)..im finding it ok...haven't done any modules yet- i am doing them all in the summer

i do it in an evening...tuesday evening is as and thurday evening is a2...i think it is harder as we do not have as much contact time per week as other people taking it during the day..
    It is good though- i am going to take it at uni- i have an unconditional offer from birmginham...

ReputationRep:
    I may be doing Further Maths in 1 year, although will do some over summer probably. (unless I just do AS)

ReputationRep:
    Way I'm doing it with just a 3 hour session per week means basically I get 90 hours teaching time for all the AS/A2 content.

When at 6th form it would be more like 6 hours a week for 2 years, so lots of independent study is required if you want a decent grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    I was just wondering how many of you are doing this? I'm taking my A2s in English Literature and Film Studies, whilst independently taking Psychology AS + A2 in a year.

How is anyone else finding it? And have you already taken your AS exams or will you be taking everything in the Summer?
    i'm doing all of a level physics this year. I've just completed the AS part in January and now need a low C in A2 to get an overall A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i am doing A level psychology in a year (a2 and as side by side)..im finding it ok...haven't done any modules yet- i am doing them all in the summer

i do it in an evening...tuesday evening is as and thurday evening is a2...i think it is harder as we do not have as much contact time per week as other people taking it during the day..
    It is good though- i am going to take it at uni- i have an unconditional offer from birmginham...
    I know someone doing psy A level in a year. THey got 100% for the AS modules in jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I know someone doing psy A level in a year. THey got 100% for the AS modules in jan.
    all 3 of them? I'm doing physics in a year and i got 100% for 2 of the modules in January.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing OCR Psychology in a year...Ive done one A2 module in Jan and also the coursework module. So that just leaves one A2 module and the three AS in the summer...which is really good! I also do it at night school - A2 monday nights 7-9.30 and AS Tuesday nights at the same time. You may find that if you do it at an adult education class (e.g. night school) then you may only have one or two people in the class (certainly smaller than at a school)which is almost like private tuition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)

Someone I know is doing psychology AS and A2 in a year as well, there's apparently a reason for this but I'm not sure what it is. Don't really know how she's finding it as she's in year 13 and I don't know her that well.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who did A level history in a year last year, got an A in the end.

There is a slight problem though. If you fail AS (however unlikely) but pass A2 (even more unlikely) you don't get the A2 grade. A bit nasty, you would say?

ReputationRep:
    i sat As and A2 psychology in a year and got a C. thinking back now, i should never have done it because if id had 2 years i could have got higher.

you really have to put in the effort.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing an A Level in a year to make up for failing maths, this would get me to get into Birmingham Uni. Has anyone here done such a thing and has anyone got any ideas on a subject to do. I can do most things other than generalstudies as my sixth form does not offer it.
    Any help would be gratefully recieved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterash)
    I am considering doing an A Level in a year to make up for failing maths, this would get me to get into Birmingham Uni. Has anyone here done such a thing and has anyone got any ideas on a subject to do. I can do most things other than generalstudies as my sixth form does not offer it.
    Any help would be gratefully recieved
    I started my AS French in Lower sixth, and I was good at it, so my teacher recommended that I take the A2 units (just for fun, I thought). It turned out that I did really well in all of them, do effectively I did the French A-Levle in one year. If you're good at languages you might want to try it, as there's very little revision to do.

ReputationRep:
    i did A level (AS + A2) Economics from scratch in a year
    got an A yesterday, so its definately possible

ReputationRep:
    I did Spanish A2 in a year, after doing the GCSE in L6. Honestly didn't find it that bad, but it help sif you have a real passion for the subject, and if it's a language you can manage a trip abroad! Did all the AS modules in Jan 2004, and got 291/300 to my amazement! Then did the three A2 modules this June and ended up with 571/600 overall. I really reccommend it, especially if it's a language, cos in some ways I thin it's easier learning vocab/grammar really intensively......

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.