Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i cant get my head round it. surely german ppl cud see that killing jews was wrong and some1 cud have stopped him :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Because Germany was in an awful rut and Hitler gave them a scapegoat.

ADD: Not forgetting that as soon as he got powerful no one would openly question him for fear of death or something...

ReputationRep:
    there were resistance there were loads, but they were all in vain. Hitler was too powerful for any resistance to develop

ReputationRep:
    also all germans wanted a scapegoat for losing WW1, and they believed it was the jews. Also, even if they didn't agree, if they spoke out, they would have been killed as well, so u can see their dilema (sp?)

ReputationRep:
    Hitler's support was not related to his anti-Semitism. In fact, for the most part he tried to hide it from the German people.

His support was based on an appeal to nationalistic and social prejudices at a time of economic hardship.

ReputationRep:
    i cant see why he would want to kill loads of jews though even if he hated them

ReputationRep:
    Also, the nazis were absolute geniuses when it came to propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    He didn't just hate them, he thought they were sub human and the cause of all problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    Then you don't understand how much he hated them.

ReputationRep:
    It was what Hitler offered the Germans - strong leadership, stability, economic recovery - that won him their support, not anti-semitism.

When Hitler ordered a boycott of Jewish shops shortly after he came to power, it was not successful and did not have popular support.

The Germans did want a scapegoat and the Jews living in Germany did want a scapegoat. The German public was subjected to anti-semitic propaganda for years before Hitler took any serious action, and by the time he did, the Germans were fighting a war.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler had a load of tools at his disposal to become that powerful. At first glance, (unless you already knew he was Anti-semitic) Hitler was a commanding figure, a war hero - people took to him straight away. He was also an impressive speaker - his speeches were so powerful, so passion-filled, it convinced people that what he said was indeed correct.

As mentioned earlier, the Germans wanted a scapegoat for WW1, hence he gave them an excuse

ReputationRep:
    i heard that he always used to fill up his speech days with as many people as possible. he built up huge crowds to create a carnival like atmosphere; but this meant that not everyone could hear what he was saying because the crowds were so huge.. so when everyone at the front started clapping in response to a charismatic speech, everyone else who couldnt quite hear would just start clapping as well.. kind of like - "what did he say?"
    "i dont know, but everyone is clapping and cheering so it must have been good"
    "oh right (clap clap clap)"

this may sound like quite a crude explanation, but i can see where this explanation is coming from, since all the pics ive seen ofhis speeches have huge crowds in the background..

ReputationRep:
    at the time hitler came to power, Germany was suffering serious economic depression due to the reprisals and limitations imposed by the treaty of versailles (sp?). the germans had just lost a war, and the political party in charge had been forced to surrender, something that most of the population did not approve of (they felt it was ignoble etc.) and so that party was unpopular. what the nazis offered was a rebuilding of the economy- the army was built up, weapon production increased etc. which created jobs and helped to stem inflation.

national pride was also an issue (see above), hitler's description of the germans as "the master race" were what most people wanted to hear, as it helped them regain a sense of self worth.

both of the above were reasons for latent anti-semitism. there was a lot of unemployment, and people resented the jews whom (gm?) they felt were stealing their jobs. hitler worked on this, and by praising the germans and condemning the jews as an inferior race, built up a strong hatred of the jews.

final point- at that time, the christian religion was still pretty deep rooted amongst the people, jews have often been said to have killed jesus, and this may have caused anti-semitic attitudes.

if any one has read this post without correcting my spelling, construction or grammar I will be very happy

ReputationRep:
    german people were very impatient in the period 1922-1929 everything was quite alright in Germany a republic called the Weimar Republic had come in and led on the policies of a man called Gustav Streesman. But because of the system the German Reichstag (parliament) used called PR or Proportional representation, no single party could gain a majority in the Reichstag which led to frequent Co-alitions and Single Status Parties these Co-alitions often broke down so a vote of No confidence was passed on the Chancellor which led to frequent chnages of Chancellor. Extreme Groups such as the Spartacus League and the nazi Part led revolutions but these failed to attract much support during the 1922-1929. In the mid 1920's the Government secured a deal with the Americans called the Daus and Young Plan where the American would lend germany a series of loans so it could rebuild the Country, but in 1929 the Wall Street happened and American withdrew the loans and Germany was plunged back into chaos as it had at the start of the decade with hyperinflation, as so people started getting desperate and Hitler promised to lower Unemplyment in 5 years from 6 million to about 1 million (something that he did do) he also Promised ot reverse the Treaty of Versialle and to put Germany back to its former glory( Sounds very good if you were in the psoitions the Germans were in) When Hitler was voted in he abolised the President by exploiting a loop-hole in the German Constitution and banned all the otehr political Parties and used Groups such as the SA to keep the country in order and the rest is history.

ReputationRep:
    apparently someone i cant remember who has said that the holocaust never really happened and it was all made up as anti german propaganda which is a load of crap in my opinon and can i just say hitler didnt only kill jews he killed
    homosexuals
    gypsys
    disabled people
    and any other group he saw as sub human he wanted a perfect aryan (sp) race of people who were tall with blond hair and blue eyes which is ironic considering his build and colouring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    i cant get my head round it. surely german ppl cud see that killing jews was wrong and some1 cud have stopped him :confused:
    Hitler didnt just target Jews. The Nazi party killed everyone that was of none arayan blood. Also in Germany at the time there were economic problems and many people were living in extreme poverty, therefore they believed in many of the Nazi policies as they gave them some escapism. Its a bit like the support for the BNP in many impoverished areas of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    apparently someone i cant remember who has said that the holocaust never really happened and it was all made up as anti german propaganda which is a load of crap in my opinon and can i just say hitler didnt only kill jews he killed
    homosexuals
    gypsys
    disabled people
    and any other group he saw as sub human he wanted a perfect aryan (sp) race of people who were tall with blond hair and blue eyes which is ironic considering his build and colouring
    very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    there were resistance there were loads, but they were all in vain. Hitler was too powerful for any resistance to develop
    On the topic of there being much resistance - that's actually quite debatable now. My argument on a simmilar thread:

"The view has changed that the mass of Germans were unaware of what was happening, Daniel Goldhagen (Proffessor at Harvard) has challenged the view - by saying ordinary Germans were willing executioners, - the sources he studied found ordinary Germans (not nazi party members willingly participated and to some extent even revelled in the brutality and mass murder. But then again there are alternative views, judging that propganda wasn't overly successful most historians accept that anti-jweish atrocities were widespread - it being a secret that could not be kept = but for some different and complex reasons the Germans did not act to stop the horror...."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    homosexuals
    gypsys
    disabled people
    Mel Gibson doesn't believe the holocaust happened, he believes people just "left", Where on earth did the 6 million people go with out anyone noticing? Dumbest opinion i have ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Mel Gibson doesn't believe the holocaust happened, he believes people just "left", Where on earth did the 6 million people go with out anyone noticing? Dumbest opinion i have ever heard
    Its because his dad brainwashed him

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.