The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest I think it's very narrow-minded to say that some degrees are 'harder' than others. All degrees are difficult, and a lot of it is your perspective; the arts are not my strong point so I'd find, say history, far harder than chemistry, whilst for others the opposite may hold true.

Every degree has it's merits and each is difficult in it's own way!
Seriously dislike it when people dismiss humanities degrees as easy. If you think that you can do my culture commentaries and advanced grammar tests :hmmm:

I'm doing Management with a healthy dose of economics, and two languages. Guess which of my three subjects I'm finding easiest. Also, what is "hard" depends on every person. If you're **** at maths, guess what, maths will be hardest. If you're **** at French, French will be hardest. If you're **** at art or music... etc.

How do you even define the hardest degree? Hardest to get into/most competitive? The one with the most work load? The hardest to get a first in? The one with the hardest concepts, or the one where you have to memorise huge chunks of knowledge by rote?
Original post by Tuerin
Don't underestimate the difficulty of arts degrees. Just because they don't involve maths doesn't mean they can't also be very challenging. It must be pretty hard to constantly be providing lengthy and novel interpretations of texts which have been critiqued for centuries by others far better than oneself

You say this but most people at my uni doing BSc's have to work helluva lot harder than people doing BA's.
I think that Law or History could be seen as conceptionally hard, particularly if neither was studied at GCSE or A Level.
Science degrees are hard but relatively logical, so after a while easier to understand. If you want to talk of degrees which are conceptual hard Philosophy should be number one of course it is dependent on what steam of Philosophy you choose to pursue, nonetheless, majority of it is quite intellectually hard to comprehend at a higher level.

Just my thoughts!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by youbonkers
You say this but most people at my uni doing BSc's have to work helluva lot harder than people doing BA's.

How can you know this? What is your 'sample size' if you are just observing people? Perhaps through some freak coincidence the people doing BA's happen to be just lazier than the people doing BSc's - is your uni more reputed for science than the arts? It's possible the calibre of arts students they admit is much lower than the calibre of science students because of this. Besides, the thread is about what degrees are hardest, not what group of students work hardest. There is a difference
Original post by youbonkers

Really? My godfather did Chemistry at Cambridge and he talks about how insanely hard English lit students had to work.
Degree in pulling chicks
Medicine and Dentistry have high entry requirements due to the fact that people are after the money involved, so there's obviously going to be a lot of competition. Also, students are only required to cope with a big, but not necessarily challenging (in terms of content) workloads.

In reality, the hardest degree courses include maths, physics, chemistry, etc.
Reply 69
I'd probably go for chemistry, physics or astrophysics as being on another level of difficulty to anything else.
Philosophy can get upsettingly difficult. Truly despicably difficult. Anyone who tells you they truly understand any of Hegel's metaphysics and ethereal stuff is lying.

Also, if philosophical logic is your thing:

psystems2a.jpgchp_kingproof.jpg
How hard would you guys say a Law degree is? based on actual experience or being told please!
Reply 72
Original post by gooner4ever
How hard would you guys say a Law degree is? based on actual experience or being told please!

My mother did a law degree. She said it was a lot of work. Remembering cases, names and dates etc and also writing essays on them.
Original post by Kinkerz
How old are you?

That is just MY opinion, obviously. But from my experience.... its what ive seen.
Reply 74
How about defining the hardest degree as the one in which the smallest proportion of the population would be capable (even if they worked really, really hard for three years) of getting a 2.2 in.
Reply 75
Original post by mucgoo
How about defining the hardest degree as the one in which the smallest proportion of the population would be capable (even if they worked really, really hard for three years) of getting a 2.2 in.

I like that.
Reply 76
Original post by bekkrainbow
That is just MY opinion, obviously. But from my experience.... its what ive seen.

I find myself surprised by your age.
Reply 77
Original post by Kinkerz
I find myself surprised by your age.

That would be because your a medic.
In terms of reputation for being difficult, then Medicine, Mathematics, Physics (in no particular order).

However one can never know, and difficulty is a matter of opinion I suppose.
Original post by gooner4ever

Very hard. The concepts are often very complicated, then you need to learn all the different cases to back it up. Often they conflict and there's no real answer, also. Oh and academics always have SOMETHING to say on any given law, so you need to know that too. It's do-able, but difficult! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending