The Student Room Group

Placement year

Hi, I was just wondering what peoples experiences are on the competitiveness of getting onto a placement for sandwich courses. Also, does your first year grade really affect the chances of getting a placement and can people with a 2.2 still get one in their third year. Im studying mechanical engineering, first year if that makes any difference. Thanks.
It depends a lot on which university you're studying at - your best bet is to try to contact students on your specific course either through TSR, through your student reps if you're a current student or if you're still applying then ask the admissions staff to put you in touch with a couple of final year students so that you can talk to them about their placements.
Reply 2
2:2 jobs certainly exist, but the majority do seem to want 2:1 or better. Check with local businesses and don't feel as if you have to work for just the major companies. My friend didn't quite get the grades, but the company liked him and so he works part time whilst studying because they want him to improve his grades before taking him on for work full-time. So yeah, if you find the right people, they'll make it work!

I would imagine they look at the first year results. It would be the only complete picture at the time. Some applications end before January, so they couldn't expect to see any test results before then. I have seen some jobs where they ask for module results. I think they would generally base it on the first year though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending