UK students at Queens? and! Queens nightlife Watch

JordanC55
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey! I thought I'd post a quick question really. I've got an offer for English and Linguistics at Queens, I really like the look of the course and am considering firming Queens, my main question is how are UK student received? Well, like English students! I'm from Newcastle and my worry with going to N.I is the hostility over there at the moment how will I be received as an English student?

My Art teacher is from NI and she said Queens is a good university, but I thought I'd ask about the nightlife, like in Newcastle the nightlife is amazing; I was wondering if Belfast's is good as well?

Also, what is Belfast like as a city?

the reason for all the questions is I have all 5 of my offers back so it's came down to selecting between them and I really like Queens, but I worry about Northern Ireland.
Coonor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JordanC55)
Hey! I thought I'd post a quick question really. I've got an offer for English and Linguistics at Queens, I really like the look of the course and am considering firming Queens, my main question is how are UK student received? Well, like English students! I'm from Newcastle and my worry with going to N.I is the hostility over there at the moment how will I be received as an English student?

My Art teacher is from NI and she said Queens is a good university, but I thought I'd ask about the nightlife, like in Newcastle the nightlife is amazing; I was wondering if Belfast's is good as well?

the reason for all the questions is I have all 5 of my offers back so it's came down to selecting between them and I really like Queens, but I worry about Northern Ireland.
Hi,

I'm from Guernsey and have two offers from Queens. Although I've never lived in Belfast, my dad is from there and I have visited many times. In fact I'm just back from visiting the university.

I absolutely love Belfast, I was in the Botanic Inn (around the uni area) on Sunday and it was just brilliant. Irish people are so friendly, they just love having fun. I find the people in Belfast are far more tolerant and open than most other places in the UK. I have been around many places in Belfast and as a person from outside Northern Ireland, I can safely say the area around Queens is one of the nicest and most welcoming parts of Belfast.

The city overall is a very youthful place, I personally feel far safer there than I would in Manchester, Dublin or Birmingham. I won't lye, there are some places which are rough but is that not the same with all cities?

Obviously I cant compare the Belfast nightlife with Newcastles as I have never been there, but the Queens area and all the way into the city centre is full of bars and clubs. I don't think you'd have a problem with the nightlife, bare in mind a lot of students from Northern Ireland go home on the weekends, but there's an increasing number of international students and people from England, Wales and Scotland attending the uni and therefore more and more people say during the weekends. The Queens area is not just used by university students. I know countless younger people living around the city and attending colleges who also use the area.

Hope this helps
DK_Tipp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Belfast is a great city. I go to uni just outside the city in Jordanstown. People are very friendly and welcoming. You have to be a little bit politically aware at certain times but it's not really a problem until flags and parades are mentioned...

As for nightlife- it's pretty decent, there's a good variety of stuff going on. I would mention that there isn't 24 hour drinking so closing times might be a bit earlier than they are in Newcastle. Also as the previous poster mentioned most NI students go home at the weekend so it's a pretty local crowd on Friday/Saturday apart from a few students from the South, Britain and abroad.
Scotty2394
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi!

I'll just start by saying you should definitely pick Queen's as your firm choice. Though being from NI myself, I may be slightly biased!

I myself have decided to stay in NI and to go to Queen's to study law next year. Many NI students fail to realise what a superb university it is because they simply want to get as far away from home as possible! I live about 30 miles from Belfast, but still feel I will get as good a university experience as anywhere else I may go to.

I'll have you know I did apply for Law at Newcastle University and Northumbria, and indeed I thought Newcastle university was fantastic! The nightlife is also a bonus!

But trust me, Belfast will give you as good a univeristy experience as any of the larger British cities, everything is within easy reach by foot, and the people are all very friendly, I would know! Shopping is fantastic, especially Victoria Square, there is a good variety of restaurants in Queen's quarter, and there is nightlife to suit all tastes! Regarding what was said in a previous post about many NI students going home at the weekend, I can assure you that as many stay in Belfast at the weekend, I'll be one of them!

The English people have this presumption that we are very hostile regarding politics, but at worst we may get into a heated debate with you! We understand that you don't really understand everything about our country's political life!

So in all, I would say go for it, after all you're going to face £9k fees a year regardless of where you end up, so you may as well embrace a new experience!

You may be surprised at the sense of culture shock you have, whilst we are a part of the UK, there are inevitably many aspects of Irish culture present within our country! I certainly found Newcastle and the way of life in England surprisingly different to back home, but perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to leave me a post, I'll be more than willing to try and answer your queries, or to convince you that Queen's is the right choice for you! :P
Cmca1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The question you are asking is one that comes up every year - so lots of students have been in your exact position

Firstly, I'm second year at Queen's and I've loved it - I'm from N.Ireland. Queen's is a great uni - it's one of the Russell Group unis, it has top facilities for study, research and extracurricular activities. The SU is pretty good as well!

The perception that English students are less well received is a backward and unfortunate consequence of the history in Belfast, but it certainly is not the case in modern Belfast. The areas where trouble and violence remains, for the most part are far beyond the leafy University Area at Queen's, so never worry about that!

Belfast nightlife is great I think! I can't compare to Newcastle, because whilst I've heard a lot about it, I've never actually been, haha! That said, Belfast has some great spots for a night out, ranging from the traditional Irish pubs, to sports bars
and nightclubs! My only criticism is the early closing hours for some places, at about 1 or 2am, but if you can see past that, you'll have a good night out!

Hope this helps!
fallofsaigon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've just put Queen's as my insurance - one thing I consistently hear is that all the NI students go home at the weekends, leaving all the GB/Intl. students alone - I really wouldn't want to be all alone in the accommodation! Can anyone shed any light on what it's like in reality?
Jahlila
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi! I was at Queen's on Thursday, because as someone from Norfolk, I was also worried about UK students. I found that everyone was very friendly, and as has been stated, people seem a lot more courteous there than in a lot of the UK itself I find.

I was only there for the day though, so I couldn't say about the nightlife :P

Belfast's a very nice city. Quite quiet, and I personally would call it pretty - South Belfast at least, as that's really all I managed to see. There's some very nice restaurants there, and I hear the cinema offers tickets for £3 on Tuesdays - also, Belfast is apparently the 2nd safest city in the world, and one of the cheapest for student living in the UK.

I just put down QUB as my insurance, though I'm already kicking myself for not firming it...
DK_Tipp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fallofsaigon)
I've just put Queen's as my insurance - one thing I consistently hear is that all the NI students go home at the weekends, leaving all the GB/Intl. students alone - I really wouldn't want to be all alone in the accommodation! Can anyone shed any light on what it's like in reality?
Yeah- that pretty much is the reality. I'm from the Republic myself so I don't get home every weekend and it is quiet from Friday evening on in the student areas. There's still plenty happening in Belfast, if you're friendly with a few Belfast based students, Internationals, GB/ROI students it's not so bad.
Coonor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fallofsaigon)
First of all you will placed in accomodation with some students who aren't from NI in order to not be alone. Moreover, as time goes on more people remain at the accomodation during the weekends as studying becomes more intensive and student life becomes more independent.

Remember, uni life isn't just about the student area. Belfast is a hive of activity on the weekend.
Cmca1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would recommend any of you considering going to Queen's to check out the links below to get a better idea about what accommodation is like in Belfast and the types of student-orientated events throughout the week.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Queen...982870?fref=ts

I know there are lots of events for those who stay in Elms Village over the weekend.

Also, check the SU Facebook page below as well.

https://www.facebook.com/qubsu.org?fref=ts#

Lots of NI students do go home at the weekends but many do still stay up because of jobs, doing work or because they live far from home. Also, international, other UK and southern Irish students will still be about in the student areas, plus other stuff will be going on around the city.

There are some benefits from things being quieter at the weekend - you could get more work done and you could earn money with a part-time job too!

Hope this helps a bit more
Floraa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am in this situation. I really like Queen's but I'm stuck between choosing Belfast or another Uni. I currently have an offer for History and from Manchester where the nightlife is relatively varied.

I went to Belfast the other weekend and was really shocked when everywhere closed up at exactly 2.00am!

Does anyone know if there's many Alternative/Indie or Retro nights in Belfast? I can't stand cheesy club music
Coonor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Floraa)
I am in this situation. I really like Queen's but I'm stuck between choosing Belfast or another Uni. I currently have an offer for History and from Manchester where the nightlife is relatively varied.

I went to Belfast the other weekend and was really shocked when everywhere closed up at exactly 2.00am!

Does anyone know if there's many Alternative/Indie or Retro nights in Belfast? I can't stand cheesy club music
First of all it's not necessarily true that all clubs shut up at 2am. Take for example Rain which opens until 3am alongside other clubs in the Odyssey which remain open until 3am.

The Empire and Limelight may be more up your street in terms of Alternative music and MClub holds 80s nights on Friday to satisfy your retro tastes.
hollo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was a GB student at Queen's - personally I would recommend spending a bit of time over in NI before deciding if it is for you or not. There is a massive difference in culture which people either seem to love or hate!

The uni is making a big effort to attract more GB students and there were quite a few things on at the weekend to try to encourage people to stay. I also think they put non-NI students together in halls so you won't be left alone, though it really is a ghost town when, come Friday afternoon, you see half the student population heading towards the bus station! Nobody will care that you're English as long as you're not being an idiot.

In terms of nightlife, you'll have a blast. Clubs aren't open as late but you just go earlier and get a better sleep! Plus there's always the late night Chinese..

Queen's has some really great facilities and an absolutely brilliant library. I do think it takes some effort to fit in as a GB student, as you fall somewhere between 'home' and 'international'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads