This discussion is closed.
Tiger
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
While all you lucky people are heading off to uni this September, I'll be *groan* writing another personal statement. Unfortunately, I didn't get into the places I wanted to get into - according to the admissions tutors because my personal statement just 'wasn't as strong' as some others. I'll be setting my sights slightly lower this time as a result, but I still want a killer application to make sure I've done everything I can to get onto the best course I can.
Does anyone have any advice on extra things I could do as part of my year off that would impress an admissions tutor? (Obviously I'll be doing a hellava lot more reading!)...
Thanks,
Jo
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
While all you lucky people are heading off to uni this September, I'll be *groan* writing another personal statement. Unfortunately, I didn't get into the places I wanted to get into - according to the admissions tutors because my personal statement just 'wasn't as strong' as some others. I'll be setting my sights slightly lower this time as a result, but I still want a killer application to make sure I've done everything I can to get onto the best course I can.
Does anyone have any advice on extra things I could do as part of my year off that would impress an admissions tutor? (Obviously I'll be doing a hellava lot more reading!)...
Thanks,
Jo
What did you put in your PS last time?
Tiger
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What did you put in your PS last time?
Novels, poems and criticism I'd read, and how I had approached thinking about the material.
Work experience on large city newspaper.
Voluntary work with various organisations, including teaching reading at a local primary school.
Public speaking and debating.
Music: high grades on three instruments.
Duke of Edinburgh and Millenium Volunteers awards.
Etc., basically just expanding on the above.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
Novels, poems and criticism I'd read, and how I had approached thinking about the material.
Work experience on large city newspaper.
Voluntary work with various organisations, including teaching reading at a local primary school.
Public speaking and debating.
Music: high grades on three instruments.
Duke of Edinburgh and Millenium Volunteers awards.
Etc., basically just expanding on the above.
Crap, if you didnt get in with that then Im screwed! Where did you apply?
Tiger
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Crap, if you didnt get in with that then Im screwed! Where did you apply?
Maybe I just didn't write it all up very well! I think I may have wasted too many words on extra-curricular stuff, though my English tutor seemed to think it was good.

You just have to remember that there are hundreds of applicants with pretty much the same grades, outside interests and good refs, and if you're dead set on going to uni straight from school, make sure you put a few choices in that will probably ask for lower grades. I wanted to have a shot at some of the unis with the best reputation for English, so I put down Oxford, Edinburgh, York, Durham, Notitngham and Cardiff. I don't regret it though - I've started visiting others now, a lot of which I'd love to go to, & can't wait to get started on my gap year!

You're not screwed!

Where are you from in Buckinghamshire, btw?
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
Maybe I just didn't write it all up very well! I think I may have wasted too many words on extra-curricular stuff, though my English tutor seemed to think it was good.
When I had my interview at Warwick, the interviewer actually said that one of the things that really impressed her about my PS was that I had written so much about why I love English & the books I enjoy, rather than hobbies/ extra-curricula activities (little did she know that's just cause I'm too lazy to do any of that stuff )

Btw, a good PS can help soooo much... I think they'd already decided to make me an offer before I went in - which meant that it didn't matter that I was babbling insanely due to nerves all the way through. And one of my best mates got an offer for an AAB even tho she got ABCC at AS just cause they really liked her PS + reference.

Good luck w/ it
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm at Cambridge reading English (first year). If you want me to read through your PS and give some tips, feel free to PM me .
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I'm at Cambridge reading English (first year). If you want me to read through your PS and give some tips, feel free to PM me .
Although do it tommorow because she is drunk
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Although do it tommorow because she is drunk
bloody cover-blower.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
Thanks,
Jo
I'm at Thames Valley Univeristy, currently doing a 'David Beckam Studies' degree. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

That was a Joke, by the way, more like 'Golf Course Management'.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I'm at Thames Valley Univeristy, currently doing a 'David Beckam Studies' degree. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Oi, you, I wasn't "showing off"
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Might be a joke but I bet there is a 'football history' degree somewhere or will be in the future, and I'm sure mr.Beckham will figure greatly in that
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Oi, you, I wasn't "showing off"
Nor was I.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I thought you were doing culinary arts management with MJG lol
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I thought you were doing culinary arts management with MJG lol
Yes, now observe me whilst I chop a fine cucummber into many slices. I'm sure that I initially enroled for cutlery studies. :rolleyes:
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well I'm still reconsidering reapplying to another uni to see if I can do joint hons law and surfing
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
well I'm still reconsidering reapplying to another uni to see if I can do joint hons law and surfing
The web or the sea?
Tiger
(Original post by Acid_Rain)
When I had my interview at Warwick, the interviewer actually said that one of the things that really impressed her about my PS was that I had written so much about why I love English & the books I enjoy, rather than hobbies/ extra-curricula activities (little did she know that's just cause I'm too lazy to do any of that stuff )

Btw, a good PS can help soooo much... I think they'd already decided to make me an offer before I went in - which meant that it didn't matter that I was babbling insanely due to nerves all the way through. And one of my best mates got an offer for an AAB even tho she got ABCC at AS just cause they really liked her PS + reference.

Good luck w/ it
Thanks so much for that, it's helpful to have some contstuctive criticism rather than ppl going "mmm, yeah, that's weird" (my English teacher)!
One of the best things about a gap year is all the time that i'm gonna have for reading, so my next PS is gonna have a lot more about books in.
Out of interest, did you talk generally about loving English as a subject, or more specifically about different authors etc.?
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
Thanks so much for that, it's helpful to have some contstuctive criticism rather than ppl going "mmm, yeah, that's weird" (my English teacher)!
One of the best things about a gap year is all the time that i'm gonna have for reading, so my next PS is gonna have a lot more about books in.
Out of interest, did you talk generally about loving English as a subject, or more specifically about different authors etc.?
Hm, both I think - but mostly the books I read. I gave some titles of specific books and then referred more widely to authors or even whole genres that I enjoy.

One thing - even if you adore Shakespeare, don't go on about it too much. Apparently it's seen as a bit of a cliche for English PSs.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, now observe me whilst I chop a fine cucummber into many slices. I'm sure that I initially enroled for cutlery studies. :rolleyes:
I would say being a world class chef is both more difficult and more useful than an English Literature graduate but that's me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (426)
43.69%
No (104)
10.67%
I'm not old enough (445)
45.64%

Watched Threads