Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice to choose university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got the offers for computer science from the following universities: Durham, Loughbrough, Reading, but hard for me to choose one from them. I need someone to give me suggestion to choose one. Which one has good reputation in computer science area?

ReputationRep:
    I think out of those, Reading has the best reputation for Comp Sci, Durham doesn't (even though it has a good rep for other courses, eg. Law, Physics).

(Original post by Legend)
    I got the offers for computer science from the following universities: Durham, Loughbrough, Reading, but hard for me to choose one from them. I need someone to give me suggestion to choose one. Which one has good reputation in computer science area?
    If you want a very good course then Reding is the way to go. If you want very good employment prospects then Loughborough is supposed to be great (due to sandwich courses). If you want somewhere that isn't really great for Comp Sci but is really pretty then Durham could be for you. You should make sure you visit all of them though!!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend)
    I'm biased cos I live in Reading but It's such a nice area! And it's good for shopping and the night life isn't bad. I think it's well respected for computer-science too. Plus London is only 20 minutes on a train. Go there!

ReputationRep:
    Only you can decide.

It needs top be about more than just the course, as you have to like there for three odd years too.

Go and revisit the Unis if you need help deciding. Look at things like alumni in Comp Sci, funding levels in the dept, crime rates in area, cost of living etc....

ReputationRep:
    I think Fluffy was right, the ranking should not be the only factor to choose the university. I think Luffbro could be the right choise after consideration, maybe it's not the best but could be more appropriate for me.

ReputationRep:
    personally i'd pick reading

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.