Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi im doing psychology coursework and my hypothesis is 1 tailed. however ive done the statistical test - chi squared and my value is 75.3 but only appears on the 2 tailed chart. im confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hi im doing psychology coursework and my hypothesis is 1 tailed. however ive done the statistical test - chi squared and my value is 75.3 but only appears on the 2 tailed chart. im confused :confused:
    Nope, we are all stupid psychologists. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i'm highly clever lol! This result means that your value is highly significant - more so than p>0.001, as it goes off the end of the scale. This sort of result means that your hypothesis can be retained.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    i'm highly clever lol! This result means that your value is highly significant - more so than p>0.001, as it goes off the end of the scale. This sort of result means that your hypothesis can be retained.

Hope that helps
    yea it does thanks erm so can i completely reject the null hypothesis. also my hypothesis is one tailed but the chart says it must be two tailed with df2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    yea it does thanks erm so can i completely reject the null hypothesis. also my hypothesis is one tailed but the chart says it must be two tailed with df2.
    you should be able to have 2df and still have a one tailed hyp., and yes your null hypothesis can be rejected now.

ReputationRep:
    you should be able to have 2df and still have a one tailed hyp., and yes your null hypothesis can be rejected now.
    k again cheers for ya help the mark scheme says something about a one tailed or two tailed test is this the same as the chi squared. soz about all the questions.
    is that all i need to do for the results the statistical test and a graph

ReputationRep:
    lol @ Robot Phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    k again cheers for ya help the mark scheme says something about a one tailed or two tailed test is this the same as the chi squared. soz about all the questions
    not sure what that would mean, but you can use the chi squared test on both 1 and 2 tailed hyp's... and don't worry, I like answering questions i know things about

ReputationRep:
    not sure what that would mean, but you can use the chi squared test on both 1 and 2 tailed hyp's... and don't worry, I like answering questions i know things about
    so overall id just say that the chance of the results being due to chance is 0.1% so the null hypothesis will be rejected. shud i state the results are highly significant.
    lol cant u tell ive not a clue :rolleyes:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.