The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy City University

Hi!

Just wanted to start this thread for all who's going to City in Sep to have a place to ask each other questions, offer advise, and to get to know each other a little..

I know it's such early days but I've literally been on a high since I've got the email.. I'm moving up from South Wales so as well as being excited, I'm suitably terrified!!

Whoever, if any, see this thread and posts, I look forward to meeting you in the future :smile:

Caitlin! xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya,

I'm going to City in September and intend on doing the Masters so will be there for 2.5 years or so! I have so many questions! My last course was really high pressure so I want to know what our weeks will look like, will we have holidays etc.? I think I'll be commuting from Cambridge since I absolutely cannot afford to live in London! Hope that won't be too much hassle... :s-smilie:

Katie
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello fellow City applicants :smile:.

I've heard from someone who is already on the course that it is 9-5, 3 days a week, plus one placement day and one 'study day' - which I'm guessing is a day off timetable where we can complete assignments. I'd imagine the holidays will correspond with the normal university term but will check. I've heard that people do manage to work part-time jobs so it sounds like we have at least some free time. Is anyone going to the upcoming open evening on 19th Feb?

Zoe
Reply 3
Can't make it to the open evening as I'm at work in Manchester :frown: If they say anything important it could be posted on here for anyone else starting SLT in September?
Reply 4
Hey!

I think there'll be a open day for all those who have been made an offer.. Like a post-offer open day.. I can't make the open day on the 19th, too short notice for me to get off work.. I went to the open day that was in November and I loved it! Loved the campus, loved the area and all the staff were really friendly.. Think it has one of the best reputations for SLTs so 'go us'!! Haha..

I'm looking into moving into Halls.. I know it's crazy expensive but I'm a bit worried about moving into a house, rather know I'll be living with other students and it'll be close to the uni so I don't get myself lost! Haha.. It's all early days atm, I don't really know much.. Just what it says online..

What sort of degree did guys you?

Xx
Reply 5
I don't know whether any of you have seen this on another SLT thread, buti noticed this comment about timetable and placements.. Kinda what we can expect.. Thought it was really helpful :smile:

": I think they say placements can be up to 1.5 hours away from your home address, mine have all been about 20 mins-1 hour travelling from home. On the first year you have one day a week jan-april then full time block through june. Second year your weekly placement is autumn and spring terms and then block is longer too. You can claim back the difference in travel expense between what it takes you to get there vs what it takes you to get to Uni.

At city we are off for August and September between the two years. There is a month at Christmas and Easter also (although you have exams after Easter and coursework over Christmas).

You can practise immediately after the course but as a newly qualified practitioner then you get your competencies signed off after 12-18 months to become a full member of the RCSLT"
Hiya, I'm also going to City! Moving to London from Southampton!! :smile: xx
Reply 7
Hey! Welcome to the thread!! :smile: You have any thoughts on where you're going to live? I was thinking halls but its gone up loads this year :/ Thinking of house sharing now, dont know whether you'd be interested in that? Think it's a heap cheaper.. I'm so excited to move down there!!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Heehee, that's me you've quoted! I'm a second year at city so happy to help if you have any questions :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Oh really?? haha.. Hope you don't mind :P It was the most helpful thing I'd read about timetables and placements.. Wanted to share.. :smile:

You on the post grad course yeah?
Reply 10
Ooo, wanted to ask also, when was your post-offer open day? When can we expect to hear back about it and the NHS bursary stuff as well?

This is me being my impatient self! hehe.. Want to have all the information at once! xx
Reply 11
Original post by CaitlinGall
Oh really?? haha.. Hope you don't mind :P It was the most helpful thing I'd read about timetables and placements.. Wanted to share.. :smile:

You on the post grad course yeah?

Yup, second year post grad on my way home from placement as we speak! 6 months to go...

Don't get too excited. The bursary people are slow and extremely disorganised. I'm not sure I had an offer day as when I applied they still interviewed. I think it might be April?? But don't quote me on that. I'm working at the day on 19th feb though!

I think I started receiving stuff from city in April/may... Reading lists and bursary info etc.

:smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Flicker
Yup, second year post grad on my way home from placement as we speak! 6 months to go...

Don't get too excited. The bursary people are slow and extremely disorganised. I'm not sure I had an offer day as when I applied they still interviewed. I think it might be April?? But don't quote me on that. I'm working at the day on 19th feb though!

I think I started receiving stuff from city in April/may... Reading lists and bursary info etc.

:smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I need to calm myself down! :P haha.. I heard the NHS are pretty slow! I wish I were coming down on the 19th! Bit short notice with work! Will be coming down sometime in April though..

Do you have any advise on when to start looking for accommodation? And what area will be the best to look in? :smile:

Thanks again for the advise!!

Xx
Reply 13
Hello all!

Will look forward to meeting you in September. I have just sent in my confirmation email and am very excited. Also going to be moving down from Scotland so am a little terrified as well! Thank you for starting the thread Caitlin, it's nice to be able to share questions and get to know each other a little beforehand. :smile:

Stacey
Reply 14
Hi everyone!

I'm also starting the course at City this September! I am moving down from Newcastle and really excited to go to uni in London and get started on the course! I agree with the above post, thanks to Caitlin too for starting this thread! Its great to be able to share thoughts and info as we look forward to getting started :smile: what sort of backgrounds does everyone have? My undergrad BSc was in Psychology!

Anna xx
Reply 15
Hello everyone :smile:

I'm completely new to these forums, but will be joining you all on the course in September! I'm moving down to big, scary London from Lancashire and I'm petrified/excited!

Really looking forward to meeting you all :smile:
I did my first degree in London so I'll be used to the scary city if anyone needs any help either with which areas to avoid when flat hunting or any other questions etc. :smile:
Reply 17
Welcome to the thread new peeps :smile: hehe.. Looking forward to meeting you all!! :smile:

Knowing what areas not to look in will be a big help!! That's my biggest worry at the moment is where I'll be living!! Lol.. Plenty of time though!! The offer of house sharing is here to anyone who wants to like.. (I'm nothing like people on 'the valleys'! Haha.. Just have the accent!)

My degree was in Medical Science so studied a bit of everything really.. Graduated last July and have taken a chill out year, working when I can and getting as much experience as I could have.. May sound weird but I've missed having work to do! Haha..

Xx
Reply 18
Original post by CaitlinGall
I know, I need to calm myself down! :P haha.. I heard the NHS are pretty slow! I wish I were coming down on the 19th! Bit short notice with work! Will be coming down sometime in April though..

Do you have any advise on when to start looking for accommodation? And what area will be the best to look in? :smile:

Thanks again for the advise!!

Xx

Well rented properties go quickly and for not far ahead, maybe 6 week before you want to move in? Lots of people live in hackney, shoreditch, Camden, or finsbury park areas. I'm a south London fan-I live near London bridge. It takes me 15 mins to cycle to Uni.

I'd recommend Brixton for being accessible and better value and having things to do. But anywhere on the northern line is good for getting to Uni.

The Uni usually set up a Facebook group and then you can get in touch with others about house sharing, quite a few people moving to London seemed to do that then look together :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Flicker
Well rented properties go quickly and for not far ahead, maybe 6 week before you want to move in? Lots of people live in hackney, shoreditch, Camden, or finsbury park areas. I'm a south London fan-I live near London bridge. It takes me 15 mins to cycle to Uni.

I'd recommend Brixton for being accessible and better value and having things to do. But anywhere on the northern line is good for getting to Uni.

The Uni usually set up a Facebook group and then you can get in touch with others about house sharing, quite a few people moving to London seemed to do that then look together :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amaze advise! Glad you're on here! Hehe..

As late as 6 weeks to look for house! That's mad! Haha.. Any absolute no no's as to where to live? Lol

Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending